Inverter (1 Viewer)

Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Hi

We have two leisure batteries and having a solar panel fitted at the end of this month. Thinking about having an inverter fitted also, as planning on wild camping in UK and Europe
'Hymer' manual states not to have one fitted 'as they would not be liable for any damage' They indicate it produces a very high voltage and could damage the electrical system
Can anyone tell me if they are scaremongering or it is true?
As reading here on the forum many funsters have them fitted

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Thinking about having an inverter fitted also, as planning on wild camping in UK and Europe

I wouldn't be without one. I have a 1000w one connected to the batteries via an isolator switch. I only switch it on when we watch TV in the evenings.
I have wired two sockets directly to the inverter and completely separate from the Burstner 240v sockets and wiring.
They only produce 240V just like the EHU, so I'm confused with Hymers scaremongering.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
They produce 240volts and should be properly wired into the existing 240volt system, I assume you have a requirement for this whilst you are off grid/wild camping, they do consume a fair amount of battery power so you need to understand what you are taking out and how you are going to put it back in.

Martin

EDIT or wired separately as above post is fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can anyone tell me if they are scaremongering or it is true?

Maybe something got lost in translation.

Yes they produce a ( relatively ) high voltage, 240V AC.
Yes they can damage your leisure battery by violently flattening it.

Mains device use 240V, your batteries are 12V so you hit the poor battery with 20 times the Amps the device takes. A 13A kettle would take 13 x 20 = 260 amp out of you leisure battery and kill in five minutes.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Hymer are covering themselves. The voltage produced is of course 230v ac. The bigger issue is the potential for the inverter to draw a very high current and so it must be wired correctly to the batteries. Hymer fit Schaudt Elektroblocs (EBL) and Schaudt recommend that an inverter should be wired to a separate, dedicated battery. They produce add-on control modules to charge the dedicated battery.
In practice, most of us wire an inverter directly to the leisure batteries and it works perfectly well. Be aware though that the control panel and circuit that is part of the Schaudt system, will not be able to measure the current drawn by the inverter, since the measuring shunt is contained within the EBL and the inverter wiring will bypass this. The result can be confusion of the control panel causing it to shut down the 12v system if it detects an unexpected low voltage condition.
Before proceeding, check that you really need an inverter, or can you make do with 12v adapters for charging small items for example. Having said that, I have a small 150 watt pure sine wave inverter and it does come in useful for charging devices and running low wattage mains items.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
My Schaudt Elektrobloc reads the battery voltage quite happily, you just need to get a feel for and keep an eye on it - when its going down to the 12.4v ish volts turn off the inverter. Although we easily watch 22"TV with a 50W sound bar and hard drive for 3 hours every night.
They are not recommended to replace the large loads of the EHU's

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
My Schaudt Elektrobloc reads the battery voltage quite happily, you just need to get a feel for and keep an eye on it - when its going down to the 12.4v ish volts turn off the inverter. Although we easily watch 22"TV with a 50W sound bar and hard drive for 3 hours every night.
They are not recommended to replace the large loads of the EHU's
Agreed, I do the same. I'm just warning the original poster that there can be a problem with the control panel. Mine is an old Schaudt panel with two needle meters showing voltage and current being drawn, but some of the more recent ones show charge remaining in the batteries and this can be inaccurate if an inverter is drawing current that the control panel cannot measure.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not had any problems with an inverter in a Hymer.
They are on the Hymer options list so they obviously don't consider it a problem even if their book contradicts themselves.

OP
OP
lamyj
Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Many thanks for all your reply's - having solar panel fitted with Eddie at Vanbitz, so will tap into his knowledge and see what he thinks before we progress
Thanks again

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
One thing to be aware of, sounds as though you'll be getting it professionally fitted and so may not apply but: I've a 1500W peak 1000W inverter, it can't handle the start up current of even 600W devices and I suspect if I continued to try would damage the electrics as it's tripped a 20A fuse - it's internal trip is slower than the fuse blows. Goes without saying it's not in the van anymore, thankfully discovered this before going to any lengths to fit it permanently.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
One thing to be aware of, sounds as though you'll be getting it professionally fitted and so may not apply but: I've a 1500W peak 1000W inverter, it can't handle the start up current of even 600W devices and I suspect if I continued to try would damage the electrics as it's tripped a 20A fuse - it's internal trip is slower than the fuse blows. Goes without saying it's not in the van anymore, thankfully discovered this before going to any lengths to fit it permanently.
I would have thought it should handle 600W OK what sort of inverter.

