Ireland, Pet Passport success (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I can confirm that we have just obtained two EU Pet Passports for our two dogs. 45 euros each, so 90 total.

Crossed from Cairnryan to Larne, no AHC required at any point. The vet we used was the same one as the OP, ie Anne Scott just outside of Carndonagh. She works from a farm on the Tulanree Road (misspelled Tulnaree on my map).

We already had old EU pet passports, so the details were entered from that, including our English name and address. No AHC required. The pet chip was checked with a chip reader device. She advised us to keep the old EU passport handy because that had the rabies jab information on it. When that jab expires in a year or two, the info for the new rabies jab will go on the new EU passport and the old one will be unnecessary.

Other info relevant for motorhomers, not related to the vet thing. Carndonagh is just south of Malin Head (the northernmost point of Ireland), on the Inishowen peninsula, between Lough Foyle and Lough Swilly.

In Carndonagh there is a motorhome service point - black and grey water dump. Water is available - 1 jeton gives you 100 litres. Also there's 2 electric points, 1 jeton gives 1 hour. I don't know where to get a jeton or how much they are.

There is a free aire for up to seven motorhomes behind the Inishowen Tourist Info Office in Buncrana, on the coast. Free water, no dump points. Recycling (glass/cans) but no general waste bins on the other side of the fence. Electricity for 3 MHs, buy a card for 5 euros from the garage opposite, gives 10 'units', ie 10 kWh. That's a lot of electricity - equivalent to about 10 average leisure batteries. The tourist office gave us a nice booklet with a good map of the area and lots of ideas for things to see/do. The Wild Atlantic Way starts at Malin Head, and goes all down the West Coast of Ireland. They also gave us a camp site book, which is mostly the big sites with lots of facilities.

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
I can confirm that we have just obtained two EU Pet Passports for our two dogs. 45 euros each, so 90 total.

Crossed from Cairnryan to Larne, no AHC required at any point. The vet we used was the same one as the OP, ie Anne Scott just outside of Carndonagh. She works from a farm on the Tulanree Road (misspelled Tulnaree on my map).

We already had old EU pet passports, so the details were entered from that, including our English name and address. No AHC required. The pet chip was checked with a chip reader device. She advised us to keep the old EU passport handy because that had the rabies jab information on it. When that jab expires in a year or two, the info for the new rabies jab will go on the new EU passport and the old one will be unnecessary.

Other info relevant for motorhomers, not related to the vet thing. Carndonagh is just south of Malin Head (the northernmost point of Ireland), on the Inishowen peninsula, between Lough Foyle and Lough Swilly.

In Carndonagh there is a motorhome service point - black and grey water dump. Water is available - 1 jeton gives you 100 litres. Also there's 2 electric points, 1 jeton gives 1 hour. I don't know where to get a jeton or how much they are.

There is a free aire for up to seven motorhomes behind the Inishowen Tourist Info Office in Buncrana, on the coast. Free water, no dump points. Recycling (glass/cans) but no general waste bins on the other side of the fence. Electricity for 3 MHs, buy a card for 5 euros from the garage opposite, gives 10 'units', ie 10 kWh. That's a lot of electricity - equivalent to about 10 average leisure batteries. The tourist office gave us a nice booklet with a good map of the area and lots of ideas for things to see/do. The Wild Atlantic Way starts at Malin Head, and goes all down the West Coast of Ireland. They also gave us a camp site book, which is mostly the big sites with lots of facilities.
Yay !
Well done glad you were as successful as we were. It really does work. !

OP
OP
Downsie
Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
Sure does!
To anyone else contemplating this route, just bear in mind that an AHC is going to be needed from 1st October, unless all checks are suspended again. The NI government website seems the best for current information.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Sure does!
To anyone else contemplating this route, just bear in mind that an AHC is going to be needed from 1st October, unless all checks are suspended again. The NI government website seems the best for current information.
Some degree of confusion around this point it seems. I read this on the NI Department of Agriculture site this morning https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/articles/travelling-pets

"On 6 September 2021, the UK Government issued a written statement confirming that the current Protocol arrangements will continue, including no routine checks on pet travel within the UK."

