LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Haganap, bearing in mind that I am dense with technical things..... to have my tv sound running through the radio speakers, when I buy the 12v plug adaptor, do I have to plug the tv into the dashboard socket or can I sort it (and how) to be plugged into the 12v socket in the van please.

Sorry I know before I start that it is probably a daft question, but I don't know the answer.:Sad:

bandit

Free Member
Oct 2, 2011
Widnes,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
is avtex worth the money

Good morning all,i my self have 2 avtex televisions ,1 in my wagon W150T which is just straight tv,the one we bought at the show is W185TD,which does everything including playing DVD,recoding,and play back also pause.With being a steering wheel attendant i have tried numerous tv models.These two sets come with 2 leads 12-24vlt and mains.yes they are expensive but i like them with free veiw built in.no set top box in wagon.all the best.THE BANDIT:thumb::thumb::thumb:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Bit off-topic.... but what's a steering wheel attendant?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Haganap, bearing in mind that I am dense with technical things..... to have my tv sound running through the radio speakers, when I buy the 12v plug adaptor, do I have to plug the tv into the dashboard socket or can I sort it (and how) to be plugged into the 12v socket in the van please.

Sorry I know before I start that it is probably a daft question, but I don't know the answer.:Sad:

Hi Joy, In my new ultra posh van :winky: I have the entertainment pack fitted. This is inclusive of drop down TV/ Reversing camera and sat nav and Radio combined feature. You could o that route but thats expensive.

Further back you will see a post from someone referring to a gizmo that you get. I have this same gizmo for my Iphone. Basically, you tune your stereo on to a defunct wave. Say 89.9 fm. You then tune your plugged in Gizmo to the same 89.9fm. Then, what happens is that your TV transmits the signal to your radio and then of course your radio plays what it receives. I can show you my Iphone one at the New year meet, only cost me about a tenner and well well worth it. :thumb:

bandit

Free Member
Oct 2, 2011
Widnes,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
steering wheel attendant................

Morning Movan,A steering wheel attendant is a posh word for a HGV driver,I hope you are very well on this very cold day,im tipping in in a papermill at Darwin,very slushy.We have had no snow where i live,but snow on the surrounding hills.all the best.THE BANDIT

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
We have an AVTEX TV. Picture is superb, [HI][/HI]sound is poor[HI][/HI]. Lots of features though.
Easy to re-tune DTV from site to site.

Also on the plus side is that when we bought the TV the power lead was not suitable for where the TV sits (had a straight connector, and we needed a 90 deg connector - tight space). Phoned AVTEX and they sent out a new lead in the post FOC. Can't argue at the service.
As I.m bleeden deaf, dont care as long as the subtitles are ok :Smile:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Avtex are renowned for their superb service, had a problem with the DVD drive on mine, called them and they arranged for a courier to collect it that afternoon, it was courier delivered 2 days later!!:thumb:
I wish i bought one of these now.I just bought a Enox multi function tv,the dvd player is u/s.
Contacted TV Village sales, they passed me to someone else, they forgot my tel number ,they cant open my mails,they don`t know my phone number they have no replacements in stock---:Eeek:--- Seconds to buy--weeks to resolve :Eeek:
No one wants to know :cry:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I wish i bought one of these now.I just bought a Enox multi function tv,the dvd player is u/s.
Contacted TV Village sales, they passed me to someone else, they forgot my tel number ,they cant open my mails,they don`t know my phone number they have no replacements in stock---:Eeek:--- Seconds to buy--weeks to resolve :Eeek:
No one wants to know :cry:

That's where the extra cost is justified, a truly remarkable back up service. :thumb:

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I have the same aversion to 'camping-specific' as I do to 'cycle-specific'. In both cases the aim seems to be to persuade you that other [non-camping/cycle specific] products either won't work or aren't fit for purpose. With the telly - we decided one would be good for rainy evenings [psychic, eh?] and did a bit of research on here and elsewhere. When I discovered that some/many small tellies work off 12V adapters my eyes lit up...

Browsing the shelves at Asda, and ferreting behind the tellies to see which had 12V transformers, I found an Evotel 19incher, with integral DVD player, on display at £100. As there were no others on the shelves, I offered them £80 for the display model, which they accepted. The 12v regulator [as my research suggested that running below 12V MIGHT be a problem] cost another £15 from Maplins. Result? Excellent picture, you can set the country you're in to anywhere in Europe to get their free-to-air channels [and I have to say, French TV is utter rubbish]. And Asda even forgot to remove the free DVD that they had said I wouldn't be entitled to on the display model...making me one happy and frugal bunny!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have an Avtex supplied by Eddie at Vanbitz.

