Is 5 weeks long enough (1 Viewer)

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
to make a trip through Denmark and Norway - maybe as far as Bergen? We decided against and thought we would leave it till I retire and can spend longer but can't leave everything till then! We can't decide so would welcome advice from anyone who has been.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
We are planning a visit this year for roughly 5 to 6 weeks, door to door from central France...Plan is to reach the Lofoten islands well to the north of Bergen and Trondheim..

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
to make a trip through Denmark and Norway - maybe as far as Bergen? We decided against and thought we would leave it till I retire and can spend longer but can't leave everything till then! We can't decide so would welcome advice from anyone who has been.
Have you looked at our bumbles blog, they've covered all that area and their blogs might help

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We went to Norway and back in 3 weeks.
It's a long drive, but it's doable
We caught the ferry from Hirtshslls to Bergen then headed north from there.

5 weeks should be fine if you plan accordingly

Full details of our trip here
Broken Link Removed

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Our rough plan, starting from Kristiansand in southern Norway to the furthest point north presently planned to travel to, Andenes returning through Sweden to Varberg will be between 5000 and 5500 kms..say 3100 to 3500 miles...

Travelling no further north than Bergen could reduce that by 60%+ but there seems to be so much to see between between Bergen and Krisiansund...This could reduce it to between 3250--3500 kms..

OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
We would love to see all of Norway but with the lack of time and not wanting to spend the whole time driving, I picked Bergen as a reasonable way to go. I suppose we could head straight through Denmark without spending much time and then have more time for Norway?? Or decide to leave it until that elusive retirement and then spend as long as want ...

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
We would love to see all of Norway but with the lack of time and not wanting to spend the whole time driving, I picked Bergen as a reasonable way to go. I suppose we could head straight through Denmark without spending much time and then have more time for Norway?? Or decide to leave it until that elusive retirement and then spend as long as want ...

We'll be using Denmark solely as a route to get to Norway, if it looks interesting we'll return at a later date...

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We spent 5 weeks in Norway with a trailer tent in the mid 70's via Gothenburg with DFDS when we had a Scandinavia link. Up the west coast of Sweden through Oslo, Lillehammar, Dombas and Andalsnes before dropping south to Eisdal, Geiranger, Loen, Balestrand, Flam, Ulvik and Odda before heading east for Oslo and home. We had a 5 and a 2 year old at the time and I seem to remember we covered around 2500 miles. We camped probably ¾ of the time and wild camped the rest. Amongst all that magnificent scenery the best bit of the holiday according to the boys was "that campsite with the playground" :rolleyes: We did a similar trip 20 years later in 96 with a caravan and included Bergen in that trip. We were due back last year, 20 years on but it is still on the agenda with the motorhome.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
We've been the past 2 yrs for abou 5-6 weeks taking 3 days to Hirtsals. Had a great time despite variable weather. Getting to Bergen and back will be no problem. The speed limit is 50mph through much of Norway as most roads arent dual but you trundle along with great views all the time. South of Bergen is still great. Do book the ferry from Hirsals if in peak season -well in advance for cheaper fares. The Rough Guide is good. We particularly liked Hardanger (Utne camping) and Loen but everywhere just fab.

AndyB57

Free Member
Dec 11, 2016
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Kite PVC
Exp
Since 2016
However long it will never be enough. Going home day is always the pits. :notworthy:
Truer words have never been spoken! I HATE going home after a holiday!!
My dear old mum (bless her) used to say "the best thing about going away, is coming home" and I used to think - even as a 6 year old - no it isn't! The best thing about going away, is going away!! I guess that's why we're all here in the first place - we ALL love going away!

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Truer words have never been spoken! I HATE going home after a holiday!!
My dear old mum (bless her) used to say "the best thing about going away, is coming home" and I used to think - even as a 6 year old - no it isn't! The best thing about going away, is going away!! I guess that's why we're all here in the first place - we ALL love going away!
ive always been the same too as long as i remember ,even as a toddler i did not like the return journey home

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
However long it will never be enough. Going home day is always the pits. :notworthy:
That's why I very rarely went on holiday when I was working as you had to come back & as the first week was lost still thinking of work & by then it was nearly time to return ,so it wasn't worth going.:D

AndyB57

Free Member
Dec 11, 2016
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Kite PVC
Exp
Since 2016
Yep it takes a week to get "work" out of your system when you go away and then about 10 minutes to get going away out of your system when you return. Simple answer: give up work!

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Yep it takes a week to get "work" out of your system when you go away and then about 10 minutes to get going away out of your system when you return. Simple answer: give up work!
I just have but the boss made the decision , so 63 am I finished with work LOL

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back