LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Couple of things have put me off the iPad.

No USB ports. No SD Card port, doesn't support flash, tied into apple for media and software.

The flash bit I could live with but no USB port and No SD card port and I decided against it. I am not an apple hater I have an iPod touch and an iPod shuffle and I love them both. I did have an iPhone and hated it.

At £109 for that android tablet I am tempted to be honest as that is dirt cheap for the spec. At that price I won't expect anything with the polish of an Apple iDevice but if it gets the job done that's a few beer tokens saved.:thumb:

Thanks for the info, and thanks everyone for your opinions on choices.
Didn't realise an ipad wouldn't have a slot for an SD card--how do you get photos onto it?

Think I'll go into PC World/ Curry's/ Maplins whatever else there is in UK and play with a few--and just hold the laptop hangs on a bit longer. :Eeek:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Didn't realise an ipad wouldn't have a slot for an SD card--how do you get photos onto it?

Think I'll go into PC World/ Curry's/ Maplins whatever else there is in UK and play with a few--and just hold the laptop hangs on a bit longer. :Eeek:

I got an adapter from eBay for £4.50, there's an apple camera kit for £25, you don't need that, the eBay ones work a treat. It's also got a USB port built in.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Ditto, I bought this adapter from e-Bay...

Link Removed

£3.50 delivered, works a treat. I also have a similar HDMI adapter so I can connect to the TV in HD if I like.:thumb:

I too was an iPad disbeliever until I borrowed my wife's iPad for a little while. It felt like I had swopped a Sopwith Camel for a Jet fighter....... Yes the Sopwith Camel did the job, but so did a Sinclair ZX Spectrum.......:RollEyes::RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
when you buy an ipad you must remember to buy a big bag for all the adaptor's you will need to make it work:roflmto:
the xoom takes a 32GB micro sd card as standard:thumb:
the mutts nuts the xoom is:thumb:
The XOOM is worth buying over the iPad2. Spec by spec the XOOM can beat the iPad2 from having a higher resolution display to better cameras with led flash, to stereo speakers vs. the iPad2s one, built in HDMI and USB etc. So the iPad is a few millimeters thinner and lighter than the XOOM. In real terms the difference is minimal and functionally irrelevant. But a year from now if you buy an iPad2 youre going to be kicking yourself and heres whyApples built-in obsolescence. Come late summer, when everyone is clamoring for the latest 4G phones and tablets if you own a XOOM youll be sitting pretty. On the other hand good old apple is setting iPad2 owners up to have to fork out ANOTHER £500 next year for the iPad3 to get the 4G that XOOM owners will have in a few months and on this tablet not the next. Oh...and did I mention flash support? So which really costs more if you think about it

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
drop box

You can load anything you want onto your I-pad, there are lots of different ways to achieve this, ie, Drop box, I-tunes, as others have said you can buy an adapter which will take a usb connection and also an sd card.

Once you have taken on the way apple and the I-pad work you will wonder how you managed without it.

So much smaller than a laptop and a whole lot faster, we use ours for e-mails, web browsing, playing monopoly, scrabble and all sorts of puzzles.
We have around 500 books stored on it, so plenty to read whilst away and a whole lot easier than carrying bulky books when flying abroad.
Watching u-tube, films and a fantastic sat nav sized screen when visiting new places.
The list is endless what this super compact bit of kit can do.
Highley recommended.:thumb::thumb:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
One downside of the Ipad as a ereader is it is very difficult to read in sunlight. If you like to read on a sun lounger whilst lying by the pool, get a kindle or sony ereader, or take a book.

Steve

Should add I assume the other tablets will probably have the same problem.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
You can load anything you want onto your I-pad, there are lots of different ways to achieve this, ie, Drop box, I-tunes, as others have said you can buy an adapter which will take a usb connection and also an sd card.

Once you have taken on the way apple and the I-pad work you will wonder how you managed without it.

So much smaller than a laptop and a whole lot faster, we use ours for e-mails, web browsing, playing monopoly, scrabble and all sorts of puzzles.
We have around 500 books stored on it, so plenty to read whilst away and a whole lot easier than carrying bulky books when flying abroad.
Watching u-tube, films and a fantastic sat nav sized screen when visiting new places.
The list is endless what this super compact bit of kit can do.
Highley recommended.:thumb::thumb:
try getting in the chatroom on a ipad:cry:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Xoom 2 does not have SD card slot.
you are correct it does not,motorola xoom 2 use's MotoCast.

MotoCast is the other big software feature for the Xoom 2. It's a media streaming app, essentially, but a custom one designed to make the process as easy as possible.
You install the MotoCast software on your computer, decide which folders to allow it to see, and then open the app on your Xoom to connect to those folders and stream music, videos and movies.:thumb:
the xoom i have has a card slot expandable to 32GB and 32GB built in memory :Smile:

CarolynandMike

Free Member
Nov 21, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Liberty
Exp
since 2009
Having nothing but problems with my Toshiba laptop.

I just want emails, website reading and Skype. Have no patience with slow loading of pages though. :Angry: Store photos but don't need to do a lot of documents these days.
This is on http://www.amazon.co.uk/NATPC-ULTIMATE-Capacitive-Android-tablet/dp/B007V5XL94/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=IJCUZZ9W12X0A&colid=MCOY05SEIH2K

Or would I be better splashing out on an ipad?