The first time I had a chance to watch it properly was when Wales smashed England in the 6 Nations.

With Eddie being a vocal English supporter, it made the investment in the Avtex all the sweeter.

::bigsmile:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
[HI]I have the same aversion to 'camping-specific' [/HI]as I do to 'cycle-specific'. In both cases the aim seems to be to persuade you that other [non-camping/cycle specific] products either won't work or aren't fit for purpose. With the telly - we decided one would be good for rainy evenings [psychic, eh?] and did a bit of research on here and elsewhere. When I discovered that some/many small tellies work off 12V adapters my eyes lit up...

Browsing the shelves at Asda, and ferreting behind the tellies to see which had 12V transformers, I found an Evotel 19incher, with integral DVD player, on display at £100. As there were no others on the shelves, I offered them £80 for the display model, which they accepted. The 12v regulator [as my research suggested that running below 12V MIGHT be a problem] cost another £15 from Maplins. Result? Excellent picture, you can set the country you're in to anywhere in Europe to get their free-to-air channels [and I have to say, French TV is utter rubbish]. And Asda even forgot to remove the free DVD that they had said I wouldn't be entitled to on the display model...making me one happy and frugal bunny!

I have the 19" Avtex, I bought 2 pivotable mounting brackets, one fitted in the motorhome and the other in our bedroom at home, the backing plate on the TV has a v shaped section on it that slides into the wall mounted section of the bracket, I just swap the TV from the house to the M/H and back again as needed, the 240v transformer stays in the house, the 12v lead in the van, we get our usage out of the set this way simples.
:thumb:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Further back you will see a post from someone referring to a gizmo that you get. I have this same gizmo for my Iphone. Basically, you tune your stereo on to a defunct wave. Say 89.9 fm. You then tune your plugged in Gizmo to the same 89.9fm. Then, what happens is that your TV transmits the signal to your radio and then of course your radio plays what it receives. I can show you my Iphone one at the New year meet, only cost me about a tenner and well well worth it. :thumb:
Hi Hagnap; Just wondering if you can remember what or where that (gizmo) is?
When i get my TV back i could do with sending sound through system amp/speakers so kids can hear donald duck on the move :Eeek:

quarryjmiller

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
I have an Avtex supplied by Eddie at Vanbitz.

The first time I had a chance to watch it properly was when Wales smashed England in the 6 Nations.

With Eddie being a vocal English supporter, it made the investment in the Avtex all the sweeter.

::bigsmile:

I reckon you and the video referee both had a dodgy telly on that day - we wuz robbed, the ref was obviously fond of sheep.

We've got a Comet 19" own brand with DVD & Freeview in our van (Toshiba innards), I lay on the floor to check the viewing angle (excellent) before buying it and a middle aged lady assistant (you don't get many of them in Comet) who wandered into the aisle found me lying there and asked without a hint of irony 'motorhome or caravan'? There was a time when a glimpse of a well turned knee did it for me but these days that kind of question ranks up there with "pork pie or pasty?"

A £15 regulator from Ebay and the whole lot came to just over £160.

Have to admit to being tempted by a 22" LG LED screen with 12v in £159 Currys, eyes not what they used to be - could end up with a 42" Plasma as per Max & Paddy - TVs getting cheaper, Specsavers getting dearer.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Fine if you are on EHU or run a genny at night but a bit power hungry for battery power, we are rarely on EHU or genny so the Avtex is great for us :thumb:

quarryjmiller

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
Fine if you are on EHU or run a genny at night but a bit power hungry for battery power, we are rarely on EHU or genny so the Avtex is great for us :thumb:

I think that you may have got hold of the wrong end of the stick, we run from 12v just like an Avtex, we don't use an inverter, power consumption is pretty well identical. In fact if we do switch to the LED screen the power consumption is actually lower.

Like a good many small televisions both sets that I have referred to use external power supplies (usually a black box), 220v in and 12v out, put that power supply away and plug the unit straight into your 12v supply (we use a £15 regulator as extra security against battery voltage drop), Maplins or Ebay sell them.

Most people that have bought Avtex seem to like them and it sounds as though their customer service is admirable but it is not the cheapest or the only solution, you do not have to run a generator or go on ehu to run a tv bought from a high street store as long as you choose one with an external psu that runs at 12v and the vast majority do.

If you like a solution straight out of a box then it (Avtex) is the way to go for you, all I am saying is there are other options and you do not have to compromise picture quality or convenience.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back