Free Member
Apr 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago A Class
Exp
Too long to remember
Good morning all.
We currently have a ferry booked from Wales into Rosslare on the 7th of September. We plan to spend a month travelling the Atlantic Way (clockwise) returning from Belfast early October.
I understand that currently Ireland has a 14 day quarantine requirement for anyone landing on their shores - some exceptions I know including travel from NI. However, does anyone know if these rules are likely to be relaxed anytime soon ? Also can you quarantine in a MH ?
Also as this is our first time travelling to the Emerald Isle does anyone have any tips or advice, apart from taking good wet weather clothing.
Thanks for reading.
Andrew & Caroline

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
:crying1: Say Hello to Milltown CoKerry for me, pop into Larkins Pub for a Guinness and leave a message for Johnjo that his cousin Kev will be back later this year.

Larkins is closed due to Covid, but I’m sure they will still be serving anyway.

self isolation guide herehttps://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/managing-coronavirus-at-home/self-isolation.html

I‘ve not heard of anyone being stopped at Rosslare re Covid, I’ll ask my cousin who crossed on Friday with a caravan.

Only difference with driving is be mindful in rural areas as the drink driving laws aren’t always as well enforced, especially for farmers in tractors.

Road signs are meant to ALL be in km now, but they still aren’t.

Have a great time.... hate him,,,, hate him...:crying1:

OP
OP
Tommo and Ca

Tommo and Ca

Free Member
Apr 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago A Class
Exp
Too long to remember
Thanks Boris. Would be interested to hear how your cousin got on.
Larkin's is now on the to-do list..........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Don't forget to spend a week in Galway. You can parkup on the quayside. Try Fat Freddy's on Shop St. Likewise the King's Head. M. T Pocket's on Aire Square, ......I could keep adding for hours.

Phil
PS Busker Brown's for jazz on Sunday lunchtime.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
By September hopefully any restrictions should be lifted, if not could you do the trip the other way so you e tee from N. I.

Don't make the mistake of order a half pint for the miss they put a 30% premium on ½ pints.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Tommo and Ca

Tommo and Ca

Free Member
Apr 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago A Class
Exp
Too long to remember
Our list is getting longer.....thanks.

OP
OP
Tommo and Ca

Tommo and Ca

Free Member
Apr 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago A Class
Exp
Too long to remember
Thanks Lenny.
Going the opposite way is our fall back plan.
Didn't know about the 30% premium on halfs......looks like I will have to have a pint and a half to the misses' half then.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
She’s told me they sailed through.

People it seems are being sensible, they have stayed away from businesses etc

OP
OP
Tommo and Ca

Tommo and Ca

Free Member
Apr 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago A Class
Exp
Too long to remember
Once again thanks Boris.....hopefully things will be settled by Sept.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Feel free to contact me closer the time, if work doesn’t pick up I will go over myself.

If we are there we‘ll show you the craic

OP
OP
Tommo and Ca

Tommo and Ca

Free Member
Apr 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago A Class
Exp
Too long to remember
That would be amazing thanks.

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
Good morning all.
We currently have a ferry booked from Wales into Rosslare on the 7th of September. We plan to spend a month travelling the Atlantic Way (clockwise) returning from Belfast early October.
I understand that currently Ireland has a 14 day quarantine requirement for anyone landing on their shores - some exceptions I know including travel from NI. However, does anyone know if these rules are likely to be relaxed anytime soon ? Also can you quarantine in a MH ?
Also as this is our first time travelling to the Emerald Isle does anyone have any tips or advice, apart from taking good wet weather clothing.
Thanks for reading.
Andrew & Caroline
Hi..this might be of use to yourselves and Lanerboy
We plan to travel for a total of 6 weeks (ish)
Wild Atlantic Way and Northern Ireland..we will keep ferry tickets and boarding pass as evidence of when we landed.
I contacted Tourism Ireland this is part of their response..if you would like the full reply pm me your email address and I will forward it to you..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200830-002322_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20200830-002322_Email.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
Tommo and Ca

Tommo and Ca

Free Member
Apr 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago A Class
Exp
Too long to remember
Many thanks Sandra....enjoy your trip.

