Silverstream, Tyholland, County Monaghan, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Transit Conversion
Exp
N00b
So my battoning and panneling is going in
And I am wiring and putting pipes down to future proof

Shore and Solar is not an immediate concern for me But sticking cables in for the future

Now as far as I get this

|-------- Solar
Alternator -> Start Battery - Fat Fuse - DC-DC Controller - FatFuse - Leisure Battery

But where does an invertor sit
And where does the invertor sits if it has shore capability and charge your leisure bank

After the DC controller ? Before?
Is there a risk of putting a load on your alternator?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Your inverter wants to sit physically as close as possible to your leisure batteries, if it's a stand alone inverter it could go in post build but ideally you would want a data cable to your control panel for remote switching, if it has shore power backup features it wants to be in at the time of build otherwise you are just making yourself more work, again it needs to be close to your leisure batteries with some big cables. Ideally you will have two circuits with 240v capability so that some things like water heating only run off Shore Power and others like a microwave or just general charging and TV etc run off the inverter side.

If your inverter is on and running a big load when the engine is running it will load the alternator to the max allowed by the B2B DC-DC controller.

You might need somebody who knows what they re doing to wire in the 240V side of things.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
The DC controller you refer to is the B2B, just a charger as other charging sources, like solar, shore etc. to the battery. The B2B protects the alternator from overload. The inverter sits right there with all the charging sources from the battery terminal, via fuse of course.
There are two types of inverter:
-plain stand alone, that connects to battery and makes AC power or
- inverter charger, that works as a charger and inverter. With this type, you can wire the shore in, provide shore charging, shore AC power, and continue to supply AC from battery is shore is of. If you google victron schematics, a picture will say a thousand words. It’s a nice system integration wired properly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
And I am wiring and putting pipes down to future proof
One thing I've learned is it's not really possible to forsee exactly what you will be installing in the future, everything changes so quickly. I'd bet there's lots of people, including me, that wish they had put in ducting, so that wires can be added/pulled through. Also you need to keep the 12V wiring and 240V wiring in separate ducts/conduits. You'll want to distribute 12V and/or 240V sockets around the MH, as well as all the appliances and lights etc you will want to add

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
this is a good all rounder.
Your inverter sits alone linked to your batteries, in a similar way to your dc-dc.

Leisure Battery-> Big fuse>inverter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back