Is a Folding E-Bike suitable to use on Bridlepaths (1 Viewer)

Giddy Lynn

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Wakefield, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
T-620 Ford Tribute
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi

I am looking to purchase a folding electric bike but having read up on various makes they seem to only mention they are great for Urban/City riding. I have spoke to a Bike Shop and asked his opinion about riding on Bridlepaths/Country tracks and he said not really recommended due to size of wheels (20"). He said obviously a larger wheel would be far better but I need a fold up so a bit restricted.

I am hoping to try a Raleigh Stow E Way tomorrow so will give it a go (this does not have suspension ouch), but wondered about the long term use, so my question is what ever make you have do you ride it on country tracks and is it stable, comfortable etc.,?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
some thing along this line might be a better choice @Giddy Lynn

or
Cyrusher® XF700 Mans Folding Electric Bike 17 X 26 Inch Mountain Bike Full Suspension 250 W 36V 21 Speeds with Power Off Anti-Slip Mechanical Disc Brake and Smart Bike Compute

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2016
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 408
Exp
Since 2016
I have a whisper bike it’s wheels are wider, well I think they are today we did the track from loch trool to loch day in the Galloway forest it was rough in most places and I managed. Mine is the one on the rhs my husbands with bigger wheels is not electric. I brought it locally with the larger battery but here it is 631D271C-E6FB-4016-B938-A6134253796B.jpeg 0270D7EB-4CE4-48B3-89B1-D9F2FC0179BF.jpeg CD2531E1-F3FD-4F40-B017-F406CE8A26B8.jpeg https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/bra...MI3fz0ssKI2wIVi7obCh2hXg3vEAQYAiABEgIIKfD_BwE

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
AS Bikes do a 26 inch wheel folder both a step through and a MTB. We looked for the similar folding bikes but not alot of choice, there is also Dillenger and Woosh, all the MTB are a similar design. The MTB seems to have a small battery size.

We've also had a 20inch folder from eranger, never felt exactly solid going downhill off tarmac, managed it fine and was solid just did not feel it.

OP
OP
Giddy Lynn

Giddy Lynn

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Wakefield, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
T-620 Ford Tribute
Exp
I'm a newbie
some thing along this line might be a better choice @Giddy Lynn

or
Cyrusher® XF700 Mans Folding Electric Bike 17 X 26 Inch Mountain Bike Full Suspension 250 W 36V 21 Speeds with Power Off Anti-Slip Mechanical Disc Brake and Smart Bike Compute

Hi Tacr2man

That's a lovely bike but I should have said I really don't want to go over £1000. The Raleigh is £1100 so hoping its negotiable if I like it. Cheers Lynn

Sausage44

Free Member
May 10, 2016
Bicester
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
New at it!
We have a couple of electric folding bikes (A2B Kuo +). They are ok on grass etc. but not when it's muddy. Like most others things once you are used to them then they are fine for most activities.

OP
OP
Giddy Lynn

Giddy Lynn

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Wakefield, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
T-620 Ford Tribute
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just thought I would follow up with my trial on the Raleigh Stow E Way. I went up plenty of steep hills and the 4th speed is good to get you up but this depletes the battery. Its a comfortable bike and I managed to go down lots of bridlepaths/country tracks at a steady speed but if they were cobbled I got off as it was too uncomfortable. Going to try the Roodog Bliss this week.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
We have just purchased Roodog fold ups and are using them for the first time seriously in France at the moment. We are finding them great. We did a long cycle ride for us of 18 kilometres return trip and yesterday did a similar trip. These were on cycle paths which were sometime paved and others just ruts in grass paths. They do have front wheel suspension and are at a similar price to the Raleigh. The battery takes only a short time to top up. We were a little concerned re the size of the Raleigh battery as it appeared to be smaller but may, of course, be equal in power.

OP
OP
Giddy Lynn

Giddy Lynn

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Wakefield, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
T-620 Ford Tribute
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have just purchased Roodog fold ups and are using them for the first time seriously in France at the moment. We are finding them great. We did a long cycle ride for us of 18 kilometres return trip and yesterday did a similar trip. These were on cycle paths which were sometime paved and others just ruts in grass paths. They do have front wheel suspension and are at a similar price to the Raleigh. The battery takes only a short time to top up. We were a little concerned re the size of the Raleigh battery as it appeared to be smaller but may, of course, be equal in power.

Hi Pekepal
I tried the Roodog Bliss today and yes the battery is very powerful, in fact it felt like a mophead! I felt like I was sitting too far forward and prefer the position of the gears on the Raleigh. I did like the throttle that allows you to set of without struggling to pedal. Think I will go for the Raleigh as we have a shop near us that stocks them and its ideal if something should go wrong. Enjoy your bikes.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
If you belong to caravan club I believe Raleigh give you a discount.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
I have a pro-rider ebike and use it on all sorts of surfaces. It's a folder, 3 speed and I love it and recommend it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back