You say it trips a 20amp fuse is that a 12volt circuit or 240volt, I could be wrong but thought 20amp on 240volt was a bit high.

Martin

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
I think it's a rubbish inverter, but the size of the start up spike on devices took me by surprise. There was (wrongly) a 20 amp fuse in the lighter socket of the van, I was testing what the inverter would handle and so hadn't wired it into the leisure batteries thankfully.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think it's a rubbish inverter, but the size of the start up spike on devices took me by surprise. There was (wrongly) a 20 amp fuse in the lighter socket of the van, I was testing what the inverter would handle and so hadn't wired it into the leisure batteries thankfully.
It certainly wouldn't run anything more than a couple of hundred watts off 20amps 12volt supply. A 1000watt inverter needs wiring straight to the batteries with cables close to the size of your little finger and about 150amp fuse.

Martin

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
yeah I've just done the sums too, stoopidly i was using its supplied cables, that's my bad

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There was (wrongly) a 20 amp fuse in the lighter socket of the van.

I don't think those sockets are rated at 20A, they are certainly useless for a serious inverter. Your 1500W peak represents 150A and even if not driving that it's substantial power input circuit will require a hefty start-up current.

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
I don't think those sockets are rated at 20A, they are certainly useless for a serious inverter. Your 1500W peak represents 150A and even if not driving that it's substantial power input circuit will require a hefty start-up current.

yep, twas my bad I've done the sums since funflair asked. The 20 amp fuse should've been 15, but as you say it shoudln't be run from the socket with that sort of load - although it's destructions only mentioned the socket not direct wiring

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
although it's destructions only mentioned the socket not direct wiring

That is seriously bad. Maybe one set of instructions they cut and paste for all models. But you know now and in fact if wired properly via a huge fuse and a huge isolation switch ( don't trust an internal switch there will still be an unwanted load ) it may well work fine.

I have a 300W pure sine wave inverter for charging things, it's all we've ever needed and in fact it's hardly ever used.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
yep, twas my bad I've done the sums since funflair asked. The 20 amp fuse should've been 15, but as you say it shoudln't be run from the socket with that sort of load - although it's destructions only mentioned the socket not direct wiring
If it was meant to be run from a cigar socket it can't be 1500W, more likely 150W. :)

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Yep, I was thinking I'll not use it becuase it didn't seem to work - dunno why I hadn't actually done those simple sums because I have for everything 12v in the van! - but now the reality dawns I was using it wrong, I suspect we'll not need it ultimately

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
You said you were getting the fitting at Vanbitz.
End of discussion :).

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
They produce add-on control modules to charge the dedicated battery.
Don't suppose you have any idea what these are called?

We have an inverter on a separate battery not connected to the van electrics, so only charged when on hook up. This works well and removes any concerns regarding the existing leisure batteries, so far charging not an issue as we only use it to run coffee machine. But this would be interesting:).

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
This is the entry in their 2014 English language catalogue (I cannot find a more recent one on their website at the moment).
upload_2017-1-7_14-41-24.png

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Many thanks for all your reply's - having solar panel fitted with Eddie at Vanbitz, so will tap into his knowledge and see what he thinks before we progress
Thanks again
We have a 1800 W inverter with all the necessary fuses , trips & safety supplied and fitted by @eddievanbitz, which, if not on elh will supply all the mains socket in the moho and is controlled at the press of a remote button(y) ... well worth talking to Eddie.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hymer say the same in my manual. But they are (or were) happy enough to include an inverter as standard in the Starline S. And in my manual they give me instructions on how one should be wired in when you have more than one battery.

We put a 2000W (4000W peak) inverter into our B678 without any problems. I had to rewire the 2nd battery to increase the thickness of the wires between batteries. The inverter already came with very thick leads. I took the 12V directly off the batteries, but is still goes through the 500A shunt on the negative side so the Voctron battery monitor can measure and record the current it is using.

I have wired one of the existing 240V sockets direct to the inverter. You can buy the 240V connectors that Hymer use on Ebay and then take the male plug for that socket out of the multiconnector near the EBL and plug it into the female connector you put on the wire coming from the inverter.

Having said that we only use the inverter about once every 2 of 3 days for my wife's hairdryer. We have managed to make all the other electrical stuff we use work on 12V.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back