is a 100 to many or should it be limited to 60 (1 Viewer)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Normally we don't have a problem, but this time Peterborough was hell !!!
We had the firm ground ( well, better than the rest of the field ) at the bottom, and that's where we put the RVs including Bob, and at the end of it, :winky: his pitch was still the best pitch on the field,:Smile: but he had to go a long way to the show.

All the other vans had to come in the top of the field, and most made it to their pitches, but as time went on the mud got worse and they stopped short, but we carried on, and everyone was on the field.

We had other members that use mobility scooters, and they were put on the drier side but the furthest from the road, yes we did feel sorry for them, but when you have conditions like that there is very little you can do. That did seem to be understood :Smile:
Lets hope we don't have conditions like it again, and everyone will be happy.:thumb:

But even with the weather, we still put Jim's marquee and our 2 party tents up, people used them Friday and Saturday nights, OK the bacon was cancelled that was the right decision as it turned out, because it was worse still on Sunday. :cry:

And thanks again everyone that offered the cadacs and cooking if it had gone ahead, and those that came and helped put marquees up and down in the rain, one of our party tents was wrecked when it took off, but we found some more poles and went and collected them yesterday today I have cut them to size, Jane has repaired the fabric, and I loaded the trailer for our meet next weekend. So we are up and ready to go again. :thumb:

As for restricting numbers, it only matters when you can't get help, we had help this time, and if they have any sense they will never want to do it again. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The RVs are always parked together, for a couple of reasons.
The first being parking large vehicles together saves space, and that is something we never have much of, especially as the pitch size allocated to them is 8m x 8m :Doh:
And the second is they want to be together " its an Americian thing " :winky: ::bigsmile:
So although we are in the same field, it is sort of separate so if anyone wants to help marshal it does not matter if you have a European or a American there is something for everyone. :winky::roflmto:

We said to Sundowners after helping them last year, whenever we see a marshal we will make them a cup of tea / coffee .::bigsmile:
Us marshals made our own, but it would be great if a fellow Funster, all pitched up, were to supply us with a brew. I was offered a beer, but being on duty turned it down.:Smile:

And I wish people would stop knocking Warners Marshals, Hitler in their orange waist coats, we know a lot of those, they are normal people and drive motorhomes and belong to the MCC, and we are also members and rally with them.:Smile:

So why not make them a cup of tea, when they are stood in the rain all weekend doing the same job as us. :thumb: One of the ladies was telling me, that she stood beside someone's van, sheltering from the rain, only for the door to open and be told to move because she was blocking the satelitte signal, :Doh: how sad it that !!!

Still we are looking forward to future Meets and Rallies, and if we can park anyone near the roadway that are users of mobility scooters we will. :Smile: Bob and Jane :Smile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
, whenever we see a marshal we will make them a cup of tea / coffee .::bigsmile:
Us marshals made our own, but it would be great if a fellow Funster, all pitched up, were to supply us with a brew. I was offered a beer, but being on duty turned it down.:Smile:

I would have gladly made you all cuppa's however I travel light and only have one cup... I did bring you some apple tarts though which I bought specially for the marshalls. (I don't eat cakes or sweets) :winky:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Bob & Jane did a great job

Normally we don't have a problem, but this time Peterborough was hell !!!
We had the firm ground ( well, better than the rest of the field ) at the bottom, and that's where we put the RVs including Bob, and at the end of it, :winky: his pitch was still the best pitch on the field,:Smile: but he had to go a long way to the show.

All the other vans had to come in the top of the field, and most made it to their pitches, but as time went on the mud got worse and they stopped short, but we carried on, and everyone was on the field.

We had other members that use mobility scooters, and they were put on the drier side but the furthest from the road, yes we did feel sorry for them, but when you have conditions like that there is very little you can do. That did seem to be understood :Smile:
Lets hope we don't have conditions like it again, and everyone will be happy.:thumb:

But even with the weather, we still put Jim's marquee and our 2 party tents up, people used them Friday and Saturday nights, OK the bacon was cancelled that was the right decision as it turned out, because it was worse still on Sunday. :cry:

And thanks again everyone that offered the cadacs and cooking if it had gone ahead, and those that came and helped put marquees up and down in the rain, one of our party tents was wrecked when it took off, but we found some more poles and went and collected them yesterday today I have cut them to size, Jane has repaired the fabric, and I loaded the trailer for our meet next weekend. So we are up and ready to go again. :thumb:

