DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My Google Nexus 9 tablet is probably on the way out. I did a factory reset before leaving on this trip but it still crashes or locks up from time to time. The charging port is also in need of replacement.

Because I use Lightroom Mobile a lot on trips I'm tempted to move over to an iPad where this app generally works better. The problem is my Phone is still android and the PC is W10.

I pay about £10 a month for Google cloud storage which backs everything up including images at full size. Because the phone and PC use this I need the iPad to as well. A bit of Googling suggests there is a Google Drive app for iOS, does anyone have experience of it?

I understand iOS doesn't let you import photos off an SD card directly, you have to upload them to Apple Photos then import from there into Lightroom. Again, any experience of doing this would be welcome. :)

I also like Google maps and there is an iOS app for this. Is it any good?

I'm not after an iOS versus Android debate, if there was a replacement for my Nexus 9 I would probably go for that but the current Google tablets are wildly over priced and I'm not pursued yet by Samsung stuff. Mrs DBK has a basic Tab and it is rubbish compared to my Nexus. :)

I can't justify an iPad Pro so it might be an Air or the older 9.7. The Mini is nice but a bit small for working with images probably.

Any thoughts folk? :)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I have an iPad Pro and am able to import photos via imaging edge mobile then you can move it to albums etc. I am able to upload photos from a memory card on my old iPad 3 which is not supported any longer by Apple I just plug it the reader into the charging port it usually says it does not recognise it then the import button appears and you can then upload into photos.
Google maps works fine as does google.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The boss has a crapplepad an old mk3, uses Google drive without any problems, & can loads photos from an SD card via a 3 quid adaptor but she normally uses wifi direct from the camera.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Yes there is a google drive app for iOS. I use it without any problems. Google maps app also for iOS but an iPad will come with Apple Maps which is pretty good too and Apple is planning to expand its capabilities significantly.
To activate an iPad you will need to set up an Apple ID and account and this gives you limited free iCloud storage with more available for a subscription.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Just throwing this out there - have you thought of a Chromebook?
I have the Asus Flip which works both as a laptop and a tablet [and no, doesn't have to be online to use apps]

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have an iPad Pro and am able to import photos via imaging edge mobile then you can move it to albums etc. I am able to upload photos from a memory card on my old iPad 3 which is not supported any longer by Apple I just plug it the reader into the charging port it usually says it does not recognise it then the import button appears and you can then upload into photos.
Google maps works fine as does google.
If I understand you correctly it imports and uploads the photos? In other words it doesn't directly import them onto the device. You have to download from Photos later to do that?

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just throwing this out there - have you thought of a Chromebook?
I have the Asus Flip which works both as a laptop and a tablet [and no, doesn't have to be online to use apps]
It is an option but I need to check on how it works with Lightroom. I don't really want a laptop, a tablet will be smaller.

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I use Google drive on my iPad Pro. I was tempted into using it when Imdid work for a local council and it was a share. As regards mapping on the iPad I use “maps.me”. It is excellent, free, no adverts and you can load as many or as few countries as you want to use offline, subject to how much space on your iPad. I found The British iIsles, all of them, France, Spain, Gib and the channel islands take up just over 2GB.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
tempted to move over to an iPad

Any thoughts folk? :)

I thought you were older and wiser than to jump, eyes wide open, into the devil's lair.

Anything that restricts what you can do when you've paid a vast fortune for it should be deposited down a deep well.

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
SWMBO and I have both bought refurbished iPads this year, to replace slow and old iPad 3s, and significant savings can be made. I bought an iPad Pro with 256GB and GPS/SIM, probably less than a year old. Kirsty has a current model 9.7, with 128GB but no GPS/SIM. Both were near perfect when delivered (screens perfect) and have performed well for nearly 6 months now. Using an eBay 10% voucher, the saving on the Pro was enormous. The cost was under £500 for the 10.5" model just replaced (but still being sold at the time by Apple for about £900). Both came from sellers with good long-term feedback and offered 12 months warranty. Apple also sell refurbished units, though savings are less.

Personally, I'd have thought the use of Lightroom would justify the Pro version of an iPad (at least that's what I'd tell anyone asking nosey questions...).

I do occasionally use Google Drive and it seems to work fine on the iPad.

I bet you are right about the SD Card Reader - it's the Apple way! I don't have a card reader but might buy one, as the app to connect my Panasonic camera by wifi isn't great and you have to disconnect from internet wifi and connect to camera wifi to use it.

