Free Member
Jan 7, 2014
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie (7 years towing)
I am following all the comments and useful information about using inverters. Yet another question!
I would like to charge our electric bike batteries up, particularly on the continent. My extremely limited understanding of anything electrical is that I can and it is advisable? to charge the batteries up while on the move with a pure sine inverter (thinking of a 700watt) connected to the leisure battery. Keeping the lead as short as sensible and disconnecting the crocodile clips when not using the inverter?
My silly question then is can I use a double adapter socket in the inverter to charge both batteries (each 90watt 2amp) at once? Instead of having to charge each one separately.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Yes you can split the 230 volts into the two chargers, you will be taking around 10 amps off the 12 volt feed so if you try it off the leasure battery whilst it is not on a float charge it will not last that long. If you are charging whilst driving it may be better to connect the inverter to the vehicle battery, this is what I do.

Trying to keep this simple.:Smile:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I am following all the comments and useful information about using inverters. Yet another question!
I would like to charge our electric bike batteries up, particularly on the continent. My extremely limited understanding of anything electrical is that I can and it is advisable? to charge the batteries up while on the move with a pure sine inverter (thinking of a 700watt) connected to the leisure battery. Keeping the lead as short as sensible and disconnecting the crocodile clips when not using the inverter?
My silly question then is can I use a double adapter socket in the inverter to charge both batteries (each 90watt 2amp) at once? Instead of having to charge each one separately.

What crocodile clips? You were not thinking of connecting a 700w inverter to the batteries using croc clips I hope! It should be hard-wired with clamp connectors and thick cable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
O

olewilliam

Free Member
Jan 7, 2014
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie (7 years towing)
er... Well yes I was just going to clip them on. Mainly because the inverter I looked at had them. Now I think I understand that I should have thicker wire and bolt the leads on. So to disconnect I would need a switch between the battery and the inverter as well as the on/off switch on the inverter. Oh! Dear I'm going to stay in my garret methinks I'm safer with a paint brush.

Last edited:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Is it not possible to get specific 12v adaptors /chargers for your bike batteries, I think this would be far more efficient than using an inverter.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
er... Well yes I was just going to clip them on. Mainly because the inverter I looked at had them. Now I think I understand that I should have thicker wire and bolt the leads on. So to disconnect I would need a switch between the battery and the inverter as well as the on/off switch on the inverter. Oh! Dear I'm going to stay in my garret methinks I'm safer with a paint brush.

Have a look at this article in the downloads section - it's one I wrote earlier to paraphrase a well known saying. It refers to installing a small inverter, but the principles are exactly the same. It may give you some ideas about how best to solve your problem.

Link Removed

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
quick answer no

OP
OP
O

olewilliam

Free Member
Jan 7, 2014
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie (7 years towing)
OK Understood

Thank you all for your in-put. Jean Luc I read your practical guide and what a brilliant piece it is. What it did do was to convince me that what I thought a simple task is not. Well not for me anyway. Keep it simple is a very neat statement the problems develop when the simple bit is the doer. i.e. me!
I'll go back to the garret and stick to something I can pretend I know how to do. If I do go down the inverter route I'll hire a professional.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back