Irresponsible Dog Owners (1 Viewer)

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
As the owners of two dogs ourselves my wife and I are very aware that travelling with them and F Ting carries responsibilities beyond looking after ourselves. We take great care ensuring that our beasts, Alfie and Louie are ALWAYS tethered either to the van, ourselves or a ground anchor, we carry poop bags in seemingly every pocket to clear up accidents on a campsite and exercise them off the sites/ keep them off beaches etc and yet we are finding that in France the rule of tethering dogs/ not going on beaches at this time of year where the signs are very clear is simply ignored by French dog owners. Twice in the last week I have had to stand between a maurauding dog and our own whilst the owner of the untethered dog seems oblivious to the situation and infact when I point out in my limited French " Keep your dog on a lead please" its almost as though I am in the wrong! God forbid that one of these such dogs should attack either me the wife or my dogs but of course I am sure it will be easier for the Frenchman to explain to the Gendarmerie how it wasn't his fault etc etc etc. In Brittany we watched as dozens of locals take dogs on a clearly marked NO DOGS beach but we chose not to again for the same reason as above. The biggest shame here is when walking through Towns, villages or the countryside the amount of dog waste which it seems the French are happy to just leave with no thought of the impression it leaves ( no pun intended). Have dog = pick up warm poo! No ifs or buts!

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Totally agree with everything you have said, we have recently been to the moselle, every street corner and campsite has poo bins and free of charge bags, spotlessly clean, cross over into France and you are playing hop scotch so you dont tread in it..
The French, but dont you just love em....

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
Not Just the French. In UK a lot of beaches do not allow dog between March and October but at our local beach in Kent the other evening dogs were having a lovely time frolicking on the beach and in the sea. I can see nothing wrong with this as long as the owners clear up after them. I love dogs and it is not their fault that these rules have been put into place, it is the owners who turn a blind eye, and the authorities who make the law not enforcing it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Not Just the French. In UK a lot of beaches do not allow dog between March and October but at our local beach in Kent............

They were probably French dogs that had nipped across the channel:)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If I have ours tethered or on the lead and a loose dog comes our way, mines let loose as well.
I let her decide wether she wants to stand her ground or run.

I had a quandary at Weston beach last year.
We parked on the beach in the no dog area, no other choice.
To get to the dog part of the beach I had to walk on the excluded part well away from anyone.
As it happened the beach warden drove up to me and informed me of my misdoing.
I asked him how I’m supposed to get from the parking area to the dog area, this was met with a blank expression :rolleyes:
What’s a bloke supposed to do ehh :)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Last week I got quite upset seeing people taking their dogs onto the hot pebble beach at Cherbourg. No shade when they sat down and no water available. With short legs some dogs are very close to the blistering hot pebbles too hot for me to walk on in bare feet.

Deleted User
The French attitude seems to be that laws only apply to others and simply ignored by most!

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
That was our problem within the EU.
Other nations decided whether to apply and obey the laws.
The UK jumped on the laws and imposed them immediately, punishing transgressors however small or stupid the ruling.
If we had taken the attitude of most of Europe then possibly the EU would of been better thought of and we wouldn't be in the mess we now are.

French dog owners have never cleared up dog mess, I expect it's there attitude to life. If they are not happy with things they will be out on the street, we just moan.
Be interesting when we leave the number of blockades at the channel ports as we try to export our goods. They are very nationalistic and will protect their business, regardless of laws stopping it, not much help if the law protectors also agree with France first.

NOT an EU thread just a thought on the way other European countries behave.

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Don’t get me started on the French:mad::)

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
My view is that a country can make as many laws and rules as it likes, but they are not free of charge, they each cost money to enforce, and no-one wants to pay taxes to have them enforced fully. As a result, the laws become only a deterrent based on a chance of being caught. It then doesn't take long for the populace to realise their chances of being caught are very slim - especially in such a physically big country like France. It then become a local practice to ignore said rules.

I have family in France and this is the reason why the locals there deem petty laws "optional" and only observe the important ones

On a side note, I do chuckle to myself when us Brits get upset that other countries are not following our beliefs/sensibilities. It's their country, surely they can do whatever they like, otherwise the global map would just say Britain right across it, wouldn't it???
Vive la difference !!!!

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
It's their country, surely they can do whatever they like,
Well no, that's the whole premise/problem of the EU.
When a country signs up, it signs over sovereignty to the EU bureaucrats and 'should' abide by whatever directives they issue.

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
As the owners of two dogs ourselves my wife and I are very aware that travelling with them and F Ting carries responsibilities beyond looking after ourselves. We take great care ensuring that our beasts, Alfie and Louie are ALWAYS tethered either to the van, ourselves or a ground anchor, we carry poop bags in seemingly every pocket to clear up accidents on a campsite and exercise them off the sites/ keep them off beaches etc and yet we are finding that in France the rule of tethering dogs/ not going on beaches at this time of year where the signs are very clear is simply ignored by French dog owners. Twice in the last week I have had to stand between a maurauding dog and our own whilst the owner of the untethered dog seems oblivious to the situation and infact when I point out in my limited French " Keep your dog on a lead please" its almost as though I am in the wrong! God forbid that one of these such dogs should attack either me the wife or my dogs but of course I am sure it will be easier for the Frenchman to explain to the Gendarmerie how it wasn't his fault etc etc etc. In Brittany we watched as dozens of locals take dogs on a clearly marked NO DOGS beach but we chose not to again for the same reason as above. The biggest shame here is when walking through Towns, villages or the countryside the amount of dog waste which it seems the French are happy to just leave with no thought of the impression it leaves ( no pun intended). Have dog = pick up warm poo! No ifs or buts!

