Inverter Size (2 Viewers)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I know they are convenient, but personally, I would not go for the cig lighter connection option. The cables from the cig plug to the inverter are fine, but the cabling from battery to cig lighter socket may not be up to the job of supplying the inverter without voltage-drop that will cause an alert condition on the inverter. This will be particularly true if trying to run the inverter from a 'habitation' socket rather than a dashboard base vehicle socket. Also, at 'full tilt' a 200W inverter will be pulling 17 amps and many motorhome sockets are not cabled to cope with that.
I speak from personal experience having had the problem with a 150W Sterling PSW inverter which I subsequently wired directly to the leisure batteries. (I spoke to Sterling before cutting off the cig lighter plug to check it would not invalidate the warranty.)

@JeanLuc have decided to hard wire mine also.. :)

was going to use with the 12v socket in the TV cupboard.. but after some thought about what you said, thought it prudent to hard wire direct to the battery .. and as I already have the seats out to replace the batteries can kill two birds with one stone..

nice write up by the way (y)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
yes , but there are modified sine wave inverters, and modified sine wave inverters.. not all are the same quality of wave.. generally speaking, the more extensive are a higher quality .. ie . smoother wave forms. .. but unless you stick it onto a scope you don't know.

Sterling are a good brand.. but there are some real cheap Quasi inverters that are not.

Buy a pure sine wave and you can use it for anything (within the power rating) without fear of frying .. nowadays nearly every appliance and gadget has an electronic circuit .. yes, even hair straighteners.. why take a chance..

There are big differences some are virtually squarewave. GHDs have timers and electronic circuitry that could be damaged by some lower quality so called modified sinewave inverters so be careful.

Paulene E

Free Member
Sep 29, 2014
Wakefielf
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Legend
Exp
Since 1989
I purchased a 12 volt straightener from Amazon which I have found very good. Heats up fast. No inverter needed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
No - she's wrong. God made Braun gas hotbrushes, but she now makes Babylis ones !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back