Is an A class too extravagant for one? (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built 105
Exp
Since Feb 2019 newbie
I’m so sorry for your loss. Last year we went to the Motorhome show at South Downs. While walking back to our van, I started chatting to a chap on his own with his dog. He too had lost his wife but decided to downsize to a campervan with a basic loo and no shower. The communal showers on site had been closed due to Covid, and he was saying he wished he still had the old van with shower. Give it a while before you make any decisions if financially you can. There’s still time to adapt but I wish you the very best and to anyone who is also solo travelling too.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
So sad to hear about your wife 💔. My first thought is to take some time, with the van you have, to see how it goes. M second thought is that you need a van that makes you feel good, that you want to be in: a van that makes you smile whenever you set foot inside. If an A class does that then that is what you should have.

Swansea Roma

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Swansea
Funster No
MH
lo profile coachbuilt
Exp
When my wife and I were looking to upgrade 3.5 years ago we chose a Bavaria i740 because it gave us more space, a great fridge an island bed and on board bathroom facilities that meant my wife, with advanced ms could use on bad days with us being totally self sufficient. We loved it and it allowed us to travel about within our own perfect environment. Sadly my wife died recently aged 52. The dust has yet to settle but I have been thinking about what to do with the van. My initial thought was to use it a bit and see how I felt about it. I wondered whether it would be better to buy a day type van and use it as a daily driver also.
I managed to get away for a few days before the latest lockdown and went to a small site in Whitchurch called Bramblewood Caravan Park. I used the shower in the van for the first time and found that it's actually quite good. I enjoyed my few days and realised that I do love the van. We bought the van new with some money I had at the time. If I sell it I'm unlikely to be able to buy something of that high cost again. I will only be able to move down the scale price wise.
In May I will be finishing a work contract. I'm not sure if I will be working again. I'm undecided about that. If I don't work it will give me the opportunity to travel about a bit. When we went to the continent previously, fuel costs were quite high as the mpgs in this van aren't great ( low to mid 20s). But Im also wondering whether it's just a bit extravagant to travel around alone in an A Class.
I'm also a little bit concerned that I may be a bit lonely motorhoming on my own. My wife and I were sociable sorts but often found that, whilst people on sites would exchange a few passing pleasantries that's about as far as it went. When I was part of a couple it didn't matter. I'm now wondering whether joining rallies may be better for me. My wife and I had always intended to take part in organised rallies but just never got round to it.
So I'm wondering whether to sell it and get a smaller van, or get a day van, dispensing of the need for a car. I'm just worried that I may regret moving down in van size, having enjoyed a bit if space and luxury.
Thought would be appreciated. Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Swansea Roma

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Swansea
Funster No
MH
lo profile coachbuilt
Exp
I lost my husband 4 years ago. I decided to make a decision after a year passed. I would keep it if I found a way to use it. Until 2020 I used my Chausson Allegro 83 as accommodation all through 3 summers of festivals at which I volunteered then worked. I had never been to a festival before and my first year I did Download, Glastonbury, Lattitude, Cambridge Folk and Glasgow Summer Sessions. I met my new partner and we are so glad I didn’t sell the van even though it felt too big for one.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Some really emotional messages on this thread and truly makes me feel proud to be a member of this forum .
Geoff , you have a lovely motorhome . At the moment I can’t see it going down in price much in the next year ,so please think about keeping it and using it when restrictions allow 👍🏻

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I can only really echo the words everyone else has said in that I so very sorry for your loss.
I think if Robert was in your position he would probably downsize, BUT that is just him, you need to hang on for a while and just see if it still works for you as you are now, don't make any snap decisions.
I am certain your wife will be happy with anything you decide on.
There are some wonderful people on here for you to meet as you go along, some you'll get on with & have a giggle, others you may want to slap.....I think I could be one of the latter.
Whatever you do smile the way your wife would want you to.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
So sorry for your loss , personally I would keep the A class if you sell it you might find you have to put some more money in the pot because some say van derived M/homes cost a lot of money ,plus keeping something you love, and looking at values you can buy a lot of diesel for say a £1000

