Is a small lockable trailer a good idea, reversing it ? (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
As I continue to plan for full time, I reckon we'll need a little more storage. The tow bar is already on there and the towing weight on the van is more than adequate. We spend a lot of time on smaller aires and wilding, I can't decide if a small trailer is more hassle or not, people say that the smaller the trailer the more difficult manoeuvring becomes. Any experiences and opinions gratefully received.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Lots of full timers use a small trailer. Its a good idea and can be a handy "Shed" when on site. manouvereing is easy and gets easier with practice, and if you ever get stuck it's simple to take a small trailer off, while you get positioned. If you are unlucky you might have to unhook it to turn around only once or twice a year, so hardly worth worrying about. You'll need to think about security and a decent wheel clamp will be required.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Yes the smaller the trailer the more difficult it is to reverse but not immpossible with practise, hey but easier to un- hitch and push into place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We tow a car trailer and find it fairly easy but find having a twin reversing camera helps a lot

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Depends on what you call small.. A trick I use when building a small trailer for someone is to build it off balance.. i.e. I move the axle well towards the back of the trailer.
On a small trailer the weight on the nose is never gonna be that much any way and it makes for a nice easy reversing unit
If you are talking about a box trailer of say, 10ft+ then as already said.. reversing gets easier all the time :)

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
You will find that a four wheel small trailer is by far the best way to go. Not only will it be a doddle to reverse(try one if you can and see the difference) it can better take the weight without undue strain some people put on small 2 wheel tyres. It won't stop you in your tracks if you have a puncture-you can limp to a safer better spot to repair. It doesn't rock like a noddy dog because it has two axles. They are much easier to manoeuvre when uncoupled as they don't require a jockey wheel(which is usually a hindrance in one way or another.) There is of course some extra weight in it but well worth it.
$_86.jpg

This one, brand new is £900 on gumtree! 8' x 4' .

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Twin axle trailers are a LOT easier to move around unhitched whith a jockey wheel to raise the front axle up and avoid drag caused by the tyres. Just try a loaded one without

OP
OP
adonisito
Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Blimey, that was quick ! Thanks for that, looks like a twin axle is the way to go for the fishing gear, etc.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You can fit some led marker lights on rubber stalks as used on hgv trailers. They help keep the rear of trailer in sight if it's narrower than your van.

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Twin axle trailers are a LOT easier to move around unhitched whith a jockey wheel to raise the front axle up and avoid drag caused by the tyres. Just try a loaded one without
I have a four wheeler and took the jockey wheel off it the day I got it and have never used it. I fully load the trailer regularly but I find that as long as the load is spread correctly(in my case 50kg nose weightish) it makes no difference in manoeuvring it other than its total weight. Badly loaded it may tip, but if it does you've got the weight spread wrong and it will tow badly, sometimes very badly. Google on how to check your noseweight which will vary on vehicle towing, trailer make and configuration.

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
And without a doubt, a 4 wheel trailer tows beautifully compared to a 2 wheel. Far safer and steadier. a Good tip for reversing any trailer which is lower than what you can see looking back, have some sort of a stick which will protrude upwards(a couple of foot should do it) from either rear corner of the trailer, so you can see it in your mirror or whatever. Top it with a small rubber ball or similar and you can see instantly which way the trailer is starting to turn so you can adjust accordingly. It'll save you much steering/re-aligning.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I have towed a small trailer for 3 years now and I wouldn't be without it, I have one of these which I bought private on eBay for £500.
John.

Lider Seville Camping/Camper Trailer with ABS plastic Lid saver package £979

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back