Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Inverter.
Having an extra battery and a solar panel fitted in a few weeks time, but I have a question that no one will give me a straight answer about. I have an inverter to plug into dash power socket to charge phones, camera battery, bike etc. but as we sometimes stay somewhere we like for 5 or 6 days without ehu, need ability to charge without running down starter battery.

several questions actually ---Can an inverter be fitted to van that will allow me to use the 3-pin sockets while using power from solar and batteries? If so how much does one of these yokes cost?
Any help would be appreciated. And before someone asks, I haven't a clue how many amps/watts or whatevers the few chargers I want to use would draw.
Regards:cry:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
several questions actually ---Can an inverter be fitted to van that will allow me to use the 3-pin sockets while using power from solar and batteries? If so how much does one of these yokes cost?
Any help would be appreciated. And before someone asks, I haven't a clue how many amps/watts or whatevers the few chargers I want to use would draw.
Regards:cry:

Yes.

For simplicity stick to using the socket on the inverter.

£100 is a decent guess.

Electric bikes are the killer. Phones and the like will not dent your starter battery.

You really need 200W of solar to cope with electric bikes.

You can't rely on solar in the winter.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
On my van I have a cigarette style socket wired directly to the terminals of my leisure battery,I simply plug my inverter into this also charge all my 12v items this way.:thumb:
No need to have anything draining the starter,also when you have your solar fitted add a relay that will send excess charge to your starter battery when your leisure ones full.

Vlad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
You can also buy a converter which will allow you to plug your existing inverter in to your 12v habitation system.
See Broken Link Removed

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you go to the trouble and expense of installing an inverter to supply your sockets, which is possible as I do and Techno posted a thread on here showing how to do it, you should consider fitting a larger inverter so you could run hairdryer, kettle, toaster, microwave etc. Obviously running all of the above is only practical in the summer.

One of Technos threads re inverter Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back