Is a generator a good idea? Plse help... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I suspect many replies saying you don't need a generator come from folk who don't really fulltime or, if they do, spend the vast majority of their "parked up time" on campsites with hook up available.

Of course you don't NEED a genny, even if, like me, you full time off site. I didn't have one for ages.

But now... I have solar AND a genny. I live full time off grid in an oven-less Classic Hymer. My genny works a little electric oven which I need for pie cooking.

Even in Portugal I occasionally need the genny after a few dull days in winter.

However... if I am on the road, moving from place to place often, then I rarely fire it up. I go without pies and opt for burgers instead!

Edit. And another thing... if you don't have a noisy, fume producing genny, how do you stop the French from parking too close to you?

JJ :cool:

Last edited:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Unless you really need mains power, then for recharging batteries in winter in the UK, if solar won't do then this is a better option.

Broken Link Removed

Running a "mains"generator to charge batteries is very inefficient.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It must be the hair dryer that causes the problem. 4 of us cope for 4 days without moving on a 90 Amp hr battery and no solar.

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
I've asked this before, but didn't get a response, but I'd seriously like to know, in case I'm missing something. How do people, who like us, ski for six weeks or more, mostly away from mains get on? We experience low light levels, low angle of sun, short days, and our panels frequently covered in snow (and yes, I do clear them every day). So, what's the answer? Every off-grid skiing aire we've used has people running generators, normally very responsibly, and for maybe a couple of hours. So, what is a practical alternative?

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
It all depends on your own personal requirements, what you use your MH for etc, We have an on board which we could not manage with out.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I would want it as a backup

My thinking. And one day, it was at my daughter's, I thought "time to try the genny instead of hooking up".

Would it start ?

NO.

Problem is, if you don't use them the petrol dries out, blocks the hair-like jets. After a carb strip it was fine.

I sold it ( at a decent loss ) to a FUNster who I think never used it.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I've asked this before, but didn't get a response, but I'd seriously like to know, in case I'm missing something. How do people, who like us, ski for six weeks or more, mostly away from mains get on? We experience low light levels, low angle of sun, short days, and our panels frequently covered in snow (and yes, I do clear them every day). So, what's the answer? Every off-grid skiing aire we've used has people running generators, normally very responsibly, and for maybe a couple of hours. So, what is a practical alternative?

For six weeks or more, yes, without gas refills you will have a problem.
Presumably they are running heating/cooking with a generator.
We are very energy efficient but even with our led lights, 160w solar & 330 amp of batteries plus 2 refillable gas bottles, we could not last six weeks without additional gas or electric in sub zero temperatures.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
. So, what is a practical alternative?

Our FUN ski guru swears by the B2B unit. This tricks the engine alternator to output masses more amps than normal so can charge the batteries quickly.

Now the question is, "is it better to run a genny or a great big diesel ?"

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We full timed for over seven and half years. Had a 2Kva genni plus 2 x 110ah batteries 1000watt inverter and 120 watt solar panel. Used genni to run microwave and anns hairdryer. If you fulltime have one with you.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

I've got to say that I am envious - I wish that I could do spend 6 weeks a year skiing.

And in response to your question, I would suggest that you are in a situation of needing a genny; batteries won't last that long and solar would give little power. We would get one in your situation.

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
Great piece of kit.
Never have to worry if your batteries wil die.
The technology is there to use, ignor those that say there are better alternatives, every method of maintaining power is valid, there is nowt wrong in using them all.
Spud

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
And in response to your question, I would suggest that you are in a situation of needing a genny; batteries won't last that long and solar would give little power. We would get one in your situation.
Exactly. We do indeed use a generator - responsibly, I hope, and only in the circumstances I describe, but I'm interested what alternatives the naysayers might propose. I suspect there are in fact no practical alternatives. Each to their own I suppose.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Exactly. We do indeed use a generator - responsibly, I hope, and only in the circumstances I describe, but I'm interested what alternatives the naysayers might propose. I suspect there are in fact no practical alternatives. Each to their own I suppose.
The practical alternative is a B2B charger.

