Ireland (1 Viewer)

Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
Its looking like going to the continent is looking unlikely so we are thinking of going to Ireland for a break. Are there any tips from seasoned travellors ? when I say travellors I dont mean ................ It would be good to have a sub section for Ireland for me selfish type's. (y)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I`m going to Ireland in July assuming we`re allowed.
One thing I have picked up is waste disposal (general waste) is difficult unless your using sites then you can use their bins.
Public bins apparently have very small openings, think the size of a can of pop to limit what can be put in.
There are quite strict recycling regs and charges so people padlock their bins :eek:
This doesn`t result in lots of litter though apparently.
I like a few nights wild camping then a 1 or 2 nights on a site, so I`ll need to factor this in.
I`m hoping to explore the wild atlantic way but it`s quite a lot of coast so may not do it all
I did a few weeks work over there a few years ago, travelling around, and it is a lovely country but apart from that no experience

• Informative
Reactions: f6c

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Took us two visits of 3 weeks each to do all the Wild Atlantic Way, sticking as far as possible to the route. If you want to do it be warned it literally sticks as close as possible to the coast so that quite often you find yourselves on narrow, winding single track roads - be prepared to give way to oncoming traffic. It's very tight in anything bigger than a 7m van. See our blog in the signature. At the first opportunity get the (free) booklets from a T.I. office which give you lots of additional info.

We might be going back in the autumn to have a look at the rest of Ireland - covid permitting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
Join Motorhome craic (Free) , plenty of info there and get the App
https://motorhomeparkingireland.com/wp/,
I was there for a month in 2019 and have done the north and south a couple of time before that and the waste is a bit of a problem in the south but there are tips ( get rid of packaging at the supermarket etc)to keep your rubbish down but your ok in the north , have a few dash cam videos and blogs on https://www.rebbyvid.co.uk/

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I`m going to Ireland in July assuming we`re allowed.
One thing I have picked up is waste disposal (general waste) is difficult unless your using sites then you can use their bins.
Public bins apparently have very small openings, think the size of a can of pop to limit what can be put in.
There are quite strict recycling regs and charges so people padlock their bins :eek:
This doesn`t result in lots of litter though apparently.
I like a few nights wild camping then a 1 or 2 nights on a site, so I`ll need to factor this in.
I`m hoping to explore the wild atlantic way but it`s quite a lot of coast so may not do it all
I did a few weeks work over there a few years ago, travelling around, and it is a lovely country but apart from that no experience
Currently there is a 5km limit on travel south of the border, (10ml in the north). This will be reviewed in the next month and may extended to 20km, so as you say ..assuming it’s allowed.

OP
OP
Roger S
Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for the info (y) much appreciated.

Roger

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We are fancying a trip to the south of Ireland sometime this summer. Has any one any tips - price's and time's to go?
I imagine traveling from Holyhead would be our best bet but its looking like around £400-£500 for the cheapest return tickets.

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Toured the west coast may time in my Motorcycling Days. Just take your time and be prepared for the hospitality. (y)

Daniel. M

Free Member
May 19, 2020
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090DF
Exp
Getting there 🤫
I've booked a Belfast/ Northern Ireland trip in July, ferry booked but no campsites as yet, I thought it was a safer option than mingling with those European types 😆😆😆

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
We are fancying a trip to the south of Ireland sometime this summer. Has any one any tips - price's and time's to go?
I imagine traveling from Holyhead would be our best bet but its looking like around £400-£500 for the cheapest return tickets.
I`m going Cairnryan / Larne for £270 (y) if covid allows

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Take a look at 'motorhome craic' much like a smaller fun group and - very helpfull.
Lovely countries to tour around.

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Take a look at 'motorhome craic' much like a smaller fun group and - very helpfull.
Lovely countries to tour around.

Yes and they have a brilliant app for parking/camping/gas suppliers etc and it’s cheap called. Motorhome Parking Ireland

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Winger yes the app is very good and inexpensive but that's about the only thing in Eire that is. Dublin is well worth a visit but eyewateringly expensive for food and drink as are most other things in the south.

Pirahna

Free Member
Aug 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
Since never. I've been a lightweight tent camper for the last 45 years.
I'm just back from a 3 week trip to Ireland, my parents live there and mum doesn't have too long left. I had a letter from the hospital stating this, plus a £150 covid test, plus the online Irish tracking form, plus the silly UK form that doesn't actually do anything. The Irish government ask you to self isolate for 14 days but I cut this short by paying for another covid test after 5 days.

The vaccine rollout in Ireland and the EU in general is such a shambles that I don't expect it to open for travelers any time soon. As long as you have a genuine reason for travel you should be ok.

Coming back to the UK is fine, no tests or paperwork required.

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
For current restrictions in Ireland check gov.ie and nidirect.gov.uk

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can use Tesco vouchers for some crossings so worth checking if the routes you want to use are included as it takes up to £220 (return) off the cost.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We were seriously considering Ireland this year too as we've been 3 times before an love it but with the pratting about with the dogs beforehand and then trying to get an EU version of the pet passport for our return to saving having to get an AHC again to go out form the UK we decided it was just too much hassle at present and especially if there is still a need for testing for us, so are hoping to go to Scotland instead.

If the situation improves for Ireland we may go later as we love it, wonderful people, lovely scenery and relaxing. If you do go join the heritage association (can't remember the name) as it give you loads of free access to sites for very little initial outlay, also a trip to Newgrange passage tomb and others around it are most definitely not to be missed, even if you're not massively into this sort of thing it will blow your mind at the sheer scale and skill of it.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We've had two trips to Ireland in the past couple of years and loved the place, even though there were a lot of Covid-restrictions the last time. Would love to get back soonest.

BUT there's been so much pratting around with regulations, dog passports, Schengen rules etc. regretfully it's been placed in the Europe section for at least this year - i.e. we're not planning to visit.

Aug 23, 2020
County Down, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096df 2022
Exp
Since 2020(!)
Northern Ireland sites opening from 30th, but no facilities open.

DMartin

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 27, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Jerba Sanna (VW T6)
Exp
since 2017

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun