LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Can anyone recommend a good quality inverter and one that could run say a small hairdryer or hair straighteners.
I would like one that will run anything as Ive heard you need pure wave or something like that.

Thanks

Jeff and terri

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
This is the one I have bit big and expensive but it runs anything I throw at it and smoothly as well

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Ive just bought on of these. I liked the idea of the remote so it can be switched on / off at a convenient spot

Only tested it out using a hair drier. Seems good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jeff and terri

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
Yea I never bothered with the remote . I just did not think I would need it ??

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
How many batteries do you have, and what is the power rating? That is more important when you fit an inverter!

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
I don't have a van yet, its on order and arriving around early May. I'm building up my bottom drawer ready for the great day!
Since I'm not sure where the inverter will go, I thought the remote switch will be useful. On my mind, I'm thinking of fixing it in the garage with a couple of batteries near by. The remote just opens up a few more options where to place it.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
The inverter should be fitted as near to the battery as possible and I am also informed that when not being used they still use some battery .On that information after using the inverter I always turn it off with the remote .Could someone advise if this is in fact the case .

Jeff and terri

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
Don't know if it still uses power when not in use but I turn mine of after every use :)

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I'm following this thread with interest. I already have a 300w pure sine inverter plus 180w solar input and two 110 batteries and I'd like to upgrade to a1200w inverter to run my 900w nutribullet blender. The blender would only be used twice a day for a few minutes. I looked on eBay but was confused by all the models so I'm hoping I'll pick up some good tips
From this thread.

How many watts do you think you will need @richr ?

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
To be honest I'm not sure on Watts think I best investigate swmbo beauty tools :)

Two 110 batteries with one 100w solar panel

Looks like the old girl might be getting another panel if needed

In the immortal words of drag racers you can never have to much power :)

Thanks for the replies any more info greatfully received

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I should have said, how many amps do you need. But yes, look at the wattage of the appliance and report back. It's easier then to do the calculation.

I paid a fortune (to me) for my 300 watt pure sine inverter but I see on Amazon, a 1500 watt pure sine for £100. Are all pure sine inverters the same quality?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If all you are using it for is hairdryer or straighteners you do not need a pure sine wave model. Go for a modified sine wave model, it will be much cheaper and work just as well. We have a 2000W model (4000W peak) and it works my wife's 1200W travel hairdryer without any problems at all.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Sunshine Solar have a great choice of inverters and their remote completely switches it off without any standby power use.
I have the 2000w psw unit as it is wired into the ring main so when off grid I just switch on and all sockets are powered exactly the same as on ehu.
With psw there is no need to worry about ruining anything you may plug in.
Mine runs off two dedicated batteries with Solar charging.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Have heard of some laptop chargers that require pure sine wave, only thing I have that does not work with modified sine wave is a toothbrush charger.

Also have Sunshine solar 3 years so far all good.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I paid a fortune (to me) for my 300 watt pure sine inverter but I see on Amazon, a 1500 watt pure sine for £100. Are all pure sine inverters the same quality?

I really doubt it otherwise there would not be such a price difference.

You will find some that have the 12 volt cables installed and you will find that these are on the small side so will increase the DC voltage drop to the inverter.

Martin

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You do not need an inverter at all for laptops, tablets or phones because none of them plug in directly to the mains. Buy a 12V charger that is dedicated to the laptop (and some tablets) - just search Amazon. For all phones and tablets that use 5V USB (including ipads and iphones) just buy a 12V USB converter and plug in your existing lead. Works just fine.

Agree that inductive charging items like electric toothbrushes need pure sine wave. I get over that by buying the cheaper toothbrushes (still Oral B) that use AA batteries instead.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
I have one of these, mine has a UK socket fitted to it. It is fitted very close to the 280Ah of batteries in the garage and we operate it with the remote key fob supplied. We have used it all winter here in Benidorm without problem running the Kettle, Microwave, Hair Drier, Sky Box, Laptops and the Iron (not all at the same time), we even run the fridge on it for 4 or 5 hours a day at the moment when it is is very sunny. The batteries are topped up with 300w of solar through a mppt controller and it is all is separate from the normal van 12v system.
Cheers
Ed

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Sunshine Solar have a great choice of inverters and their remote completely switches it off without any standby power use.
I have the 2000w psw unit as it is wired into the ring main so when off grid I just switch on and all sockets are powered exactly the same as on ehu.
With psw there is no need to worry about ruining anything you may plug in.
Mine runs off two dedicated batteries with Solar charging.

That sounds just the job.

Any chance of a wiring diagram to see how you have done it.

I presume you don't get any back feed to the inverter when you go on hook up or do you have a switch over switch

Thanks

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
Either as suggested modified for your microwaves, toasters, hair dryers or Pure-sine for the elec tooth brushes or that fancy coffee machine you bring from home to make your mocha choca flappa latte thingy before you start your day out!

As inverters go these two are great and are what we regularly install:

Waeco Perfect Power PP2002 2000watt modified inverter
or
Waeco MSI1812T 1800watt Pure-sine inverter

I would also recommend the Waeco MCR-9 flush mounted remote control if your inverter will not be easy accessible?
Also when wiring these kind of sized inverter systems tie them to C/W your mains priority circuit making all you existing sockets live at a touch of a button..

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
That sounds just the job.

Any chance of a wiring diagram to see how you have done it.

I presume you don't get any back feed to the inverter when you go on hook up or do you have a switch over switch

Thanks
However you do it, please ensure that you add an additional RCD on the inverter output. We keep seeing installations where people think, erroneously, that the RCD/MCB on the incoming supply will offer them protection when using their sockets on invert mode, which obviously it cannot.

Sterling now for example will offer you a "IN/OUT" solution. In effect, an inverter with a built in transfer switch and an RCD on the inverter output.

This means you simply need to identify the wire (supply) to the 13 amp sockets (load) Cut/Re-route the supply wire to the input on the inverter and connect the other end to the output. In essence your putting the inverter in series between the mains distribution board and the 13 amp sockets.

If you have an inverter, hard wired into the 220 VAC wiring IT MUST have an additional RCD or you could kill some one.

So in easyspeak: Mains comes in via your hook up into a distribution board. Goes through the RDC (trip) and is separated via MCB(s) (Fuses) The one that goes to the sockets goes into the inverter, comes out of the inverter, through an additional RCD and is available at your 13 amp sockets. If the inverter doesn't have a built in transfer switch, use an external switching relay

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have the Waeco M1524 with remote in my new to me van fitted by vanbitz for the previous owner and it powers all the plugs.

It looks a great bit of kit...(y)

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
This thread has reminded me of something I have to do with my inverter.

Can anybody recommend a non-active in line RCD, i.e. one that does not have to be reset every time you switch the appliance on or off, please. I think I remember Andy @Techno recommending one a while ago but I can't find it.

Jeff and terri

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
I thought pure sine wave was the best option for using your microwave??
And I also run a earth wire through the floor and earth it to vehicles body underneath:)

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If all you are using it for is hairdryer or straighteners you do not need a pure sine wave model. Go for a modified sine wave model, it will be much cheaper and work just as well. We have a 2000W model (4000W peak) and it works my wife's 1200W travel hairdryer without any problems at all.
we have one the same 2000/4000 no issues and I think it was only about £50. I was shocked how cheap it was.

And before anyone says "cheap one off ebay it ll burn your van down". I have a Ford so it will be stolen before it gets burnt down

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back