Last edited:

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Hi Geoff like everyone else on here im sorry that you are in this position
When I split from my ex partner we had a newish coach built van that I thought was way too big for just me and I didn't think I would be going away on my own so I sold and then decided I wanted a day van so I could go away for the odd weekend and as I had gained custody of the dog it seemed ideal however within about 3 months I had realised I wanted a loo in the van and wanted to ad to stand up so j bought a autosleepers duetto a brilliant layout and fairly roomy for a PVC and 18 months later ice just got another coach built because I'm fed up being cramped and having to make the bed every night
So if I were you I'd stick with the AClass and if you are worried about the MPG a defensive driving course may help I've seen fuel improvements of 10 percent in some cases

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I am so sorry about your wife.

Like so many have said, don’t rush into changing anything. Keep your lovely van with its happy memories. If the memories become too sad perhaps that would be the time to change it. Don’t worry about the cost if you don’t have to, I doubt many of us will be doing loads of miles this year but hopefully a few.

The rallies or meets or whatever we call them this year are a nice way to meet people. Lots of singles. You can mix as much or as little as you want. Last year was different obviously but we still managed some gatherings with SD in place with some newbies. The big ones might be a bit overwhelming. I am more gregarious than Nick and I rather bullied him into the ralllies but he’s got the hang of them now!

Good luck. Wombles organises some crackers as does Emmit . There are others but we have been to a few of theirs recently.

Raymond Bonello

Free Member
May 20, 2017
MALTA
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
6years
Hello Geoff
Very sad to hear about the loss of your wife. It takes some time to heal. Many suggested that you keep the van for some time and I agree. See how it goes. However, if the space is not needed for a single person I will opt for somethng smaller. In the meantime get intouch with friends and enjoy their company. Always keep in touch

Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, Geoff, I’ve only just read this thread and wanted to add my sincere condolences to you.
I would agree with many others on here who advocate a ‘wait and see’ policy as regards changing your Motorhome - especially as you seem to like your current van. I’m no expert in such matters, but I wonder how the likely cost implications of changing your van would stack up against the depreciation costs?

OP
OP
GeoffC

GeoffC

Free Member
Nov 5, 2016
Prescot
Funster No
MH
A Class Bavaria i740
Exp
since 2012
Just as an update to this. I've managed to use the van a few times since lockdown ended and I did enjoy it. I felt happy in the van with great and find memories to think back on. Motorhoming on your own is a bit different. But I did manage to get talking to a few different people which was good. Even when in a pub a large family group invited me into their company to join them. Something else which I'm really pleased about is that my 26 year old daughter has used the van for two weekends with her boyfriend. As I write this they are presently in Llangollen at Abbey Farm. As she still lives at home it didn't cost much to put her on the insurance. We went out for a couple of test drives and she was fine. Her using the van sort of makes it a family asset which I'm really pleased about.
So the bottom line is... Things are progressing well and I'm slowly getting used to things.
Thanks for all the advice and tips.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Sorry to hear about losing your wife. If I was in your position I would keep the A class and enjoy it, sure your wife would say the same looking down on you. Go on some rallies and meet other like minded folk. Don’t be scared to talk to peaple, if they shun you because your single them it’s them that has a problem not you. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. (y)
👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆
I absolutely couldn't agree more with Mikey RV.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I would definitely hold off for a little while before making any big decisions if you can. Give yourself time to adjust to your new camping/travelling situation and see what you feel is best for you.
I haven't been in your situation, but I travel solo and have had lots of happy times and have made some great friends through having my van. I can have my own space when I need it, and meet up with folk and chat to folk when I feel like company.
Whatever you decide to do, all the very best in it.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just as an update to this. I've managed to use the van a few times since lockdown ended and I did enjoy it. I felt happy in the van with great and find memories to think back on. Motorhoming on your own is a bit different. But I did manage to get talking to a few different people which was good. Even when in a pub a large family group invited me into their company to join them. Something else which I'm really pleased about is that my 26 year old daughter has used the van for two weekends with her boyfriend. As I write this they are presently in Llangollen at Abbey Farm. As she still lives at home it didn't cost much to put her on the insurance. We went out for a couple of test drives and she was fine. Her using the van sort of makes it a family asset which I'm really pleased about.
So the bottom line is... Things are progressing well and I'm slowly getting used to things.
That is good to hear. I hope it continues.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thanks for coming back and updating us.

