Ironbridge (1 Viewer)

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hubby has been desperate to go to Ironbridge for years, any recommendations for campsites please ?

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
This one is opposite Dave Newell's workshop (or near enough)

http://www.severngorgepark.co.uk/tourers.html

and there are buses down to Ironbridge. I'm sure there will be CS or CL sites around as well.
We stayed here while having some work done by Dave Newel and it's about 30 to 45 minute walk to iron bridge, nice clean site very quite but not the cheapest. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We stayed here while having some work done by Dave Newel and it's about 30 to 45 minute walk to iron bridge, nice clean site very quite but not the cheapest. (y)
Stayed there last weekend, same reason; Jackie (Daves wife) booked me in in advance. They've only got 10 pitches and all were taken so best to book beforehand.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
The museums aren't all on one site though - Blist's Hill where the Victorian Village and other stuff is, is one, then Ironbridge - no bigger than a hamlet now, where the actual Bridge is, then there's a steam museum, the Coalport china factory, and Jackfield where the tile museum is on the other side of the Severn. Can't do them all and do them any justice in one day!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Can't do them all and do them any justice in one day!

Totally agree, you need a few days.

There used to be a bus that connected most, if not all, the museums. Does it still run? I liked Blist Hills most. We have always said we would go back.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Totally agree, you need a few days.

There used to be a bus that connected most, if not all, the museums. Does it still run? I liked Blist Hills most. We have always said we would go back.

The bus only runs during August, I think. Parking at Blists Hill is good, especially out of season. Some of the other sites have little/no parking for motorhomes although the Ironbridge itself has a large carpark on the opposite side of the river from the town.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I can't think how you get there from 'your ' side - we've always gone via Telford anyway (even from Kidderminster) which leaves you on Blist's Hill side.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
We went at the end of September this year. Bought the museum passport, which was well worth the money if you want to do it all.
First night we stayed at a BritStop (Bucks Head) but is was quite a way out. Second night we stayed in a car park in front of the old furnace on the main road (not a busy road and we had a good nights sleep).(y) It really is at least a 3 day visit if you want to take it all in. You could spend a day in Blist's hill alone. As has been said before it is a must visit. Have a great time(y)
John and Jan

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We were at DN a couple of weeks ago and got a lift to Bliss hill from a very nice man, spent a great free day there thanks to DN pass and a four quid taxi back to Dave's at the end of the day. Fantastic place with lots of very helpful workers and excellent fish and chips.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
I can't think how you get there from 'your ' side - we've always gone via Telford anyway (even from Kidderminster) which leaves you on Blist's Hill side.
If you stay by the river going out of the town
Take the road out of town going east (downstream) and cross the next bridge then in 200 yards road does an almost back on itself left hander and on the bend there is a lane on the right with signs to car park. This brings you to the one on the other end of the iron bridge.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Take the road out of town going east (downstream) and cross the next bridge then in 200 yards road does an almost back on itself left hander and on the bend there is a lane on the right with signs to car park. This brings you to the one on the other end of the iron bridge.
Correct.(y)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The only proper site in the area is Severn Gorge near our workshop but there are CL/CS sites not too far away, also there is a Britstop about 4 miles away. Ironbridge museums total about 12 sites including Blist's Hill Victorian town, Coalport China Works, the Tar tunnel, Jackfield tile museum, Broseley pipeworks, Ironbridge toll house, museum of the river, Coalbrookdale museum of Iron and Enginuity. The area is well worth a visit but as said you will need more thn one day, Blists Hill alone can take a full day. Shropshire as a wider area has lots to offer too with rolling hills in the south, Ludlow which has more Michelin star restaurants than London, Wenlock edge, Shrewsbury and lots more. Don't forget if you're coming to us to have work done on your motorhome we will give you complimentary tickets for the Ironbridge Museums.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back