IOM tt crash. (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
Very sad, I used to ride a bike as part of my job, but just watching the TT scares the hell out of me, I cannot imagine the sensation travelling through village streets at 100+mph.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Tragic but all the riders are aware of the risks.
Almost no room for error.

I had a co-pilot friend whose motivation for competing in the TT was to get enough money to pay for his Commercial Pilot Licence.

He had a friend racing in front of him, came off, through a hedge with a barbed-wire fence embedded, decapitated.

I think my friend gave up TT soon after, but he got his CPL.

He had a stutter, but I never found out if he had it before TT racing or after.

Any mention of TT gives me the shudders.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
A few years ago a neighbour on a Spanish campsite gave me an onboard helmet cd of one of his races there. Unbelievably scary, swmbo refused to even stay in the room while it replayed. A different breed, death is always an option on those roads. You have to ask, why do it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Four of us did it a hire car last year. Four 1/4 hours, including breakfast in Ramsey and a walk up the mountain.😊😊

Doing a circuit of the track is very informative. We were just about at the fifth bend when I noted that the bikes would now be lapping us had they started at the same time😱

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I went to the TT on my bike this year, and I have to say the man who comes last is still 10x braver than me! An *average* of 130mph for the top riders, over a course of more than 37 miles - wow. There is a limit to what they can do to make it safer, but personal choice to compete is a huge factor - everyone goes into it knowing what the risks are.

When the roads were open the mountain was one way, with cones out near the bungalow to slow you down a bit - but even so it was shut at least twice every day when someone lobbed their bike off the road.

Fantastic trip mind, so friendly and laid back. I lost count of how many locals said to me "It's so good to see the island alive again after Covid". Chatting to a copper at our campsite, I asked him what they thought of the TT - "We love it. Plenty of drunken idiots but they're happy drunken idiots! Everyone is here for a good time, never any trouble."

Weather was mostly good this year which helps massively!

What they have got is a demographic problem - I'd say the average visitor was 45-50, very few indeed under 40. They need to attract some of the younger generation to keep it viable in the long term.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back