Know nothing about computers so advice very welcome.
Thanks.

There seems to have been little mention of the costs of running ipads and all the new technology. We have recently been told by a couple of friends that they pay £70 and £60 per month on contract to run ipads/phones/sky etc. On our pensions we couldn't really afford these sort of costs and make do with laptops - Asus and Dell; pay as you go phones which, although will go on the internet, are too costly; a pay as you go 3 dongle in the UK. We have our phone and internet with Talktalk because we get free anytime UK calls. Skype is on our laptops.

When abroad we use Macdonalds or campsites with free WiFi. We also have 3G Kindles which, although internet is slow, are free and these have been very handy to have on a number of occasions.

I know all our separate bits of technology don't readily interact with one another but, frankly, we've not found it a problem and I'm not sure we need all the gimicky apps to run our lives!

However, all that said, if I felt I could afford it, I would probably have it all as I am certainly not a technophobe.

By the way, we have friends who have ditched ipads in favour of Galaxy tabs.

Carolyn :Smile:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
I have friends with a Ipad, they buy a 3 PAYG sim for about £13 that lasts for 3Gb or 3 months, they use it daily for downloading The Times and for email, skype and browsing when away in their MH. So far the 3 months always comes first, but it does depend how much you use it obviously.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
try getting in the chatroom on a ipad:cry:

It's flash. Much as I hate flash it is a common tool on the internet from video viewers to games... Apple didn't want this on their system as it is buggy, has security holes and is a battery glutton. However the internet still uses a lot of it so I think having the option to run flash if [HI]you[/HI] choose to is important.

If you do buy an iPad. Don't get it on a 3G contract as you will pay over the odds. Buy the WiFi version and get a cheap Mifi device and you can share your 3G sim across your laptop, phone and iPad...

I wouldn't use a 10" tablet as an ereader. Far too big and backlit screen.
I still have my ancient sony ebook PRS-505 which is excellent for reading on.

Apple do engineer great products from a design point of view and they are really nice to use from an interface point of view. However in all their attention to design and interface cleverness they tend to miss out on basic features or make assumptions for the user that can be widely far of the mark.

Because android is open you can hack it or find someone on the net who has already hacked it to do what you want it to do.. I use the term hack here in the non pejorative manner that it was originally intended not the medias use of the word.

At the end of the day if budget is more important than looking good. List the things you want to do on your new tablet. Then check out all the tablets within your budget and get the one that does what you want irrespective of the OS and Brand... Buying on OS and Brand is a sure way to pay more, get less and come away dissapointed.

cudleydudley

Free Member
May 5, 2008
cheshunt herts
Funster No
MH
20012 tribute t-625
Exp
2003=11years
gromett couple of ??

IF i buy a ipad, you say not 3G what one is best, for a old funster [74] who likes to be in touch, and is envious of what his kids /grandkids/great grandkids do on theres
george

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
If you have other devices you and want to use the same source for internet across them then a mifi is worth considering, for me, it was just another device I would have to keep charged and have to carry.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
IF i buy a ipad, you say not 3G what one is best, for a old funster [74] who likes to be in touch, and is envious of what his kids /grandkids/great grandkids do on theres
george

Nothing wrong with the 3G I have one. it can be handy when no wifi is available.

You will be able to do all you want and keep up with the grandchildren on the cheapest wifi version though.

We are now a family of 4 with 4 ipads:Blush:

My daughter though has my old one after I upgraded to the latest version.

She has a fetching pink cover for it.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
It's flash. Much as I hate flash it is a common tool on the internet from video viewers to games... Apple didn't want this on their system as it is buggy, has security holes and is a battery glutton. However the internet still uses a lot of it so I think having the option to run flash if [HI]you[/HI] choose to is important.

If you do buy an iPad. Don't get it on a 3G contract as you will pay over the odds. Buy the WiFi version and get a cheap Mifi device and you can share your 3G sim across your laptop, phone and iPad...

I wouldn't use a 10" tablet as an ereader. Far too big and backlit screen.
I still have my ancient sony ebook PRS-505 which is excellent for reading on.

Apple do engineer great products from a design point of view and they are really nice to use from an interface point of view. However in all their attention to design and interface cleverness they tend to miss out on basic features or make assumptions for the user that can be widely far of the mark.

Because android is open you can hack it or find someone on the net who has already hacked it to do what you want it to do.. I use the term hack here in the non pejorative manner that it was originally intended not the medias use of the word.

At the end of the day if budget is more important than looking good. List the things you want to do on your new tablet. Then check out all the tablets within your budget and get the one that does what you want irrespective of the OS and Brand... Buying on OS and Brand is a sure way to pay more, get less and come away dissapointed.

I have an I pad unlocked 3G (2) think the I pad three has a better camera
And a better screen
I use a giffgaff sim in that also when I don't want to use 3g I take the sim out
And put it in a spare phone
Link to giffgaff bottom of this post beware it runs on O2

I have an I phone unlocked with a giffgaff sim £10 a month 250 mins
Unlimited texts unlimited Internet

Beware you occasionally need to connect to a computer
With an I pad

If you are near an apple shop try one and ask many questions
Better service than curry/comet but beware you will get sucked in
Brilliant kit in my opinion

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun