Inverter 60 to 80Amps current draw, on a leisure battery? (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
A post in another thread about the inconvenience of testing the health of a leisure battery by carrying out a continuous load test for a period of time got me thinking. From info on the web it seems that typically a relatively low power 1000W 12v DC to 230V AC inverter draws around 60 to 80 amps but I consider that to be a high current for a leisure type battery which is generally recommended as being the most compatible with sustained low current drain equipment.
Or am I missing something?

Last edited:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
A post in another thread about the inconvenience of testing the health of a leisure battery by carrying out a continuous load test for a period of time got me thinking. From info on the web it seems that typically a relatively low power 1000W 12v DC to 230V AC inverter draws around 60 to 80 amps but I consider that a high current for a leisure type battery which is generally recommended as being the most compatible with sustained low current drain equipment.
Or am I missing something?

You’re not wrong, if there’s an inverter in the system then, arguably, a drop type test may be considered a more representative test but would provide no information on the capacity of the battery.

However, in other cases (in reality, the majority of cases) a drop type test is not at all representative of usage. More importantly, the C20 (slow discharge) type test is the only way to understand if a battery has retained its nominal capacity.

It’s entirely possible that a leisure battery could ‘pass’ a drop test yet have very little capacity.

Ian

Jan 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E462
Watts is watts
at 1000w /12v it would be 83A if the inverter was running at full titty.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back