We have been taking our dog abroad with us now for quite some years, I have been laughed at for picking up after my dog, I have seen signs totally ignored. I have never ventured near the beach as we live in Pembrokeshire and no full well dogs are banned 1/5 to 30/9 (in holiday areas)

We were going to stay in one small village in the dordogne one year but left due to the amount of excrement that was on the steeets it was absolutely disgusting. They don't seem to care one iota.

I have noticed more bins and bags being available but I can't imagine who will be using them, us definitely but the locals?

My dog is always on lead and this year he was attacked by a dog off lead who's owner was absolutely useless, he could not control his dog and the only way he could restrain him was to kick him off my dog. Thankfully my dog was not hurt but it left us very shaken.

The French are a law to themselves!

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
We have been taking our dog abroad with us now for quite some years, I have been laughed at for picking up after my dog, I have seen signs totally ignored. I have never ventured near the beach as we live in Pembrokeshire and no full well dogs are banned 1/5 to 30/9 (in holiday areas)

We were going to stay in one small village in the dordogne one year but left due to the amount of excrement that was on the steeets it was absolutely disgusting. They don't seem to care one iota.

I have noticed more bins and bags being available but I can't imagine who will be using them, us definitely but the locals?

My dog is always on lead and this year he was attacked by a dog off lead who's owner was absolutely useless, he could not control his dog and the only way he could restrain him was to kick him off my dog. Thankfully my dog was not hurt but it left us very shaken.

The French are a law to themselves!
Dog always on a lead ?
Surely not on walks ?

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy

You can't blame the French for this, they left the Dordogne years ago.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

that was a dog out of control and it's against the law..

On walks along the coast, or fields I keep my two on the lead unless I can see there is no one in sight, especially another dog walker.. but quite often the other dog walker coming toward us will let their dog run up to mine , saying.. don't worry he/she is very friendly .. yeah sure.. tell that to my JRT, he quite naturally sees this as an attack and goes into defensive mode to protect himself and his "friend" our Cairn Terrier.. this sometimes results in a fight.. my pair on their lead while the other dog circles and tries to attack.. so I carry a walking stick to fend off an attacking dog.

No dog is 100% friendly or safe.. had dogs all my life and always remember.. they are domesticated animals with wild dog genes deep within their DNA .. you can never know when or if a dog will change from a lovely adorable pet into a wolf .

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
that was a dog out of control and it's against the law..

On walks along the coast, or fields I keep my two on the lead unless I can see there is no one in sight, especially another dog walker.. but quite often the other dog walker coming toward us will let their dog run up to mine , saying.. don't worry he/she is very friendly .. yeah sure.. tell that to my JRT, he quite naturally sees this as an attack and goes into defensive mode to protect himself and his "friend" our Cairn Terrier.. this sometimes results in a fight.. my pair on their lead while the other dog circles and tries to attack.. so I carry a walking stick to fend off an attacking dog.

No dog is 100% friendly or safe.. had dogs all my life and always remember.. they are domesticated animals with wild dog genes deep within their DNA .. you can never know when or if a dog will change from a lovely adorable pet into a wolf .

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public
Yes I don't trust any dog
Our collie bit me 3 times but her foot was trapped in the rv step that closed on her !
Dogs on leads will always be a recipe for a fight whether the other dogs are free or on leads .

Apr 23, 2018
Cambs
Funster No
MH
In between.
Exp
Since 2017
It's not just in France. I have noticed a huge rise in dog faeces not being picked up recently. I live near a "dogs on leads" area and at least a third of owners ignore the signs. There is no way they are picking up the poo when their dog is 100 yards away! A real shame because we all get tarred with the same brush. Another recent innovation seems to be people picking up the poo and leaving the bag on a bush or fence. I can't understand their mindset.(n)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Another recent innovation seems to be people picking up the poo and leaving the bag on a bush or fence. I can't understand their mindset.(n)

nor me.. just more plastic to endanger wildlife.. why oh why would you do that ?

I carry bags for use when walking on pavements or footpaths and take it home .. but when out in the country I flick it into the hedge with my walking stick..

Oddly enough, there is someone in our estate who goes around putting flags on dog turds ... honestly,

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Hey it isn’t just France, we went to Blackpool and re-christened the golden mile as dog shit mile.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Some beaches in Spain dogs are allowed between high and low water mark thus allowing any of the solid stuff to be washed away

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Some beaches in Spain dogs are allowed between high and low water mark thus allowing any of the solid stuff to be washed away
I'd have thought that by walking them in the inter-tidal zone the incoming tide would just wash it up the beach, leaving it stranded with all the other detritus o_O

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back