Good luck

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Lovely to hear that life is getting better for you Geoff, and that you're getting used to a different way of life with your daughter near.

Glad to hear the motorhome is being used, and enjoyed. Get yourself to some Fun meets when you can - you definitely won't be lonely - you'll probably want to sneak off to get some peace and quiet before long! :rofl:

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
We've got a 4 berth with a french bed and shower at the back , there's only 2 of us in it but it's plenty big enough , I'd be perfctly happy to go for extended trips alone in it

It's getting a towbar fitted next week because the only thing I don't like about motorhoming is trying to park the bloody thing in small towns so I'll be towing a smart car

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Geoff thanks for reporting back to us, especially since the decision you made to keep the MH seems to have a happy outcome for you and your daughter, as what you call a 'family asset'

Just for other members coming to this thread afresh and maybe not approaching the single use of an 'A' Class for the sad reason of the loss of Geoff's (OP) wife.

Our 'A' Class N&B Arto was my first MH and I was still (first-time) single 12 years ago. It was the layout I wanted, garage, fixed bed panorama window etc. and I did not feel it was too big for me. It happened that 2 years later I got together with Basia, so now it is ideal for two of us, plus we used to take her Mother with us up to 3 years ago so we needed the space.

Even if I were single again I would not have anything other than an 'A' Class for feeling of space.

Geoff N

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Sorry to hear of your loss.

The MH will be cathartic for both you and you daughter, she will be grieving too and it will be a link to her mum for her too.

You may find in time time you find someone else to share it with?

All the best.

Cheers James

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
I am so sorry for your loss. I have a saying, if you don’t know what to do, do nothing, you love your van so keep it for a while. We rescued a sweet dog and noticed so many more people spoke to us, I don’t know if this is an option for you, although a big responsibility. If you to to Spain or Portugal, try the Camper Parks, they are smaller and very friendly. Enjoy your travels x

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
When my wife and I were looking to upgrade 3.5 years ago we chose a Bavaria i740 because it gave us more space, a great fridge an island bed and on board bathroom facilities that meant my wife, with advanced ms could use on bad days with us being totally self sufficient. We loved it and it allowed us to travel about within our own perfect environment. Sadly my wife died recently aged 52. The dust has yet to settle but I have been thinking about what to do with the van. My initial thought was to use it a bit and see how I felt about it. I wondered whether it would be better to buy a day type van and use it as a daily driver also.
I managed to get away for a few days before the latest lockdown and went to a small site in Whitchurch called Bramblewood Caravan Park. I used the shower in the van for the first time and found that it's actually quite good. I enjoyed my few days and realised that I do love the van. We bought the van new with some money I had at the time. If I sell it I'm unlikely to be able to buy something of that high cost again. I will only be able to move down the scale price wise.
In May I will be finishing a work contract. I'm not sure if I will be working again. I'm undecided about that. If I don't work it will give me the opportunity to travel about a bit. When we went to the continent previously, fuel costs were quite high as the mpgs in this van aren't great ( low to mid 20s). But Im also wondering whether it's just a bit extravagant to travel around alone in an A Class.
I'm also a little bit concerned that I may be a bit lonely motorhoming on my own. My wife and I were sociable sorts but often found that, whilst people on sites would exchange a few passing pleasantries that's about as far as it went. When I was part of a couple it didn't matter. I'm now wondering whether joining rallies may be better for me. My wife and I had always intended to take part in organised rallies but just never got round to it.
So I'm wondering whether to sell it and get a smaller van, or get a day van, dispensing of the need for a car. I'm just worried that I may regret moving down in van size, having enjoyed a bit if space and luxury.
Thought would be appreciated. Geoff

View attachment 457230
Keep it !! Use it !! Enjoy yourself !!
Anyone that loved you would want that for you. !!
Mitch

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back