LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We loved Ireland and want to go back but under less stressful circumstances.

Loads of places to stay either free or for not very much money on the west coast, the east coast south of Dublin wasn't so easy but when were a bit stuck and getting anxious I asked at a fuel station (as we were paying after filling up) and they directed me to a lorry park (free) and we had a quiet night (freezer lorries parked up at the distant far end of the park) along with a couple of Irish registered motorhomes.

The aire at Cobh is fabulous and trains into Cork should you wish. The Ashkeaton aire didn't feel safe (to us anyway) so we used a Britstop nearby.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
No problem wild camping, locals will tell you no camping signs only apply to travelers.

I asked in a visitor centre (Mulrany on the way to Achill Island) and was told to park on the beach car park as they only put the height barrier down when there were travelers around. We got settled in and around 9 pm there was a knock on the door. Thoughts of "oh no, we'll have to move on" came to mind but it was a guy form the visitor centre asking if we were okay and did we need anything. We dragged him kicking and screaming (but not much) to the pub.

Mulrany is on the Great Greenway Cycle route and we have done the whole route both ways :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
No but you do need to have ID at least theoretically. We’ve not needed to show anything in 2 weeks.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Do you need a passport to go over and back mines run out ?
No passport required on the routes from Scotland.
No but you do need to have ID at least theoretically. We’ve not needed to show anything in 2 weeks.
As above, we didn't need to show our passports to or from Ireland, which is just as well, cos Mr (normally) Organised here forgot the folder containing passports, driving licence, and much needed €400. ?
Fortunately, I had an alternative means of ID, should it have been required.

Cheers,

Jock. ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
We needed to show passports for the ferry from Heysham to Dublin (and return).
Shouldn't need to, just Photo ID, i.e. Driving Licence.

Possibly because we were on the freight ferry and going into Dublin rather than Belfast? Anyway we were asked for them when entering the docks in both Heysham on the way out and Dublin on the way back.

I know if you are flying into NI only photo ID is required not a passport and there are no border checks from NI and Eire (at least at the moment)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
It helped that we were pre-booked and in a UK Registered vehicle, whereupon ANPR picked us up before the booking in booth, so when asked if we were "John and Rita", the obvious answer was "YES". :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Crikes, forgot I’d started this thread.........

Well as it happens (some of you already know this) we got here in the end!! By boat...... for free ????

OK, I should confess, we sold the van, bought a yacht, and where did we end up???

South West Ireland ?

We have been over here for three weeks now and today we dropped anchor in Dingle Harbour?

Ireland? It’s great ?

00B8A717-4F73-45DB-9DD9-8869EAD305F4.jpeg

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
Father Teds house is on quite a small road :) , but they spent a lot of EU money on widening roads that don't really need it as well . Its a nice place to tour , people are very friendly , and even have time to talk to you :) Very relaxed sort of place , with some good evening entertainment :beerchug:
Ha ha,
so someone else found fathers Ted's house.

We hired a car when we went a few years back but IIRC I wouldn't want to take a motorhome down that dirt track :>)

The Burren was worth exploring as well, it's where they filmed "the old grey whistle theft" in series 2.

Damn that show was funny
"Kicking Father Brennan up the arse" was my favourite.

Graydo

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Favourite reply when asking for directions in Ireland:

"Well if I was going there, I wouldn't be starting from here".

In summary: fantastic place and great people.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back