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
I live on the wild Atlantic way and here are a few bits of advice.
As of now all pubs that don't serve food are shut probably for the rest of the year.as regards the pubs that do serve food, you can only have a drink if you order a meal equal to or more than 9 euro.you are limited to a time of 105 minutes(although the may be some flexibility with the time side of things).
The police have just got increased Powers to enforce this.
Also a previous poster recommended Galway city.things have changed there and now it is one of the major anti motorhome places in Ireland.
No camping signs in the spots that were used for parking before.fines issued for not been exactly between the lines of the car spaces and no reasoning with the wardens.the designated parking area was objected to by vested interests and got rid of.nice city but unless you're on a campsite, you're not welcome.
This app is well worth it

• Informative
Reactions: f6c

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
Any more questions,just ask

OP
OP
Tommo and Ca

Tommo and Ca

Free Member
Apr 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago A Class
Exp
Too long to remember
Many thanks Spade.
Interesting comments about pubs/food etc. Much appreciated.
Not sure how welcoming the authorities will be when we arrive in Rosslare.
Plan A is for us to stay in Ireland from date of arrival and keep a very low profile and restrict our movements in the M/H.
Plan B is for us to travel from Rosslare to the North returning South after a couple of weeks.
Do you know if plan A will be acceptable to the authorities ??
Thanks in advance.

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
The major issue could be if they close the border. The covid situation is changing by the day here.there are rising cases and the schools are just back and more case's are forecast.there is talk of county,regional or full lockdown so I cannot answer that question
unfortunately. once you are in there should be no bother in moving around.

OP
OP
Tommo and Ca

Tommo and Ca

Free Member
Apr 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago A Class
Exp
Too long to remember
We'll we have a sense of adventure so will go with the flow.
Thanks for your help.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
My Son went to our house in Donegal over two weeks ago. We were due to go but didnt want to stay in for 2 weeks so stayed home. My Son says the Police were cruising round checking people with English number plates to see if they had isolated. His two weeks were up Friday so he can now go out. Believe you me, in our neck of the woods the neighbours would have grassed him up if he hadn't isolated for two weeks. From what I can gather from family members everyone is still very scared. I had intended to go in April but have moved my crossing 3 times now and its booked for October. I think I will end up getting a refund and waiting until next year.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I've been watching the travel trolls TV on youtube. They're touring Ireland since January and visited some intetesting places. The vlogs are sometimes a bit silly as can they be, but interesting for the travels and places of intetest.
They seem to have had no trouble related to CV19

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I've been watching the travel trolls TV on youtube. They're touring Ireland since January and visited some intetesting places. The vlogs are sometimes a bit silly as can they be, but interesting for the travels and places of intetest.
They seem to have had no trouble related to CV19
Have a look at their latest vlog, where the traffic wardens booked them twice and then ended up with a detective visiting them and telling them they were wrong and the wardens were right Travel trolls seem to be causing issues when they do not need to just to get their subscribers up.
I did tell them what I thought of the bad light they have put Uk motohomers in Ireland.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We're in an absolute quandary. Have been booked for a couple of months for a crossing to Belfast from Stranraer on Wednesday with the plan to overnight in the North before carrying on to Galway to continue our trip along the Wild Atlantic Way. We "did" N.I. last year, although not all of it. I've scoured all the websites for Ireland and N.I. and as far as I can tell we would not be breaking any laws as long as we abided by the Irish lockdown rules - it's daft because if we entered via Dublin on a ferry we'd have to complete the Covid registration form (but you can't do the form coming from N.I!) and quarantine for 14 days. The only caveat I can find is that the Irish government are advising (my emphasis) against touring.

Are we being immoral if we still continued our planned journey, given that it is probably against the "spirit" of the regulations? I still think the Garda couldn't do anything about it, but really don't want any hassle.

