Free Member
Aug 4, 2016
Reading, UK
Funster No
MH
Just curious
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all - I've been a longtime lurker, but first time poster, it's time for me to say hello!

I have recently taken a job working just outside of Reading in Berkshire, and whilst the job is enjoyable, the office base is rather far away from my (mortgaged) home in Cardiff. I am currently lodging near the office Monday-Thursday, however the prospect of living in a motorhome seems a tempting idea, as well as serving as an interim office when I fancy working from the beach!

I'm currently 25 and stand at around 6ft 3 - I will be driving the motorhome around 260 miles per week (round trip to the office). I will most likely be using the MH as a Daily Driver in the week (so sub 6m would be nice), however all amenities including shops would be in walking distance of the office.

The two questions I pose to you lovely guys and gals:
1) Is this a sensible idea?
2) Can you recommend any motorhomes that would fit my need? I like the Hymer Van 314, but it's rather pricey - PVCs seem a better option, however my height doesn't appear to fit most specifications.

I realise I am asking for the moon on a stick, however this forum always appears receptive and welcoming to newcomers wishing to join the fold!

Thank you for your help :)

OP
OP
P

Papa_J

Free Member
Aug 4, 2016
Reading, UK
Funster No
MH
Just curious
Exp
I'm a newbie
This thread reminds me of why I want to become a Motorhomer - all very helpful and willing to share experience :) Thank you all!

@JJ It's nice to hear directly from someone who has done this before, stealth PVC does seem to be the best option, and I've been actively paying attention to how long I spent stood up (a lot less than I initially expected...)

Now just to find something cheap, reliable and comfortable. A MWB Transit with a sofa bed and ikea wardrobe is looking tempting - I am a low earning youngster after all.....

Upvote 0
May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
lived in a caravan (ex-tugger!) for several months at a time and for several periods in London, Peterborough, Ipswich and Swansea whilst working away from home. Worked very well but (now I have some experience with a motorhome) I would say it is so much easier to do with a motor home.

You will need to think how you might dispose of grey water and toilet but these should be manageable particularly if you have use of office showers.

Upvote 0

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
At the risk of being 'hung, drawn and quartered' by some members, I'll ask the question ... does it have to be a motorhome? Perhaps considering a caravan and your car would be a more cost effective option (putting the caravan on a site, at least initially) to see if you are happy living in a 'box' - if not then you can sell a caravan much easier than a MH/PVC, if you do like it then you can change to a MH/PVC.
My thoughts too. I have a friend who lives in Ayr, self employed IT industry and has a major customer in Aberdeen. He's used a caravan as his base for about 15 years, works for him.

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome:WelcomeFlag:It all sounds very do -able so go for it if you can afford the insurance and the vanEtc . You will find you will love using the van for weekend trips to lovely venues !
Will your office let you use electric as winter nights may get cold and boring without a little heater and telly if the panels and battery don't give enough charge.
Keep in touch and let us know how you get on!
A few months ago a young man converted his own van ( it was on the news but looked very basic)

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Here's another way of looking at it. Since you are an honorary funster already, you could think in terms of buying yourself a motorhome for your holidays/weekends, and use it during the week to justify the cost to yourself.

You'll soon get a different perspective. Why always go home at weekends? Why not find a nice comfortable site with showers/washing machine/interesting things to do/places to go? With a bit of planning, your other half can catch a train and meet at a convenient station en route. Pack the barbeque, walking boots, fishing rod, whatever. A couple of bikes or even a small scooter and you're set up.

Also you'll find that if you're working all day, going home at weekends, and maybe doing a couple of evening sessions at the gym, you'll be spending a lot less time in the motorhome than you might expect.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi Robin and a big :welcome3:.
Have read your posts and all the replies and agree with most of the info given,particularly with regard to PVC's,keep searching and sure you will find a hi top self conversion that will be cheapish and suit your purpose and see how it goes.
Just double check their are no height barriers to the office car park!:giggler:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back