iomega NAS hard drive failed ! (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
IOMEGA - Home Media Network Hard Drive - 2TB .. about 18 months old and it has failed.. :Sad:

Switched on today and it had a 'Red' steady LED .. tried rebooting.. same.. tried a manual factory reset.. nothing .. dead as a dodo.

Been on the Iomega forums and it looks terminal.

I bought from PC World so have emailed them asking for a repair or replacement .. don't expect to get it but who knows.. maybe a good will gesture.. :roflmto:

I always thought Iomega was a reputable make .. but am having my doubts .. any recommendations.. don't want bitten twice..

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Guess the only way is to make up a RAID array with a bit of redundancy, I'm afraid Hard Disks just fail ........ not a cheap option though:

You can get a Synology DS214 for just over £200, but then you need the HD on top :Sad: - but you can use it as a mail server, VPN and many add on extras. I have a spare HP Microserver lying around if you are passing on the A1120 and want to make your own .....

Cheers

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Guess the only way is to make up a RAID array with a bit of redundancy, I'm afraid Hard Disks just fail ........ not a cheap option though:

You can get a Synology DS214 for just over £200, but then you need the HD on top :Sad: - but you can use it as a mail server, VPN and many add on extras. I have a spare HP Microserver lying around if you are passing on the A1120 and want to make your own .....

Cheers

appreciate they eventually fail, hence having another backup drive for the PC ... but in almost 20 years of home computing never had one fail.. must be lucky.. until now..

Thanks.. will keep your offer in mind.. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Jim I have a HP home server and one of the drives failed after 2 years a Seagate, it has 4 drives all 1TB each, it was the OS drive that failed, so the data was fine, just a pain in sorting it out, the replacement drive worked ok and I had a spare, the same happened again, I checked the drive can fine nothing wrong, its just fail9ing in the NAS.

So Now I back up the PC to the server and back the main server files to an external hard drive. Stupid or what?

Have you tried to connect directly to the drive using another form of connection?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I moved over to Hitachi (HGST) drives some time ago due to a bad batch of Seagate drives. Back then I was purchasing around 40 drives a year.

I have not regretted it. Backblaze did a reliability report which although not 100% scientific was a good indicator.

http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

blog-fail-drives-manufacture.jpg

Last edited:

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
i replace hundreds of drives a year, funnily enough a lot are seagate 2 tb downwards, with a nas system hopefully you had a hotspare kick in? if not the new drive will build from parity providing its above raid 0 when you insert the new compatible drive, if you had raid 0 it MAY be possible to force the drive online depending on the raid bios

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
is this a true NAS drive with raid etc. i ask as I have had a couple of friends with cheap NAS drives which were really a network connected caddy containing a standard SATA drive. pulled the drive out of the failed enclosure and connected up to a usb to sata and the drives were fine. then just bought a new enclosure and fitted the drives to them...still working fine now

a true NAS will have an onboard OS (samba etc) and usually are connected to a network attached raid controller

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks for the advice and comments..

but it definitely looks goosed.. no response from the drive and when you try to reset, it makes a whimpering sound then the red LED comes on.. indicating Drive Failure

I tried using the USB socket but no different..

good news is it has apparnatly got a three year warranty, not one as I first thought. so hopefully it will be replaced.

TheBig1

not sure about it being a proper NAS or not..it has it's own OS based on Linux I believe..
... it's an entry level drive..

description here.. http://www.dabs.com/products/iomega-2tb-home-media-network-hard-drive-cloud-edition-7J5R.html

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A traveller type gentleman once offered me a very, very good price on a NAS drive (No Ashfalt Supplied) but as I thought I would probably have to use a RAID (Recognised Ashphalt Independent Dealer) as well I didn't bother.

So I still have a PGD. (Potholed Gravel Drive).

JJ :Cool:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
NAS and RAID are two totally separate things. A lot of people seem to think that all raids are NAS and all NAS are RAID.

NAS = Network Addressable Storage. This just means any mode of data storage that is accessed over the network as opposed to directly connected to the computer.

RAID = Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks. A raid array can be internal to your computer or part of an external storage system like a NAS.

Raid comes in multiple levels the three most common are 0, 1 and 5

0, sometimes called a JBOD Just a Bunch of Disks. Combines all your disks in the array to look like one disk. So put 2 x 1TB disks in and the network will be presented with 1 x 2TB array.

1, Mirrored. 2 hard disks are mirrored. Generally both hard disks should be the same size and make etc. 2 x 1TB array will be presented as a single 1TB disk. If one fails you swap the failed one out and the data should be rebuilt from the good one.

5 has distributed parity. Basically error checking. A 3rd of your total hard disk space goes towards parity storage. To simplify it, This is like Raid one but with additional error checking. If you have 3 x 1TB disks in a raid 5 array it will be presented to the network as a single 2TB disk.

It sounds like Jim's is just a single disk in an external drive case but has a NAS feature so it can be shared across multiple computers.

Single disk means data gone unless backed up elsewhere.

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Good news.. took the drive into PC World today and after they confirmed it had failed they offered a full refund or choose another drive.. which I did.. I decided against another NAS drive and chose a 2tb Toshiba portable drive with 24 months warranty..

This is why I prefer buying stuff from high street retailers.. not the cheapest, and not always the best range of products.. but when it goes wrong.. no quibble and no hassle..

I also buy a lot of stuff on-line.. but big ticket items like TVs and electrical white goods I prefer using a well known high street retailer..

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back