ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi just thought I would tell you all a little bit about our trip to Ireland.

We left on Saturday 5Th April and returned today.

Before I left I had e'mailed a few sites to ask a: if they could accomodate a 34' RV and b: did I need to book well they all responded in typical Irish fashion "no bother just tirn up we we'll fit you in"!!!!

Got off the Pembroke-Rosslare ferry and within an hour we we just north of Wexford at the Trading Post Camper Park There was a small old pub a few yards away that served the best pint of Guiness I have had for years and the people were really friendly

100_1535.jpg

On the Monday after waking up to snow!

100_1537.jpg

We headed across country to a site just outside Killkenny Treegrove

100_1542.jpg

It was a 25 minute walk into the town had a good look around and visited the castle and of course went for refreshments found a really good pub with a really helpful Irish barmaid unlike others who had foreign girls who struggled with English!

We then left on the Friday 11th and got to Camac Valley site just outside Dublin we stayed here till Monday as our daughter lives in the city. Although Dublin is very vibrant I am not a great lover of the city the place is over run with Eastern block people mostly Polish there were also a lot of foreign beggars. The good old Irish barman is disappearing very fast as this invasion takes over!! Never the less we had a good time and the site is very good and about an hour on the bus to the city centre 2 Euro eachway!

100_1548.jpg

Then we travelled to my aunts farm in Mayo just outside Swinford had loads of relatives to see and my cousin allowed us to use his car so day trips to Castlebar, Ballina and Sligo were taken and in each town I'm sad to say staff at shops bars and even Pizza Hut were in the main eastern European! I must say I do admire these people for making a new life for them selves but it is so frustrating having to make yourselve understood in what is essentialy my home country!

My aunts farm, do you like the painwork?
100_1562.jpg

It was our plan to travel down to Galway and further south but my aunt would not hear of us only spending a couple of days with them so we finally left on Sunday late afternoon to drive the 200 odd miles to Rosslare.

This was the first time to Ireland in the RV all in all a thoroughly enjoyable holiday the roads are very good with a few exceptions and driving the RV was not a problem all the sites we stayed on were very helpful with good facilities only one slight niggle why do some charge seperately for showers? The hook ups were fine and we did not trip one which I feel is quite good as most were rated at 6amp!

Forgot to add deisel over there is getting expensive for them anyway 1.26 Euro which makes it about just over a pound sterling!

Regards Pat

Last edited:
R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Hi Pat

I am really pleased you managed to get away and have a good time.

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
Blimey Pat, you ought to think yourself lucky. A week earlier
and you could have had a big yellow stripe across the front
of the R.V. :ROFLMAO: Glad you enjoyed it. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
hi pat. We enjoyed your Irish adventure. :thumb: Having never been out of the Uk for many years, could i ask, do you need a passport to get into Ireland ? We have concidered going this year.

Pudseykeith

OP
OP
ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
hi pat. We enjoyed your Irish adventure. :thumb: Having never been out of the Uk for many years, could i ask, do you need a passport to get into Ireland ? We have concidered going this year.

Pudseykeith

Hi I don't think that you do need a passport but you do need photographic ID of some kind such as a driving licence.

I know that when I have flown to Ireland with Ryanair from Bournemouth they only required that!

Regards Pat

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
No passport needed BUT you do need a vast capability to talk to people - everybody and anybody will talk to you as if you were known to them for their whole life. - Lovely people.

I couldn't get used to their driving manners when I had Mo in the wheelchair walking along a pavement in an ordinary road. If I so much as turned the chair toward the road kerb - every car on the road would stop and leave a clean route across the road for me - absolutely unbelievably good manners.

You do need a car to get around the 'back' roads in the Country to really see the whole country - lots of road up around the ring of Kerry where you really would not want to take an RV - even the tourist coaches don't go there.

