iPhone as main internet provider (1 Viewer)

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
I get 10 meg of data at home which is enough for what I want to use it for so can you help?
I want to do the following
Use iPhone to access internet with 3 all you can eat
Add a BT hub 5 via Wi-fi or?
Add to hub via Ethernet a device so continuously on line (I know signal will drop now and again but that’s ok)
So in simple stages how can this be done without costing too much?
Thanks in advance for your help

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
If I’ve understood you correctly. Simply set up your iPhone as a hot spot in settings, which is what we do in our MotorHome, and connect other stuff, like your putter, tv etc, to it. :gum:

10meg though ????

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I sometimes find the iPhone Hotspot works better with WiFi turned off and other devices connected by Bluetooth.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
I know about hotspot but I need to know how to connect the BT hub 5 hub to iPhone so the iPhone is the provider
The final device will only connect by Ethernet cable so a hub is needed
Yes 10 meg is enough

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I think supermike was referring to 10 meg being enough.
Not wishing to find fault, but did you mean 10 GB (gigabytes)?

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Forget the hub and connect this, which has an Ethernet port, wirelessly to your phone. :gum:

Bare in mind though that using your phone like this will eat battery to the degree that it will need to be connected to the mains, a lot of the time.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
With a pc you could share your Internet connection and plug in to its ethernet socket, if its got one.

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Forget the hub and connect this, which has an Ethernet port, wirelessly to your phone. :gum:

Bare in mind though that using your phone like this will eat battery to the degree that it will need to be connected to the mains, a lot of the time.
Thanks I’ve got extenders but no way of getting to the settings as the device needs a modem due to not being able to get to its settings and I need somehow to connect iPhone to modem to device
No problem with being on mains power a lot

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have my doubts that a BT Hub 5 will connect to an iPhone, it may be looking for a BT broadband connection not an Apple processed mobile signal. Both Apple and BT are very good at trying to tie you in to their systems.
Tried that and it doesn’t work it may need to be a modem?

Was the PC you tried to connect to Apple or Windows? Windows will work with sharing software such as Connectify. Most of my kit is Apple but I carry a small old Windows PC just to run Connectify, so that I can create my own local network. I have only used it to share WiFi so far, good for outwitting the single connection rules of some sites such as C&MHC. I will give it a try with my iPhone hotspot but will have to post and disconnect to try it.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
OK that seemed to work. Enabled Hotspot on iPhone and then connected Windows laptop to Hotspot by WiFi. Using Connectify software I was then able to network my iPad to my iPhone via the laptop. I was unable to check the ethernet port because I have nothing to plug into it but Connectify Pro is supposed to support an ethernet connection.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
u will find as has already been said that most routers (bt hub) are factory configured to connect to their networks and need a physical connection to a phone line. Some do have settings that might enable you to do what you want but you need to know something (maybe a lot) about networking.
What you need is a range extender that relays wifi (again already said) from the phone and provides an ethernet port. most ethernet connected devices are simply plug and play unless its some weird and wonderful device. i cant remember ever tinkering with ethernet settings in the last 20 years.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Tried that and it doesn’t work it may need to be a modem?
From Google.

1. Press Windows key + X to open the Power User menu and select Network Connections.
  2. Right-click the network adapter with an Internet connection (Ethernet or wireless network adapter), then select Properties.
  3. Click Sharing.

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Cheers guys I want to try not to use a pc if I can help it as it’s another power drain
To try and explain more the end device will only connect to Ethernet and is a smart alarm but uses nothing at all, it notifies when triggered or if an issue
So if it can be done a cheap way of protecting
You can add pir, door sensors, video etc
Thanks for any other thoughts ?

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
Yes it is on the back of the unit.
Google Alfa r36 and look at the images

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Cheers guys I want to try not to use a pc if I can help it as it’s another power drain
To try and explain more the end device will only connect to Ethernet and is a smart alarm but uses nothing at all, it notifies when triggered or if an issue
So if it can be done a cheap way of protecting
You can add pir, door sensors, video etc
Thanks for any other thoughts ?
Just to confirm what others have mentioned:
1) BT Hubs will only connect to the BT Broadband service
2) if its a permanent device that needs a ethernet port the you need something like this I use sometghing very similar and use an ethernet connection for my Apple TV in the MoHo One thing to consider is data networks. some have 0 signal but another provider you will find you have a signal. My wife has 02 I have BT mobile (EE) normally one of us has coverage when the other doesn't so you may want to consider two sims from differing providers. One last point is that if you use a 02 Data Sim and you go to Europe it will not work unless you buy an O2 'Business' Sim. the moral of that story is double check if your data Sim will give you coverage when going abroad.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back