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Couldn't you start the van engine?

Not if the cranking battery was also cream-crackered (c:

The point with the gen-set is that you can start it anywhere, any time with the pull of a cord which, personally, makes me feel secure, but I confess that I have never NEEDED it in the van (I have on a boat as mentioned previously) and anyway, each to their own!

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

My issue with generators is that I've seen, smelt and heard them being used unnecessarily and have suffered from the noise and fumes from inconsiderate users. When peeps arrive on site, start up the genny next to our MH while they sit on the other side of their van watching TV that could be run on LBs, I'm not impressed. If you are static in cold conditions for days at a time, I wouldn't be a naysayer - as long as the smell and sound was directed away from me and it didn't go on for hours at a time (and stopped before bedtime). I don't know of any practical alternative.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Mmmm, have a feeling of deja vu here!

No a genny is NOT needed skiing. We recharge at 90 amps using a Sterling Alternator to Battery Charger.
A 1 hour run a day is sufficient to keep going indefinitely.
However, if you have regular leisure batteries and no Sterling charger, you will need that genny to run for 6 to 8 hours a day.
I know that I would rather be skiing and partying rather than attending a gennie in case it is nicked or run over by a snowplough!

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Wonder how many need the genny for running the sacred hair dryer ? Just for the record I am not anti hair dryer. Haha

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

No a genny is NOT needed skiing. We recharge at 90 amps using a Sterling Alternator to Battery Charger.
However, if you have regular leisure batteries and no Sterling charger, you will need that genny to run for 6 to 8 hours a day.
I know that I would rather be skiing and partying rather than attending a gennie in case it is nicked or run over by a snowplough!

Will your Sterling Alternator charge at tick over?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Will your Sterling Alternator charge at tick over?

Yes 90 amps at tick over, rising to 120 amps above 1200 rpm. The Transit is specced with a 150 amp alternator with a small pulley for high alternator output at low rpm.
The engine management draws approx 30 amps. Obviously if vehicle lights etc are in use, the charger output is reduced.
It is essential a large open lead acid battery bank is used to absorb these high charging currents safely.
Hair drying is catered for by a 2100w inverter.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
120 amps at 14.4 volts is 1800w or 2.4 hp.

It is doing something more than just idling.

Bore glazing isn't the issue it once was. Better engine design sees to that. 5 one hour runs over a week in a ski resort isn't going to do any harm to a modern engine.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If you're full timing then you are going to be using more electricity than someone who uses their van purely for summer use. Having your heating and hot water running will use electricity (for the fan or pump), as will lighting.
I'd therefore suggest having a minimum of 2 (ideally more) leisure batteries.
These can be charged by either Solar Panels when you are stationary, and/or a battery to battery to battery charger when you are moving. Another option to consider is ocassionally charging your batteries when possible if the sites/aires you are staying on have EHU (a fixed power supply)
You could then consider a generator as a last resort, though having sufficient batteries and charging options should mean that you may not need a generator at all

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004

so you use a generator? all be it a big generator=your van engine:whistle:

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
120 amps at 14.4 volts is 1800w or 2.4 hp.

It is doing something more than just idling.

Bore glazing isn't the issue it once was. Better engine design sees to that. 5 one hour runs over a week in a ski resort isn't going to do any harm to a modern engine.

It is doing something as you say, not a lot, but something and I most certainly agree that five one hour runs over a week will make absolutely no difference whatsoever. Over a year or two it might, but short term not at all.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Not if the cranking battery was also cream-crackered

What are you doing running a van with a knacked starter battery?
Are using that battery as a domestic supply battery?

The worst thing you can do to a diesel is leave it ticking over for an hour with a very low load IMHO

It's not had any adverse effects in over 4 years and I don't expect to have the van any more after this next year.

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
While sitting down when you see the price! But they are good bits of kit - and silent.
Future tech available now

around £15 per kw/h once you've paid the three or four grand to install it... not for me I'm afraid however good

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back