OP
OP
ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
I must totally agree with Dick the Irish are the most friendliest peoople I have ever come across even walking down the road people will nod and say 'hello' or 'how are you going'

They are also very low key about their driving, I generally kept to around the 45 mph mark and over here you would have drivers beeping their horns or for ever trying to overtake you the Irish all seemed quite content to potter along behind! But on the other hand their parking in towns did leave a lot to be desired they would just pull up and get out double parked or not to go to the bank shop or even the pub. I can honestly say that I can't remember anyone beeping their horn while I was there!

All the speed limits and distances are now in kilometres and the new Irish cars have no mph on the speedo!

All that having been said the cost of living has gone sky high and it doesn't help us either as the Euro is so strong so it is not a cheap holiday anymore also the cost of the ferry is very dear!

Still worth the trip we shall go again definitely!

Regards Pat

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
Reckon you'll be gettin' a visit from the big fella Steve,
when he sees what you have done to his bus mate.:Angry:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

aido

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Co. Wicklow
Funster No
MH
Euromobil
Exp
8 years
Moandick wrote:

You do need a car to get around the 'back' roads in the Country to really see the whole country - lots of road up around the ring of Kerry where you really would not want to take an RV - even the tourist coaches don't go there......

Have to disagree the ring of Kerry is One of the top attractions and is full of tourist coaches every day they travel anticlockwise around the ring to avoid meeting one another on the narrow roads. It is wise to travel that way also if you want to see the Ring of Kerry.:winky:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Aido

I wouldn't dream of arguing with you - because we certainly did see lots and lots of tourist coaches whilst we were in the car BUT I thought there were several carved out 'rock' bridges where I didn't think a coach would go through?

Secondly the reason I wouldn't like to take my RV up there - is that polishing the side of the coach with the shrubbery on the side of the roadd might be alright if the coach belongs to somebody else but not mine, that's for sure.

Whatever way you go - the Ring of Kerry is a very definite must on the site seeing itinery!

aido

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Co. Wicklow
Funster No
MH
Euromobil
Exp
8 years
post subject

Thats why I like left hand drive MH 's you can keep away from the ditches. :ROFLMAO:

Aido:Smile:

aido

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Co. Wicklow
Funster No
MH
Euromobil
Exp
8 years
post subject

Glad you had a good time over here, Love the Photos wish I could put Photos on the site. just dont have the know how:Blush:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
If it is of any help go to Forums then website help then sub forums Jim has done a "how to" this may help you. :thumb:

M

Mitch

Deleted User
Hi Pat, we'd love to go but we've had some ridiculous prices for crossings.
We're in North Wales so we'd cross from Holyhead.
Anything from £45 to £735 ???
Madness, is that normal ?

Looks like you had a great time.

Mitch:Smile:

OP
OP
ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi Mitch,

Yes the prices are very very dear I think that we were lucky as my son had his Easter Holidays after Easter! As the schools wanted to keep terms the same length and as such altered the so called Easter Holiday!

I don't think the ferry company realised otherwise the prices would have been horrendous!!!!

I went wth Irish Ferries as their pricing structure only goes as far as 'Motorhome over 8m' where as Stenna went up in increments for length as well as height!!!

For a 34' RV with 2 adults and a child it actually cost £346 return Pembroke - Rosslare which is expensive but we had a great time and as such bearable!

We had a really good time and had relatives to see as well so would have gone any way and with the car would have cost about £240.00p! This way we saw alot more of Ireland and will definitely return again next year!

Regards Pat

OP
OP
ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Glad you had a good time over here, Love the Photos wish I could put Photos on the site. just dont have the know how:Blush:

Hi Aido if you have pics create a profile and put them on site such as photobucket.com when you have uploaded your pics if you look under your pics you will see a list if you right click on the 'img code' then come on here and press ctrl and v together your pic will be put into your message!

It's not that hard after all I can do it and I'm an oldie:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Please try it

Regards Pat

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
An oldie, indeed - I don't believe a word of it - the picture under your signature makes you look quite young and proud :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back