Is 4g safer for online banking than wifi (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I was told this week that using your phone 4g for internet banking is safer than using wifi for same. Can anyone confirm this....(y)

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Do you mean connecting to you phone as a hotspot and using it as a WiFi router or using a phone app rather than a laptop / desktop program?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
4g is safer all round.

I am not allowed to do any client work on wifi - it all has to be on 4g when I am out of the office.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Do you mean connecting to you phone as a hotspot and using it as a WiFi router or using a phone app rather than a laptop / desktop program?
I meant using my phone app with wifi turned off on my phone and connected through my 4g network(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
4g is safer all round.

I am not allowed to do any client work on wifi - it all has to be on 4g when I am out of the office.
Thanks Chris, that is interesting, I must start relying less on wifi hot spots...

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
I'd have thought that with a secured home WiFi, then both will be safe. However who knows what back doors, data grabing, eavesdropping technology is built into the drevices we use, particularlythe prolification of Chinese manufacturered devices, let alone the data etc they we freely share with the world!

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'd have thought that with a secured home WiFi, then both will be safe. However who knows what back doors, data grabing, eavesdropping technology is built into the drevices we use, particularlythe prolification of Chinese manufacturered devices, let alone the data etc they we freely share with the world!
One of the reasons that I'm not registered with facebook..

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I'd have thought that with a secured home WiFi, then both will be safe
I was having a chat with someone yesterday who told me there is software you can run on a laptop that can give you any WiFi security code of a network it can detect... I asked whether that included the wpa2 codes (or whatever its called )rather than the supposed less secure wep. . He said yes...
So it appears if you know what you are doing there isn't any secure WiFi. ...
Does anyone know if there is any truth to this..
Andy.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
What is 4g please?
I live in Suffolk and it's never been heard of here. :(:(

Richard.
Very true & other places.
I visit Suffolk often and I must admit the phone signal is crap...:)
As is Norfolk. might as well throw the phone in the dustbin.
Even worse than here & that's saying something. & most class stuff here as third world.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
I was having a chat with someone yesterday who told me there is software you can run on a laptop that can give you any WiFi security code of a network it can detect... I asked whether that included the wpa2 codes (or whatever its called )rather than the supposed less secure wep. . He said yes...
Andy.
That could make an iboost a better investment!

Reactions: SMB
OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Very true & other places.
As is Norfolk. might as well throw the phone in the dustbin.
Even worse than here & that's saying something. & most class stuff here as third world.
I don't think the internet is much faster either, it gets a tad frustrating when you are used to having full speed on tap...o_O

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
That could make an iboost a better investment!
Not a clue.. the router I use with my I boost has a password that you enter so I assume if that network was detected by someone with the equipment then they would be able to access it...
I'm a numpty with stuff like this so I don't really know ...
But I was shocked when told it was that easy...
And yes if you were travelling with an I boost and could tap into any WiFi network you could pick up because you could crack the security... that would be good :)... a case of who needs fon :LOL:

Reactions: SMB

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Andy.

Only IF you have previously logged into that network... Else no... (y)
except for maybe CIA/FBI/MI5..6 ;)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Haha.. lost me...o_O

Basically.... if you'd previously logged onto a Wifi network.... then lost or forgot the wifi password.... there is a couple of dos based commands that can be run to retrieve said password/s from your device....
But ....
If you have never previously logged into a secure network... then generally no...
Or if the password of a prevoius known network has been changed... then no..

Unless you are Gov't.. :whistle:

There are lots of "click bait" videos out there making claims.... until you read the small print (y)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
If you have never previously logged into a secure network... then generally no...
OK thanks...understand that...
And just checked what I'd been told...
It does sound like it's what you say...
I mentioned software. .. it's not ... it's the command prompt facility in windows he was talking about ,but he did say it was possible to retrieve a password from a network even if you hadn't been on it... and said he had done it....
Andy..

BurningRanger

Free Member
Jul 12, 2017
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Technically if you use public WiFi someone could eavesdrop on the traffic. However, all banking websites use end to end encryption (ssl or tls) so the traffic is secured between your device and their systems, so it's fine.

Reactions: DBK

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
My understanding and expection would be the same, banking apps and websites should be using encryption, the type which certain governments are concerned about because it is far from easy to crack the key required to decrypt the data being exchanged. Regarding 4G, were there not articles fairly recently confirming that 4G communications were not as secure as expected?

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I alway use a vpn even when using my phone as a hotpot on my tablet to access banking details as even from phone to tablet they could get interfered with, my opinion only.
I mostly use my phone though to access my banks app on my sim card data allowance, usually 3 g but sometimes 4g.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Slightly off topic but on watchdog last night it was on about secure sites and to look for shttp sites as they are more secure, but presumably someone has set these sites up , so what is there to stop a scam site writer useing shttp?

Edit sorry got it the wrong way , should have been https

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Slightly off topic but on watchdog last night it was on about secure sites and to look for shttp sites as they are more secure, but presumably someone has set these sites up , so what is there to stop a scam site writer useing shttp?

Edit sorry got it the wrong way , should have been https
I think there was a thread on here a while ago didn't he make an update to the forum. I think....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back