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I had my dog issued with a PP at Letterkenny Small Animal Hospital, 40 euro. Rabies vacc data transfered over.
Walkable from free parkup at Donaheys motorhome dealership, ehu, water and waste, black and grey all free / donation into charity box.
Very friendly staff and lots of accessories in the shop.
Donegal is spectacular following the WAW.
We've ventured off it a bit now to Enniskillen but plan to rejoin later in the week.

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
I had my dog issued with a PP at Letterkenny Small Animal Hospital, 40 euro. Rabies vacc data transfered over.
Walkable from free parkup at Donaheys motorhome dealership, ehu, water and waste, black and grey all free / donation into charity box.
Donegal is spectacular following the WAW.
We've ventured off it a bit now to Enniskillen but plan to rejoin later in the week.
So glad you made it successfully!
It’s so beautiful there isn’t it.
Icing on the cake getting the passport!

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
All of the various reports and news bulletins in NI have stated that the '1st Oct deadline' has now been deferred indefinitely.

.........but it has also been highlighted that you will need an AHC prior to any travel from NI to the ROI.

Therefore, if someone intends to travel from NI to the ROI to acquire an AHC then in theory they'll be breaking the rules.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
All of the various reports and news bulletins in NI have stated that the '1st Oct deadline' has now been deferred indefinitely.

.........but it has also been highlighted that you will need an AHC prior to any travel from NI to the ROI.

Therefore, if someone intends to travel from NI to the ROI to acquire an AHC then in theory they'll be breaking the rules.
I think you mean travel to ROI for pet passport not AHC ?
If there are no checks for AHC at NI ports why would anyone pay up to 300 pounds to a UK vet cashing in on the situation.
It may be required in theory, but if nobody's checking ........ why bother.

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
If there are no checks for AHC at NI ports why would anyone pay up to 300 pounds to a UK vet cashing in on the situation.
This is the dilemma I am facing! I think we may risk going without the AHC but I am a little concerned! 😱

OP
OP
Downsie
Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993

But the ‘rules’ ignore entry from NI to ROI in as much as they state entry to ROI must be through one of the ports in the south of ROI. Nowhere in the guidance to vets is entry from NI mentioned, and this does appear to be a grey area. However, talk to anyone in Donegal and they will look at you unbelievingly at the concept of checks of anything at the border, usually only apparent by the change in road surface! I’ve been visiting close family in Inishowen frequently for almost 30 years and I do understand that people unfamiliar with the situation will find it all rather odd!

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

Yep, I completely understand what you're saying but the point about 'nobody checking' is not something I would necessarily agree with myself.

In my part of rural Durham there are a number of cars with no MOT, no Tax and no Insurance. In some places it is quite rife but the police have insufficient resources available to keep these law breakers in check.

The point about nobody checking is fine for the guy who gets away with it but I'm one of those simple guys who adheres to the law and the regulations and therefore does things by the book.

All good points though.

Andrew

OP
OP
Downsie
Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
This is the dilemma I am facing! I think we may risk going without the AHC but I am a little concerned! 😱
We do now have several successes and, as far as i’m aware, no failures. The only bit that concerned me was checks at Larne or Belfast on landing, so I emailed the port who confirmed no checks. Just make very sure pet checks are still suspended after 1st Oct.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
But the ‘rules’ ignore entry from NI to ROI in as much as they state entry to ROI must be through one of the ports in the south of ROI. Nowhere in the guidance to vets is entry from NI mentioned, and this does appear to be a grey area. However, talk to anyone in Donegal and they will look at you unbelievingly at the concept of checks of anything at the border, usually only apparent by the change in road surface! I’ve been visiting close family in Inishowen frequently for almost 30 years and I do understand that people unfamiliar with the situation will find it all rather odd!

Yes, a grey area indeed but what's the physical difference between entering from the UK to the ROI on the same day, directly by boat or, doing the same trip in one day from Scotland-NI-ROI.

The same threat exists in terms of disease etc so I reckon we should be adhering to the fact that a border has been crossed and not the method of how we got there.

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
Downsie
Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
Yep, I completely understand what you're saying but the point about 'nobody checking' is not something I would necessarily agree with myself.

