Is a solar panel classed as a modification? (1 Viewer)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
My new-to-me MoHo has a small solar panel on the roof (unbeknown to the dealer selling it but Barrie spotted the control box on the test drive!).

Is that classed as a modification?

Saga comes in as the cheapest quote but doesn't want to know if I tick the modified box.

Next best quote is £80 more so I just might take the solar panel off!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
My new-to-me MoHo has a small solar panel on the roof (unbeknown to the dealer selling it but Barrie spotted the control box on the test drive!).

Saga comes in as the cheapest quote but doesn't want to know if I tick the modified box.

Modifications refer to anything that may affect the performance or handling of the vehicle, such as up rated suspension, engine upgrade etc.

Accessories are not modifications

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
The best thing would be check what they say at Saga. I'm sure they won't consider it a mod. and I would certainly not remove it!

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Usually YES.
If something has been added extra from original spec ie solar, towbar etc then add it on. I have never found it to have made any difference to the insurance quote.
My understanding is that it's more to do with any future claim.. Imagine you have a rear shunt and have not declared a towbar, the insurers will sort the repair but as the towbar was not included they wont be under obligation to replace it like for like.

Ref Insurance I have just gone with Stavely head.. Policy suits me, you can get a quote online and there is a link to their policy booklet.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With proper Moyorhome policies you don't normally need to declare solar panels but mechanical additions to the chassis and engine do need declaring.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I agree with @tonka on this one - the standard MH modifications have rarely if ever affected our premium. I've had air assist suspension added and the insurers (Safeguard) just said 'thanks for letting us know' and that was it. If you mention any modifications to them they have no get out clause if the modified thing gets damaged.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
@Janine We're insured with Saga and have 2 solar panels which were on when we bought the van. As far as we're aware, they were factory fitted when new, as could yours be, so I doubt it would be classed as a modification for insurance purposes.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It depends on the insurance company.

Most of them will be as @Robert Clark said and only be interested in things that affect the handling or performance of the vehicle.

Some of them don't even care about fairly major things. I asked Comfort a couple of years ago whether I had to inform them if I fitted a tow bar. They said, "no that's not a modification and we assume everyone will get one anyway so no need to do anything"

No harm in giving them a call to check though.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

Even though you have got the quote online, it is always worth ringing to get talk to someone and make sure everything covered.
If it is not a modification ask them to price match the online quote on the telephone then there is a record.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013

I used to be with Saga and they wanted to know everything that had been added but I don’t think it upped the premium.
Give them a ring Janine and speak to someone.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
You should always tell them. They may not cover you if it came off and hit someone if they didnt know it was there. Doesn't alter the premium on a decent policy

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I’m insured with comfort and I told them about solar panels and the air conditioning.....not interested (but I did declare them) but they were interested in the satellite dish of course.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Anything added to a vehicle that was not standard from the factory should be declared, even paint jobs or graphics.
....yep, even if they aren’t interested. Calls are recorded so come claim time they can’t deny you’ve told them

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back