It's too late to get a refund on the ferry fare so, as we were intending to go for 3 weeks, the plan is currently to still cross but remain in the North for up to 10 days then amend the return date and finish off with the rest on the west coast of Scotland, an area we haven't visited for a number of years and which we love. Nice as N.I. is I don't think we could stretch that to 14 days and leave only a week to do what we'd intended.

As it seems many of the attractions will be closed down, or severely restricted, maybe we should just forget it for this trip - Ireland will still be there in the future.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
We're in an absolute quandary. Have been booked for a couple of months for a crossing to Belfast from Stranraer on Wednesday with the plan to overnight in the North before carrying on to Galway to continue our trip along the Wild Atlantic Way. We "did" N.I. last year, although not all of it. I've scoured all the websites for Ireland and N.I. and as far as I can tell we would not be breaking any laws as long as we abided by the Irish lockdown rules - it's daft because if we entered via Dublin on a ferry we'd have to complete the Covid registration form (but you can't do the form coming from N.I!) and quarantine for 14 days. The only caveat I can find is that the Irish government are advising (my emphasis) against touring.

Are we being immoral if we still continued our planned journey, given that it is probably against the "spirit" of the regulations? I still think the Garda couldn't do anything about it, but really don't want any hassle.

It's too late to get a refund on the ferry fare so, as we were intending to go for 3 weeks, the plan is currently to still cross but remain in the North for up to 10 days then amend the return date and finish off with the rest on the west coast of Scotland, an area we haven't visited for a number of years and which we love. Nice as N.I. is I don't think we could stretch that to 14 days and leave only a week to do what we'd intended.

As it seems many of the attractions will be closed down, or severely restricted, maybe we should just forget it for this trip - Ireland will still be there in the future.
It’s a very hard call, you have invested time and money for this trip and you don’t want to waste either but, if you think about what the locals may be thinking when they see you, have you got the virus, can they catch it from you, is it worth the stress and possible adverse reactions and if you do get any Will it spoil the trip for you. Hard call

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
We're in an absolute quandary. Have been booked for a couple of months for a crossing to Belfast from Stranraer on Wednesday with the plan to overnight in the North before carrying on to Galway to continue our trip along the Wild Atlantic Way.
Assuming you`re planning on enjoying the quieter / isolated regions of Ireland, I think I`d just go and enjoy.
You`d not be breaking any laws and from what I know of the Irish, they`ll be delighted to see you - from a socially distanced perspective anyway.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just an update. We decided to just go and take all the usual precautions, having taken some advice from "local" Funster CaptainPaul

Apart from the weather, which to be honest up until now has been less than friendly, we've experienced no problems. We're keeping to ourselves, apart from our travelling companions, but everybody has been friendly with no signs of any hostility. We have eaten out, with the same conditions as in the UK such as distancing but if you want a drink you have to have a meal with it. Consequently many of the "music & craic" pubs are closed, which we've found disappointing.

But the one very noticeable thing is that, very much like the UK, the Irish went bonkers over the weekend with all the touristy spots being overwhelmed, no distancing and very few face masks in evidence. Trying to get parked anywhere along the Wild Atlantic Way was a nightmare so we gave up and booked into a very nice small campsite at Doonbeg (Strandcamping, run by an English ex-Funster couple) for couple of days to let everything settle down again.

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
That's useful..we arrived in northern Ireland on Friday night...no problems finding beautiful overnight spots..so far it has been very easy to fill and empty..other half has been fishing..and people are so very friendly and helpful..so far we gave been given a fish for our tea..a load of bait...and last night at a picnic site..a man knocked on our door and gave us home made chocolate cake and home made ginger cake..we will cross into the Republic on 18th..

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Well as you will have been in N.I. for 14 days the Irish aren't going to be bothered with you then, vis-a-vis coronavirus quarantine.

Enjoy - it was our experiences last year that made us keen to return.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back