Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Another one of those reliable return to subjects, dealt with before, posts.
Madam has decided she wants to got Ireland and to go up the Atlantic way to see what rain really is and how green grass really gets..
I have diligently been trying to find the prices of the ferries to and from using differing routes and starting points. The sites I looked at are not exactly clear but the prices all seem a bit on the high side to me.
£208 each way for Irish Ferries from different point up the coast to differing points down theirs. the Sealink ones were the same kind of cost within a small frame. The Truck ferry seemed to be a bit cheaper but I asked for return and the site gave £198 bu tI thought that must be each way as well as the others were. I couldn't get the return fare to come up so was it the return fare as well in the quote?. Is the fare that much cheaper?? I am coming from Dover so I do not want to go all the way to Scotland to go over and the others from Liverpool, Heysham and Pembroke are all the same prices.
Has anybody got a cheaper way to get over and back that they would use or is there any codes or promotions available, I do not belong to the clubs just to get ferry fare through them or is it worth it????

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
We were going to go to NI last September for ten days but the high ferry prices put us off , went to France instead , cheaper and sunnier / drier .
Shame really as I really fancied it .

Mar 26, 2012
Belfast
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Just at the moment Stenaline have re introduced up to 20% off their sailings from Liverpool or Cairnryan into Belfast. The fares are scandalous for these routes and as I have to use them with my car frequently, I have a constant complaint running with them when they come back for feedback after a crossing. They are maybe starting to realise the amount of business they are losing by ripping people off.

Other than the above discount, if you travel on the daytime sailing on Saturdays and Sundays on the Liverpool/Belfast crossing, a Motorhome of any length is the same price as a car which can work out not too bad. Probably wrong place to,say it but on the same sailings you can get your caravan on free! This same deal also applies to the Cairnryan/Belfast crossings on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. This deal works all year round as far as I'm aware.

Did the Donegal part of the Wild Atlantic Way for 5 days at Easter and had a fabulous time. Weather a bit stormy but wild camped at 4 different beach Carparks and had no problems other than the dog, at the end of the week not wanting to see another beach for yet another long walk!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I love Ireland ... can't get enough of it! Lovely country, lovely people - yes it rains but its beautiful and so relaxing there, stonking scenery and beaches - absolutely beautiful.

You can use Tesco vouchers to offset the cost of some of the ferry operators (can't remember which ones so you'll need to check the website) but I think there's a limit of £105 one way or £210 return maximum (eg £35/£70 or Tesco face value vouchers), the big bonus is that you don't pay for dogs or have to see a vet so if you have a couple of dogs it can work out pretty much the same price as going across to France. We used to go up to Stranraer but now prefer the Holyhead crossing as it's easier for us to get to and the cost is a little bit less, it does of course depend on which part of of Ireland you want to visit though. Our last trip was for 5 weeks to get the most out of the cost of the crossing!

We've been 3 times now and will probably be going again next year. (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Seat Truck is £99 each way including a cabin, free food and drink and wifi in port. Trying it out in the summer.
That'll be the £198 return that's he's got then ... no pets and no disabled facilities though.

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
Ive been crossing the Irish Sea for many, many years and basically there are two choices when it comes to fares, take it or leave it!!
There are a limited amount of operators the two main protagonists being Irish Ferries & Stena (who's fare difference is almost non existent and who seem to hold a monopoly on the shorter crossings!). P&O do a couple of crossings, but is a long drive to Cairnryan (the shortest crossing) or a long sailing from Liverpool.
But my advice is to go, you will enjoy it, the craic is good and there is no point worrying about the cost you won't be able to spend it when your dead.
Spud.

scottie

Free Member
Mar 2, 2013
chandlers ford
Funster No
MH
Astec Devon 2008
Exp
July 2012
Check Heysham to Warrenpoint, I'm hoping to do it next year as my final visit, flying over this year to sign off all the relatives and do admin bit. Have been researching wild spots, and side streets of my home town Newry, to find adequate parking. Ireland should be easier than it is.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Sea truck is great but don't expect any fancy ferry type things, VERY basic shared cabin, and can be a long crossing time

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I will wait until I can actually ring them during the day to find out the actual price on Seatruck. It might be promising but I am not holding my breath. If it was cheaper I think a load more might go.

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
nybody got a cheaper way to get over and back that they would use or is there any codes or promotions available, I do not belong to the clubs just to get ferry fare through them or is it worth it????

Used Tesco vouchers last year on the Fishguard route which would be better for you, Pembroke also. But YES it is worth it...Ireland is beautiful motor homes are welcome most places, some Aires, lots of wild camping, britstops and a safe nights scheme, we didn't try the latter. Food fuel, etc cheap enough, you must go at least once

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I will wait until I can actually ring them during the day to find out the actual price on Seatruck. It might be promising but I am not holding my breath. If it was cheaper I think a load more might go.
I think the length of the crossing will be the reason why a lot don't use it coupled with the minimal facilities - I think it takes 8 hours which is a long time.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Even the short sea route is Bl***y expensive.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Has anybody got a cheaper way to get over and back
Here you go. And, the boat is freebie, just pick one up off the beach in Lesbos. (y)

rv-boat-15.jpg

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We keep looking at Ireland but the ferry prices are always too high

But last night, inspired by this thread, I took another look

I went on Direct Ferries and found a crossing from Cairnryan to Belfast at £99 each way..

Now THAT had possibilities !
Now gotta start looking for places to go while there for a few weeks

Last edited:

finyar

Free Member
Sep 30, 2014
Wexford
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747
Exp
Since 2004
We live in Ireland and often travel direct to France cheaper than going to the UK

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Went last year Pembroke to Rosslair out and Dublin to Hollyhead back.

Was about £400 return iirc which is steep but had a brilliant time over there and would go again.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
What time of year was that for Jaws? ps hope you don't bite
That was middle of June to middle of July Ruthie :)

Yes.. I DO bite.. but limit it to stuff like bacon sarny's !

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes.. I DO bite.. but limit it to stuff like bacon sarny's !
I thought your name was the opposite of reality ... that you just give everyone a good 'gumming' ... but didn't want to be known as 'gummy bear'!!! :D

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
All I got on that link was that it didn't work.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
All I got on that link was that it didn't work.
Hmm, don't know why it stopped working but I've replaced it with another one now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back