As for restricting numbers, it only matters when you can't get help, we had help this time, and if they have any sense they will never want to do it again. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The RVs are always parked together, for a couple of reasons.
The first being parking large vehicles together saves space, and that is something we never have much of, especially as the pitch size allocated to them is 8m x 8m :Doh:
And the second is they want to be together " its an Americian thing " :winky: ::bigsmile:
So although we are in the same field, it is sort of separate so if anyone wants to help marshal it does not matter if you have a European or a American there is something for everyone. :winky::roflmto:

We said to Sundowners after helping them last year, whenever we see a marshal we will make them a cup of tea / coffee .::bigsmile:

And I wish people would stop knocking Warners Marshals, Hitler in their orange waist coats, we know a lot of those, they are normal people and drive motorhomes and belong to the MCC, and we are also members and rally with them.:Smile:

So why not make them a cup of tea, when they are stood in the rain all weekend doing the same job as us. :thumb: One of the ladies was telling me, that she stood beside someone's van, sheltering from the rain, only for the door to open and be told to move because she was blocking the satelitte signal, :Doh: how sad it that !!!

Still we are looking forward to future Meets and Rallies, and if we can park anyone near the roadway that are users of mobility scooters we will. :Smile: Bob and Jane :Smile:

Bob & Jane did a great job... Yes Bob found us as good a place as any at the end of the field. I managed to protect my run off by putting the car across the front and slightly to the side, this forced the tractors to go wide and left me a bit of decent ground to drive off on. But in the area I was were Bill (Landy Lover) who also managed to drive off with no issues. But two other RV's managed to get themselves bogged down. As can be seen in the photos Gromet published. I had one each side of me that were just to heavy fro the ground conditions. They in fact moved away in the end to join another group that had firmer ground. But the rest of us battled it out.. most needing a tug from the tractor and a few did not.

But Bob and Jane did do there best for us and I would be the first to say so. I take of my hat to them standing g out in all sorts of weather. A thankless task.. I for one appreciated what they did and tried to do. I am more than happy to have them as a marshall any day and we see them in a couple of weeks at Newbury where i know they will again do a great job.

Bob:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Yes we broke open the Lemon Drizzle cake

I would have gladly made you all cuppa's however I travel light and only have one cup... I did bring you some apple tarts though which I bought specially for the marshalls. (I don't eat cakes or sweets) :winky:

We broke open the Lemon Drizzel cake and made coffee on Monday in the short time of sun we had before we pulled off the mud bath. Almost seemed normal for a short while.

I am hoping that Newbury will see a little bit more normality weather wise. But I bet the ground is still very very wet under the top soil.. but if we can survive Peterborough we can survive anything. .. plus we are at the top of the slope with a proper road across the front.

Bob

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
whilst i agree to the location of permanent buildings being a bit of a problem they have used and still use portable toilet / shower blocks which can be placed anywhere around the site and more often than not there are not enough of these anyway.
You missed my point. The toilet/shower blocks may be movable but the water and sewage networks they rely on are not. That governs both locations and numbers of blocks.

they also hire in quantities of temporary road ways for use around the exhibition areas so if needed they could get more of this and put it where needed.
a rectangular site can be set out just the same as a circular one and with enough thought on positioning access points to the show area all can be arranged to suit.
If I recall correctly there was only one temporary (metal) walkway at Peterborough in the exhibition area. All the other roads, apart from grass ones left between rows of pitches by marshals when marking out, are permanent. So, where would extra temporary roads be needed and what criteria would decide the quantities and locations? Who would bear the extra costs, increased ticket price for everyone?

and as a general comment on your 5th point i agree that warners have no clue as to how many of each club are disabled but that would then fall on to the clubs marshals to allocate the spaces based on their members needs
As Bob has pointed out, efforts were made to put people with mobility scooters in the more accessible (or less inaccessible) places but that had to be done after marking out the whole area because, just like Warners, club marshals don't have the information in advance either.

Having pushed a wheelchair round the last Warners show at York in 2007 I appreciate the difficulties. However, as with any other circumstances of dealing with existing (and largely unchangeable) physical landscape it is always going to be a matter of compromise and making the best of the job.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back