In my part of rural Durham there are a number of cars with no MOT, no Tax and no Insurance. In some places it is quite rife but the police have insufficient resources available to keep these law breakers in check.

The point about nobody checking is fine for the guy who gets away with it but I'm one of those simple guys who adheres to the law and the regulations and therefore does things by the book.

All good points though.

Andrew
Sorry, it’s not nobody checking (although that is true), it’s that the ‘rules’ have been suspended

OP
OP
Downsie
Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
Yes, a grey area indeed but what's the physical difference between entering from the UK to the ROI on the same day, directly by boat or, doing the same trip in one day from Scotland-NI-ROI.

The same threat exists in terms of disease etc so I reckon we should be adhering to the fact that a border has been crossed and not the method of how we got there.

All the best,

Andrew
That ignores the fact that Scotland and NI are part of the uk!
I think you’ll find disease has no part in this argument, there is no suggestion that the two countries are any different rabies or worms wise. The worming idea has come about as we are no longer in the EU so ROI must be protected! No logic.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I was a little concerned too, but entered via Larne and only check on anything was the guy at port asked to look in bathroom.
Nothing else, not even asked to show passport, I know it's part of UK but thought there may be id check.
Open borders between NI and ROI 👍
Thanks to Minnie who did the trip and confirmed no checks, I went with no AHC

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I think you’ll find disease has no part in this argument, there is no suggestion that the two countries are any different rabies or worms wise. The worming idea has come about as we are no longer in the EU so ROI must be protected! No logic.
I'm fairly new to all this pet nonsense, but for example last year the dogs had to have worm tablets from a vet and wait 24 hours at the Calais border to come back into the UK. It's not suddenly changed because we are no longer in the EU.

You can go anywhere in the EU and get an EU pet passport. If you don't already have an old pet passport, you need an AHC to get into the EU and for the pet details to be officially transferred. Once you have a pet passport, that's it for 10 years. No AHC required.

You need an AHC to take the pet outside of the UK, into the EU. The advantage of the NI/ROI route is, at the moment an AHC is not required to cross either of the borders. The EU regulations are fully satisfied, and the UK authorities don't give a

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Belfast Live: 08 Sep 2021

20210915_130127.jpg

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Belfast Live: 08 Sep 2021

View attachment 537008
This article was below the one you posted, don't shoot the messenger.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
This article was below the one you posted, don't shoot the messenger.

Well spotted Bolti

It looks as if the ROI is taking things very seriously and I for one wouldn't take the chance.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I don't normally correct spellings but if anyone is looking this up on a computer it's

Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just to add here we went to Carne Vets for our dog's EU passport a few weeks back. After emailing some vets in Ireland I decided it was best to have the AHC just in case. I may have done it differently now that I have read this thread but c'est la vie, at least we got the passport and I won't have to pay for an AHC again.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
For those that got the passports in Donegal, did you just ring the vets when you got there and organised appointment?

Dec 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Hi we just got our seven month old Mollie a pet passport from Anne, lovely lady, we just turned up. As we have entered and exiting from the North we didn't need the rabbies injection until we go abroad next year
She is located on a farm. We thought we had taken the wrong turn when we ended up at a farm 😁😁

OP
OP
Downsie
Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
Excellent. Yes she is a lovely lady, such common sense too. My granddaughter took me to her, probably wouldn‘t have found her otherwise!

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Woohoo!

IMG_5851.jpeg

So Cairnryan - Larne - Donegal, had already rung Letterkenny Small Animal hospital to make appointment and they only had them at the Milford Branch, not a problem. So yesterday popped over there and got two Irish Passports for my dogs plus a rabies jab for one of them that had just expired for the princely sum of 115 euros. (y) (y)

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
Woohoo!

View attachment 546133

So Cairnryan - Larne - Donegal, had already rung Letterkenny Small Animal hospital to make appointment and they only had them at the Milford Branch, not a problem. So yesterday popped over there and got two Irish Passports for my dogs plus a rabies jab for one of them that had just expired for the princely sum of 115 euros. (y) (y)
Brilliant! It’s very satisfying to know it can be done , and a lot cheaper too !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back