Is a Tracker worth it? (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Most decent trackers will activate when a door or window is tampered with, which with a monitored system is very useful alert as motorhomes are more at risk of having equipment taken than the whole vehicle. Fridges, aircon units etc are far easier to shift and sell.

So the trackers are using a motion sensor ? So will the police come out to a motion sensing alarm in your static van ? and how many false alert call outs do you get per year ?

Somebody also mentioned a GPS jamming system is sometimes used, would the crims also be able to jam a mobile phone signal from a dual SIM/GPS based tracker system ? TIA for any info :thumb:

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
The question was, is a tracker worth it ?

Answer,

If your motorhome is stolen, yes.

If its not, no.

:RollEyes:

inverse logic at its best....:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
inverse logic at its best....:Doh:

nope, just pure simple honest advice :winky:

If your van's stolen, you'll wish you had one....

if it ain't

You'll wish you woud'nt of spent ya cash.:Cool::Cool::Cool:

If it were me? we don't have one, I therefore know my van's gonna get stolen...
If I nip and get one, I know it aint going to get nicked.

Nothing to do with Inverse logic,

It's called,,,

The law of sod:thumb:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
There is no straight answers. Jammers have been around for ages and they're illegal to own so you would be in trouble if you were caught with one.

I have discussed with with people at Thatcham and manufactures and there is no eveidence to suggest that the use of GPS/GSM jammers is widespread.

Thieves can break into things, yet when we catch them we "lock the up" :whatthe: Surely they could simply "break out again"

The reality is that the more precautions people take the harder it is for people to get in/out

I still maintain that if my motorhome was stolen on holiday by nicking my keys I would be grateful for a Tracked return.

However, I use a different system with GSM immobilisation so when I arrive on a site for example, I send an immobilisation command from mine or my wifes phone and there is an immobiliser buried deep in the vehicle that will not allow the motorhome to start without being sent the correct message from one of the two phones. No wires to trace, no dash mounted device as part of the immobiliser just wont start.

Then I tend to put all of the other keys to the motorhome in the safe leaving just the side door and the Strikeback fob out for daily use.

Worked so far :roflmto:

Eddie

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Eddie the use of
http://www.logictoyz.com/security-/signals-jammer-blocker/

is a lot more widespread than you think eg. lorry drivers use them so they cannot be tracked all day when they want to disappear for an hour or two from the firms tracker system.

I agree the best thing to do is fit an alarm system and anyone thinking of buying one I can say that [HI]Vanbitz[/HI] use quality sensors not cheap pin switches, they fit a purpose designed alarm and after owning a van with one of their systems I can say it is a much improved alarm compared to most others I have had.
I would not hesitate to recommend them they have no hard sell at the shows only good advice and DO NOT try to sell you something you do not want or need.

Spud312R

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Bishops Stortford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
SInce 1985
If you have ever had a motorhome or car stolen and recoverd with a tracker fitted , returned, repaired , looks like new ...
Then try to sell it and get insured again (even with protected no claims) then think again... (i have had both....)

You will easily lose between 10-15% value when selling, as soon as they find out its a stolen recovered (hpi checks etc), the price will drop.
Insurance will sting you, as you have made a claim as well..

Until the tracker companies start to work with the police and insurance companies, so that the stolen/recovered stigma can be completely removed, and this goes for all the 3rd party companies that buy the major insurances companies claims info , i will never purchase and use a tracker again

Norm

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Lower Froyle, Alton, Hampshire Surrey borders
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
Just had tracker fitted to our new Burstner - Insurers insisted on it!
Was to be Cobra but now taken over as Vodafone Automotive. (Without being told!) Their welcome letter had wrong info recorded so tried calling their customer service line (at 3p per minute) and left hanging on as all operatives presumably busy. Tried leaving name and number on voicemail but that was "full". Don't know now what to expect if M/Home is stolen ?? Eventually had a call from them (took best part of a week and a complaint to installers) and they say problems experienced with takeover but they are getting sorted.

BEWARE Cobra / Vodafone Aytomotive !!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back