Irish tourist told off for waste dumping (1 Viewer)

News

NewsHound
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
Thursday, 20 March Marlborough Express (New Zealand)

Irish tourist told off for waste dumping

Irish tourist Ray Glynn got more than he bargained for when he emptied grey water waste from a campervan in a Picton Supermarket yesterday.

Constable Tim Goodyer of Picton and an angry onlooker were waiting for him when he returned to the campervan with shopping. Picton resident Paul Beauchamp-Legg said he saw a cap underneath the campervan being opened and "white muck" pouring out of the vehicle.

"What I'd like to say about this is unprintable. There are special places at motor camps for this," he said.

Mariner's Mall deputy manager Pat Sowden said he was disgusted someone would do this in a public place.

"It was gushing out for quite a long time. There was a really bad smell with the waste containing pea shells and corn," he said.

Mr Glynn who's touring New Zealand with his wife, Siobhan, said he was shocked the action had caused such a "furore".

"This was a genuine mistake. When I rented the campervan the agent said the grey water tank could be emptied directly on to the side of the road.
"I pulled in beside the drain here (in the supermarket) and didn't realise ..." he said. "I am disappointed with myself that I didn't realise this would be such an issue. I don't want to paint a bad image of tourists in this country or wreak havoc on it."

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Walking around Newark on Sunday I saw quite a few campers emptying grey waste directly on to the pitch before they left. (the pitches were wet anyway:Smile:)

99 times out of a 100 I dump the grey in properly designated area or I take it home. On the odd occasion when the shower tray is full:whatthe: I have drained a little off and placed in a hedge or storm drain.

Is grey waste damaging to the environment if dumped in storm drains and hedgerows?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I use a bucket or other container to empty the grey waste tank into.

When on a camp site I always use a designated grey waste drain. At Newark last Saturday, in the absence of such a drain, I took the contaimer to the Elsan point near the Red Gate to empty it.

When we are at an ECWS muster I usually empty the bucket into a hedgerow at the edge of whatever field we are in, well away from where anyone might pitch a tent or park a van in the future.

I don't believe the grey water does any harm - often enough the government has urged people to use grey water for watering the garden for instance. However, I think dumping on a pitch is not acceptable because of the likelihood that the water contains solids and/or grease. I certainly wouldn't like to turn up somewhere and find "pea shells and corn" or similar had been dumped there.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: susppose if it were in a dry summer (whats one of them:ROFLMAO:) the hedgerow may like having the water:Doh:but then again with the ammount of bleech/washing up liquid SWMBO uses it may kill the hedge:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: An old member of MHF (GT) used to agree with me (rare occasion) that Grey water should do no harm to the environment. Back in the days of Droughts. It was suggested by the Gardening TV shows (and newspapers) to use Washing and Washing up water to water plants. :winky:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Well the most our grey water contains is soap from washing up and washing.

Bleach NO! only what may be in the soap and I hope not that much.

The supermarket should stop selling soap and washing up liquid maybe?

Suppose people washing cars in the street is just a bad.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
My local CL owner encourages you to put it in the hedge as he has to pay for the tank to be emptied. To be honest I can't see a problem with it, if it saves one tanker load round trip it's got to be better for the environment.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Walking around Newark on Sunday I saw quite a few campers emptying grey waste directly on to the pitch before they left. (the pitches were wet anyway:Smile:)

99 times out of a 100 I dump the grey in properly designated area or I take it home. On the odd occasion when the shower tray is full:whatthe: I have drained a little off and placed in a hedge or storm drain.

Is grey waste damaging to the environment if dumped in storm drains and hedgerows?

Hi Jim I think that you will find it is a very widespread practise for both Motorhomers and caravaners to let their grey waste onto the ground 'Trinkling ' I think they call it many do it at night under the cover of darkness, I know of at least ten people who have admitted to this practice, not being a goody 2 shoes I have never ever let grey waste onto the ground or down a drain as I use it at the dump to fush out the sewer hose!! Or if stuck I carry a wastecarrier I know it's a pain but empty into that then take that to the elsan point may take a few trips though:Sad:!!!

Regards Pat

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Dumping waste water

When on a Camping Club Rally the RULE is that all waste water [ They like to call it grey water ] must be disposed of in the hedge row of the field,Thats one of the reasons that the perimiter of the field gets filled first,less distance to carry the water. So if its good enough for one of the major clubs it's good enough for me.:thumb:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
On the odd occasion when the shower tray is full:whatthe: I have drained a little off and placed in a hedge or storm drain.

Not unless it is vastly polluted with chemicals. In the good old days when we had Summer droughts (still do even though it rains :Eeek:). We were recommended to use washing up water etc for watering the garden and plants. :winky:

I used to water them regularly when I was a BEER drinker. :ROFLMAO:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

I would say no its not. However a lot depends upon how the local environment office interprate the environmental protection act and believe me they all have a different interpretation.

Ive had a fair amount of dealings with the environment agencey through my work and I very much doubt that they would even consider taking action against somebody who disposed of grey waste in a hedgerow, a field, a drain etc etc.

I personally have never disposed of grey waste other than in a site disposal point or my drain at home. If you dont have to do it dont.

Jim :RollEyes:

Drylander

Free Member
Aug 28, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 Years
GREY WATER Etc

Not Strictly applicable but this thread reminds me of a question posed during my Submarine Part 1 Systems Training -

Q - What tank does the Wardroom slops and sewage drain down into?

A - (From bright spark) Into the ratings fresh water tank!!

Happy Days - Motorhomes are similar to S/Ms:
Cosily cramped, but at least you can see outside of the hull of a MH!!

D

davol

Deleted User
Hi,

We were told to drain grey waste when travelling, so we usually pull in just before joining motorway and open tap so by time we arrive home the tank is empty. Is this the norm? (only washing up water after all) We are new to motorhoming so still learning. Love the site, learning so much all the time.:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi,

We were told to drain grey waste when travelling, so we usually pull in just before joining motorway and open tap so by time we arrive home the tank is empty. Is this the norm? (only washing up water after all) We are new to motorhoming so still learning. Love the site, learning so much all the time.:thumb:

As posted above, I always dispose of grey water at a drain or hedgerow. I appreciate, though, that some people have been advised to drain whilst travelling.

Perhaps the question to be answered by everyone (and I'm not getting at anyone, by the way) is "would you be happy if somebody dumped their washing up water (including bits of food) on your drive or garden path?"

Graham

D

davol

Deleted User
As posted above, I always dispose of grey water at a drain or hedgerow. I appreciate, though, that some people have been advised to drain whilst travelling.

Perhaps the question to be answered by everyone (and I'm not getting at anyone, by the way) is "would you be happy if somebody dumped their washing up water (including bits of food) on your drive or garden path?"

Graham

That is why we thought it was ok on motorways, as i said we are new to all this, so any advice is appreciated.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back