Is a Return Trip booking necessary to maintain Insurance? (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Sat in the 'van before we go home on Monday we were discussing "The Next Trip"

We were discussing the merits, or otherwise of booking a.) a Return Ferry, or b.) A Single out and then booking the return as, and when.

Other than the cost implications should the price rise in the meantime, and our ferry on Monday, St Malo-Plymouth, is the same price now as when we booked it, there is something else ringing an alarm bell, (either that or I've developed tinnitus) (with sincere apologies to those suffering that infliction)

Did 'Someone' on here post something to the effect that some form of Insurance was invalid if a single journey was booked as opposed to a return? I'm sure I've read it on here quite recently but I'll be damned if I can find it.
I could have dreamt it of course. It might have squeezed in between me winning the Euromillions and other niceties which I will draw a veil over.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Some travel insurance companies require a return date but I can't think what else.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have posted a note about it before..
Had travel insurance with Staysure for our first trip down to Morocco, for years always booked a single out and a single back a few days before we came home. Someone at a rally in Spain mentioned the "return trip" clause.. I checked and there it was.
A return trip must be booked or something along those lines...

I switched to LV for the next years trip.

Deleted User
When we first bought our 5'er in 2008 one of the few places that I could get insurance was through the C&CC and this had, I think, a 6 month trip limit, I queried how they would know and the response was that they would check tickets. I mentioned only booking one way or being covered only for the 6 months and they said if no return booking then no cover on full trip, third party European cover is of course is included in all policies.......at the moment, be interesting to see what happens when we leave the EU.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Just checked our policy with Staysure and, yes, return booking is required. We had no idea so thanks @emmitdb

As we use eurotunnel, for our next trip we'll book a random return journey and amend it when we decide it's time to come home. It's great to have that flexibility.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
That's a bit of a worry as we never book the return journey in advance. I've just fired off an email to Comfort. I will report back when they respond.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
When we first bought our 5'er in 2008 one of the few places that I could get insurance was through the C&CC and this had, I think, a 6 month trip limit, I queried how they would know and the response was that they would check tickets. I mentioned only booking one way or being covered only for the 6 months and they said if no return booking then no cover on full trip, third party European cover is of course is included in all policies.......at the moment, be interesting to see what happens when we leave the EU.

If you are talking about the third party then it will stay the same. Or road traffic acts only whatever is the minimum. It was always UK law long before the EU . You always have cover for third parties.You can never be "uninsured" unless you don't actually buy any.

Deleted User
If you are talking about the third party then it will stay the same. Or road traffic acts only whatever is the minimum. It was always UK law long before the EU . You always have cover for third parties.You can never be "uninsured" unless you don't actually buy any.

I remember having to get 'green cards' for foreign travel!

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Just had this reply from Comfort - which is comforting ::bigsmile:

Good morning Mrs Holdsworth

Thank you for your email.

Booking a return trip is not a condition of our policy. We only ask that you do not travel for more than 9 months in a policy year or spend more than 6 months in any one country.

Best regards

Laura Mulholland

download

T:

020 8984 0777

E:

info@comfort-insurance.co.uk

W:

www.comfort-insurance.co.uk

Comfort House,
8 Goresbrook Road,
Dagenham,
Essex, RM9 6UR

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not normally a problem with the vehicle insurance but can be with health insurance, most of the independent policies require a return date but looking through some of the ones included with a bank account they don't require it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@The Dude ... what about your travel insurance though?

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
@The Dude also check out breakdown cover. I had reason to call RAC in France last year and was asked the date I'd arrived and also the date of my return passage.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Booking a return trip is not a condition of our policy. We only ask that you do not travel for more than 9 months in a policy year or spend more than 6 months in any one country.

Perhaps someone should redraft the T&C

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Do what I did, book the return date on a flexi ticket, this satisfies your insurance and gives you the option of changing your return date.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Oh, did I misread it? The OP didn't mention travel insurance so I thought they meant motorhome insurance.
I think the previous thread was about travel insurance and others seem to think this too from their responses above ... but it could apply to either! :)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We used the eurotunnel insurance once and that needed a return booking. We now use the free one with the bank which doesn't.

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Just renewed our multi trip (45 days) travel insurance with Holiday Safe and the do not require a booked return date

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back