Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
What a performance by Dunlop, Hutchy made a mistake in his choice of engine but even so I don't think he was gonna beat Dunlop today. Fair play what a performance from Mcguiness not bad for an old fella eh.

Not going to comment on the deaths already given my opinion no point keeps going around in circles.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Since 1981, approx 284 base jumpers/wing suit have died, thats more than the TT. You can't stop people risking their lives for that buzz. And the closer to death, the bigger the buzz.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Since 1981, approx 284 base jumpers/wing suit have died, thats more than the TT. You can't stop people risking their lives for that buzz. And the closer to death, the bigger the buzz.

Ian

What are the figures as a percentage of participants?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
What are the figures as a percentage of participants?

Who cares it's their choice, that's the point.:doh:

Done 3 base jumps in the past what a thrill right up there with racing a bike also done heli skiing.

Some of us like to push bondaries it makes us feel alive.

Why does every motorbike thread turn into a
should it be banned debate?
Bloody hell if people dislike bikes or bike racing why get involved I dislike football so don't even read football threads.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I have no interest in bikes nor the TT but as long as the spectators are not in any particular danger... and the riders know the risks & are competent - I see absolutely no reason to ban it.
Its only when things become a danger to others should "society" in the form of officialdom get involved.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Who cares it's their choice, that's the point.:doh:

Done 3 base jumps in the past what a thrill right up there with racing a bike also done heli skiing.

Some of us like to push bondaries it makes us feel alive.

Why does every motorbike thread turn into a
should it be banned debate?
Bloody hell if people dislike bikes or bike racing why get involved I dislike football so don't even read football threads.

If figures are used to support an argument, it helps to see how those figures fit into the scheme of things.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I fully understand the feeling that it's the individuals choice as to whether they take part in dangerous sports, but don't they ever consider their wives, children, parents, relatives etc.? For the sake of achieving a thrill, however wonderful it is they risk ruining the lives of all the people who care for them or even depend on them. I guess it's a similar scenario to drug taking.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Their are no verifiable figures, what their are, vary between 1000-5000 as far as I can find on Google. Some people like to put their life on the line, free climbers, base jumpers, wing suit flyers etc. I can't see why I or anybody else should try to stop them, as long as they don't endanger others, only themselves.

270 people have died since 1910 in the TT. I think the TT is probably one of the safer sports. :D

Ian

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I fully understand the feeling that it's the individuals choice as to whether they take part in dangerous sports, but don't they ever consider their wives, children, parents, relatives etc.? For the sake of achieving a thrill, however wonderful it is they risk ruining the lives of all the people who care for them or even depend on them. I guess it's a similar scenario to drug taking.
I find the deaths seriously disturbing, more so the older I get & its friends, But I have a brother who is over weight,dodgy heart,diabetic,& he smokes, he & his wife called in on us a wile back & they brought doughnuts! with them to have with their/our coffee, now it makes no difference to me but they have 2 sons & 5 gran kids,. As I see it he's no different to me racing we are both risking our lives.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Yet another thread spoiled.
A few motorbike fans can't have a discussion about a sport they love without the Spoilers getting involved.
This place isn't the MotorhomeFun I remember.
Seems to be turning into Facts maybe it's an influx from Facts since its demise.
Whatever the reason there seems to be a few who's only pleasure is searching for threads to criticize.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Donlop didn't do himself any favors with the fans after Wednesday’s second Supersport race, bitching about Hutchi's bike. I have spoke to friends out there who said it didn't go down well.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Donlop didn't do himself any favors with the fans after Wednesday’s second Supersport race, bitching about Hutchi's bike. I have spoke to friends out there who said it didn't go down well.

Agree he does make some stupid comments and certainly not my favourite rider but there's no denying his talent and determination.
Personally a Hutchy and Mcguiness fan.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
He certainly doesn't have the charm & charisma that his dad & uncle had.

Reactions: f6c

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
One of the things I enjoy about the TT is that they stick to the track, unlike some other motor sports where cutting the corner across a kerb is ok. Think there should be spikes on the kerbs so if they cut corners they get a puncture. At the TT they do not cut corners as the penalty is to great.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I think it's brilliant racing not only from the top boys but all who race.
Yes it's a pity the gloom mongers spoil a good thread.
Shame ITV4 don't show any Purple Helmet's stuff.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
One of the things I enjoy about the TT is that they stick to the track, unlike some other motor sports where cutting the corner across a kerb is ok. Think there should be spikes on the kerbs so if they cut corners they get a puncture. At the TT they do not cut corners as the penalty is to great.
Yes they do ;)

12557083_10201146891392233_511680931_o.jpg

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
A few motorbike fans can't have a discussion about a sport they love without the Spoilers getting involved.
Seems to be turning into Facts maybe it's an influx from Facts since its demise.
Whatever the reason there seems to be a few who's only pleasure is searching for threads to criticize.

That's me out of this discussion then. I'm not a spoiler, and I left Facts ages ago because it was full of people who just wanted to argue about everything. If I have an opinion it's because I think that way, not because I want to spoil/argue a point for the sake of it.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I wish itv4 would show some smaller races like at lyden. I know it's money etc but a few through the season would be nice and would give coverage to up and coming or club riders.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I have been to the TT many times, but not lately, while I appreciate the racers skill and dedication, l lost interest when all the bikes became production based, Super bikes, Supersport, Superstock etc, which watered down the interest as far as I'm concerned., maybe the Classic Festival would be the meeting to return to.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Having followed the post can't really say anyone spoiling just giving another opinion to your own, in fact probably only 5/6 contributors in total and maybe a couple following the thread and giving a different opinion which I have done
Never been a member of facts, not sure about the other couple, but not sure it's as bad as you make out

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I have been to the TT many times, but not lately, while I appreciate the racers skill and dedication, l lost interest when all the bikes became production based, Super bikes, Supersport, Superstock etc, which watered down the interest as far as I'm concerned., maybe the Classic Festival would be the meeting to return to.
I wouldn't care what they race. It's all good.

You should try riding a stock sports 1,000 then imagine racing one.

Even the boring 600 commuter bikes lap faster than Hailwood did on pukka works bikes

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Someone in an earlier post, with tongue in cheek, compared football hooligans and motorcycling which does raise an interesting point: I'm aware I am biased but in the IoM during the first couple of weeks in June there is probably the largest number of followers of their particular sport in the world. On a small island rubbing shoulders with the indigenous population. I've waited over 50 years for a single report of violence, threatening behaviour, or crowd control problems to emanate from the IoM. And I'm still waiting.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I totally agree, these racers have much bigger b@lls than me, and
I really respect that, but the bikes all look the same, whatever class, I remember Honda fours and sixes, MV's, etc, now they were different.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I know exactly what your saying, its still cracking racing but the lack of dedicated race bikes take's something away from racing these days, apart from Moto GP the sidecar class is now the only proper race bike class & they have even forced us to use production based engines, Its not good for innovation & design.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Someone in an earlier post, with tongue in cheek, compared football hooligans and motorcycling which does raise an interesting point: I'm aware I am biased but in the IoM during the first couple of weeks in June there is probably the largest number of followers of their particular sport in the world. On a small island rubbing shoulders with the indigenous population. I've waited over 50 years for a single report of violence, threatening behaviour, or crowd control problems to emanate from the IoM. And I'm still waiting.

Same at Motogp BSB & WSB I have never seen any violence and I've travelled the world to watch.
Don't forget riders were also compared to drug addicts as well as football hooligans.:eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back