LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Yes, I use one..(it depends on what battery) do a forum search, there's more info to be found on the subject, and some recommendations 👍
Thank you , been reading it and getting more confused amps,Watts solar battery banks and all this great stuff , most suggest charging when travelling I will not have that option as the battery is integrated , the bike only weighs 13kgs which means I can lift it onto the bike rack easily. I have 2 points one near the whoosh bang and 2 in the cab I found a link to ebay which looked good but I was not sure it it was an alternative charger or an inverter don't want another charger or that may mess with the warrantee. Put more thought into the damb bike than buying the car ,the van or even the house o_O

Peak input is 200w (2 amps at 100v)
So 200w at 12v is 16.6 amps.
Thanks for I am trying to remember my o level physics and I can see the the dotted ticker tape from speed vs distance.
I will probably buy and worry about charging on the road another day 😱

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
The battery is integrated into the bike so not removable. The bike weight is a major factor as don't really want to be spending more on towbar and bike racks I am looking to find a removable one at similar weight .I was hoping a could just plug it in :LOL:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
if your e-bike battery is small, it's not going to take a lot from your habitation batteries. But charging from the starter battery could drain it. Either way, try to replace what you take out as soon as possible. It could be like filling a bucket with a quart jug if you have big e-bike batteries (some are up to 1500kWh, now) so don't try recharging from flat unless driving.
I'm quite happy to use sites with EHU and that's when I do my re-charging.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
if your e-bike battery is small, it's not going to take a lot from your habitation batteries. But charging from the starter battery could drain it. Either way, try to replace what you take out as soon as possible. It could be like filling a bucket with a quart jug if you have big e-bike batteries (some are up to 1500kWh, now) so don't try recharging from flat unless driving.
I'm quite happy to use sites with EHU and that's when I do my re-charging.
I use both off grid and sites but don't want to be tied to find a site just to charge up .however my brilliant brother we were talking about keeping it in the van if I was away from it for long periods and he said if it desperate travel with the bike in side and charge it simples :doh:a bit of wiggling and it would lay flat behind the drivers seat . Oder will be going in shortly me thinks

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
To get a sensible answer you need to know the capacity of the bike battery, and the power of the charger. The capacity will probably be in watt-hours (Wh). Or it may be given in amp-hours (Ah), and then you need to know the battery voltage (V), so that battery capacity (Wh) = Ah x V.

The charger label should tell you the charger power. If the output is for example 40V 4A then the power is 40 x 4 = 160W. You can run an inverter up to about 150W from a cigarette-lighter socket, but anything bigger will need to be wired direct to the batteries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
To get a sensible answer you need to know the capacity of the bike battery, and the power of the charger. The capacity will probably be in watt-hours (Wh). Or it may be given in amp-hours (Ah), and then you need to know the battery voltage (V), so that battery capacity (Wh) = Ah x V.

The charger label should tell you the charger power. If the output is for example 40V 4A then the power is 40 x 4 = 160W. You can run an inverter up to about 150W from a cigarette-lighter socket, but anything bigger will need to be wired direct to the batteries.
this is the charger

1645901524598.png

this is what it says about the battery 250Wh

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Would it not make sense to start your engine and run at say 3000rpm whilst you use the inverter / microwave?

That way for you have a decent vsr / b2b setup, most of the current is coming from the alternator rather than the battery?

Just a thought ..

You might end up draining the starter battery though.

Others know alot more than I do!!

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The output of this charger is 42W 2A, so its output power is 42 x 2 = 84 watts. That's about the power of a high-end laptop charger. That ought to be OK to run from a small 150W inverter, which could be powered from a cigarette-lighter socket.

The battery is 250Wh, which in 12V terms is equivalent to 250/12 = 21 amp-hours (Ah) from a 12Vbattery. This could be filled a couple of times from a 100Ah leisure battery, and still not take it below 50%.

That may be a bit optimistic. You will lose up to 10% on each voltage conversion, so using an inverter you may find it takes about 30Ah from the leisure battery to charge the 21Ah bike battery. So it's not a trivial amount, but not excessive either.

In terms of solar, a 100W solar panel will give you about 30Ah on an average summer day, and 40 or 45Ah on a good day. That would refill the leisure battery, so you can charge the bike overnight when the sun isn't shining.

The charger output is 84 watts, so in theory to charge a 250Wh battery it will take 250/84 hours, ie just about exactly 3 hours. In practice it will probably take about 3.5 to 4hours. And a lot less if the battery isn't empty to start with.

If you are going to use a small 150W inverter, I think it's best to get a Pure Sine Wave (PSW) type, rather than a Modified or Quasi sine wave type. PSW inverters are more expensive, but they are kinder to sensitive electronics and it's not a great deal more for a small inverter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back