Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
So what power Inverter would I need to power up my Roof Top AC on the move ?

2000/3000
1000/2000

I do not have any specs as I do not have a manual & I have tried to input the serial number in the Coleman website & it comes up with nowt.

Thanks in Advance (y)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Ok, here's my experience.

I had a air con unit fitted on my last van with its own dedicated Waeco 3000w inverter.

I had a battery bank of 4 batteries.

It doesn't work.

The reason is that the draw in Ahmps is more than what can be replaced by the on board charger. Hence after 30 mins or so the inverter will start screaming as it's battery source is drained.

Using it via a A2B charger bypassing the onboard charger may work but I could not come up with any other solutions. My answer was to sell it in the end as the only sure way of it working was on EHU which basically as we rarely use the hook up and even more rarely go to hot countries we rendered it useless.

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
They need a hefty start up feed so I guess the 3000 watt inverter would be the best, once running the power comes right down to maybe 1000 watts or less, that's around 100amps at 12v so it needs a direct feed from your alternator, and a relay to cut it off when you switch the engine off. Most alternators I think on motorhomes would be around 120amp so you would be running nearly flat out most of the time, not good for it.

They can work, but I think are not really practical. You need an RV with a built in 5kva genny like mine. (y)

Ian

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks olley mounting a generator is not feasable unless I upgrade the max vehicle weight as its taken up by having kayaks on the roof.

(y)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Mine works fine when on the move from its own dedicated inverter. The bus does have 2 alternators though, one for the engine and one for the habitation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back