Tony

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks everyone for the replies. It sounds as if this is a practical option. :)

Cheeses

Free Member
May 2, 2018
Midlothian
Funster No
MH
Hymer PVC
Exp
Ages. Since April 2018
I use W10 on my laptop, an android phone and iPad. I've used Google drive across all 3 for work data and personal use for a number of years, it works very well. I'd also recommend Google photos, I have it set to sync pictures from the phone to Google photos(which uses your Google drive storage) and so does not use is storage on the phone. This is also the setup on the iPad, so keeps the storage use to a minimum...images do not store on the native apple camera roll.... For pics from the camera, I use the lightning to USB adapter, and import straight from the camera to the iPad. The images are then backed up at full resolution to Google Photos.
On W10, as I log into chrome...I just click on a tab and my images are there to view...easy.

If you set up Google family, you can also share photos albums etc with others in your 'family'.

Sounds complicated, but very easy once done. I am not particularly an apple fan, but there is no doubt the ipad is a great device and user experience for a tablet. Colleagues at work have the new pro...I have an air 2....still a great device and screen for reasonable £.

Happy to help out if the above does not make sense.

Paul

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
It is an option but I need to check on how it works with Lightroom. I don't really want a laptop, a tablet will be smaller.

Think if you are near an apple store
You could buy it and try for 14 + 14 days then return it if it doesn't do as you need
See link
Please read apples return policy before commiting
Link below

Im using a 2018 i pad 2 similar size to a pro and will work with an apple pencil

Google collects my photos taken on my i phone/i pad stores them in the cloud
And apple spreads them to my other apple products at the same time
Ive resticted that to wifi only save me gigga bits when out

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I use W10 on my laptop, an android phone and iPad. I've used Google drive across all 3 for work data and personal use for a number of years, it works very well. I'd also recommend Google photos, I have it set to sync pictures from the phone to Google photos(which uses your Google drive storage) and so does not use is storage on the phone. This is also the setup on the iPad, so keeps the storage use to a minimum...images do not store on the native apple camera roll.... For pics from the camera, I use the lightning to USB adapter, and import straight from the camera to the iPad. The images are then backed up at full resolution to Google Photos.
On W10, as I log into chrome...I just click on a tab and my images are there to view...easy.

If you set up Google family, you can also share photos albums etc with others in your 'family'.

Sounds complicated, but very easy once done. I am not particularly an apple fan, but there is no doubt the ipad is a great device and user experience for a tablet. Colleagues at work have the new pro...I have an air 2....still a great device and screen for reasonable £.

Happy to help out if the above does not make sense.

Paul
Thank you, that's exactly what I was after - using the iPad to extract the photos then upload them ditectly to Google Photos. This is what I do now with Android devices with everything synced.

And thank you tofo for the suggestion about trying one and returning it if necessary.

Cheeses

Free Member
May 2, 2018
Midlothian
Funster No
MH
Hymer PVC
Exp
Ages. Since April 2018
I have bought refurbished a number of times direct from Apple, no difference apart from the lack of glossy packaging. In fact that’s where this iPad came from.

Cheeses

Free Member
May 2, 2018
Midlothian
Funster No
MH
Hymer PVC
Exp
Ages. Since April 2018
Thank you, that's exactly what I was after - using the iPad to extract the photos then upload them ditectly to Google Photos. This is what I do now with Android devices with everything synced.

And thank you tofo for the suggestion about trying one and returning it if necessary.

I have one of these...

Amazon product ASIN B07JMC15HV
...but there are readers with multi card slots as well as usb.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I have bought refurbished a number of times direct from Apple, no difference apart from the lack of glossy packaging. In fact that’s where this iPad came from.
You can often find good deals on the refurbished site we bought an iPad for a lot less than new and it was like new with a 12mth guarantee.???

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have one of these...

Amazon product ASIN B07JMC15HV
...but there are readers with multi card slots as well as usb.
Thanks again, that is the Apple version of the OTG adaptor I use currently with my card reader. I normally take the images off the camera by wifi but this doesn't work for my camera with RAW files so I have to set the camera to record two files one of which is a small jpg. This is fine for posting on here but it means I have to redo all the image editing when I get home using the RAW files. If I can avoid this it would be good but I need to see if it's practical using mobile data. With a fast connection, which I usually have, it should work.

Cheeses

Free Member
May 2, 2018
Midlothian
Funster No
MH
Hymer PVC
Exp
Ages. Since April 2018
You could control this somewhat by manually controlling the on / off option for 'backup and sync' in Google photos on the iPad. So you only sync the images to the cloud when on free WiFi, not your mifi.

Paul

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Why not just edit / post process the raw file, then save a copy as a jpg in the size you want for posting?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back