Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hello,

So, the big euro-trip is getting closer. The van has been purchased, the insurance sorted. Drove it back home in London peak hour traffic (it's a LHD) so that was an experience. We were thrilled and so excited for the trip now.

I'm a chronic micro optimiser. It's a flaw. But hey ho. So, I've been reading and reading on what we need to take. Seen all the threads on this forum. We've purchased a lot of the stuff but have a few items left. Of these, can anyone recommend (amazon or other links) :

Collapsable bucket
Watering can
Clothes line
Bungee cords
Foldable cool box (for day trips on our bikes)
Kettle (electric or stove top?)
Dust pan - We just bought the regular small handheld dustpan and brush, is this fine (bending down all the time)?
Quick drying towels (how many of these are useful?)

We haven't bought crockery and cutlery yet. Will probably just take some of it from home, but anything I should particularly look out for here? How do I secure this in the cupboards and how to stop it rattling?

I bought the Cadac Safari Chef BBQ () - What accessories do I need to connect this up to our external gas point? Do I need a second regulator? Is it better to just buy the small separate gas bottles with regulator for convenience sake?

Thanks!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
kettle to heat up on the gas if you wild and leccy if you intend being on sites with EHU
you can never have too many towels or tea towels to use as anti rattle mats.
Most people forget kitchen roll a must for cleaning your plates etc., prior to washing up thus keeping the stench out of the grey tank.
We also use a lot of scatter cushions to prevent things leaping out of the cupboards after a run.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Why a collapsible bucket? Mines full of cleaning gear and different tap connections. You will only find out what you really need after not having it. If you take absolutely everything you THINK you need you will probably be overloaded :LOL:.
Trial and error methinks, I am now discarding things I thought I needed but never have and the weight saving and space creating it's quite surprising.:whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Ah, well that's just the sort of opinion I was looking for. We leave for four months, and after that, it is back to regular lives and back to work. This is a one off trip for us for the moment. So I was trying to make sure I had what I needed before we set off. But I'm sure we'll learn on the road and pick up stuff as we go.

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi @mwark .

Get bungee cords at Pound Shop
Clothes line (don't forget pegs) Pound Shop
Roll (or two) of non-slip matting (to deaden rattles/stop stuff sliding) Pound Shop again and whilst there, have alook at their camping section to see if there's anything else that takes your fancy. The do things like packaway ponchos for rainy days.

Collapsible bucket? Don't be tempted to get the cheaper 5 litre ones. They are only the size of a flower pot! Get the 10 litre bucket. I got mine from Amazon, though there are other places. Just be aware that some suppliers look cheaper, but sting you on the P&P.

Cadac? Yes, you will def need another regulator ( may need hose and jubilee clip too???) If your van has two cylinders, simply use the spare one for the Cadac.

Don't forget some tap adaptors for you fresh water hose if you have one?

There's more, but I will leave you for a mo'.

James

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Some suggestions:
a) collapsible hose for filling fresh water tank plus hoselock tap connector
b) disinfectant wipes (for cleaning the tap before you connect your hose)
c) Loo fluid
d) If you take an electric kettle make sure it's a low wattage one otherwise you'll possibly trip the site electrics
e) maps and satnav
f) loads of tea towels to use to silence any rattles!

Get out there and try out your MH for a few days and keep a list of everything you find that you need!

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
We've found a 10 litre container with tap, plus a plastic funnel with a short screw in hose, very useful for topping up the freshwater tank to save moving the MH or getting out the long hoses.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Yup, got the corkscrew. Got the can opener.

What fold up table do you recommend?
Something like:

Or:

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I am so far the other end of the planning spectrum from you that anything I say will seem like I am taking the mickey...

but check your bed is comfy before you commit to more than a few nights in it

Upvote 0
May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Totally agree with all the above, we've bought so much stuff we're taking things out we've never used. The shops over the water will have anything you forget and more! Just remember a jacket and shoes, things we have had to buy before now........... not mine I may add !;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
:)

Points taken, thanks all.

We're going camping for this coming weekend in the van, two nights, so I guess we'll learn a bit on that trip.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Don't worry about it. If you forget something either do without it or buy it wherever you are.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think you only need to worry about things you won't be able to buy easily on your trip. So things like corkscrews, towels etc need not worry you, any supermarket will be able to supply.

To reduce rattle you can get anti-slip matting. Tesco sell it in little sheets and other outlets will sell it on rolls. Lakeland also sell pan dividers which look like felt flowers. We also use melamine plates, light and less rattle prone. We also use little tumblers instead of proper wine glasses but that may not suit everyone.

What I would advise before you leave is buy easily washed drip-dry clothing from someone like Rohan. Expensive but you won't need much of it. I got through our recent 8 week trip using just two shirts!

And above all sort out how to get on the internet wherever you maybe!

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
If you' ve not used microfibre towels before then try before you commit.I bought a set and we hate them and dislike drying ourselves with them.

Sew loops on your towels if they don' t have them as, if you use campsite showers, it is easier to hang them than risk them falling on the floor. I carry a couple of cheap bent metal ( Poundshop) over door hooks in my sponge bag for those showers without enough hooks. We also have a plastic coated extendible folding drying rack that has hooked sides to enable it to be hung out of a van window, or, in our case, over the bike rack. Any camping shop or online of the same has these. Some clothes pegs and a length of clothes line are also handy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Thanks. I've done some walking in my time (Camino) so I have gear from that, including one quick drying towel. I found it fine. I also have lightweight, quick drying clothing and underwear which I'm planning on taking. My partner will have to invest in this stuff though.

Can I buy the hose adaptors online?

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
If you' ve not used microfibre towels before then try before you commit.I bought a set and we hate them and dislike drying ourselves with them.

Sew loops on your towels if they don' t have them as, if you use campsite showers, it is easier to hang them than risk them falling on the floor. I carry a couple of cheap bent metal ( Poundshop) over door hooks in my sponge bag for those showers without enough hooks. We also have a plastic coated extendible folding drying rack that has hooked sides to enable it to be hung out of a van window, or, in our case, over the bike rack. Any camping shop or online of the same has these. Some clothes pegs and a length of clothes line are also handy.

Now that's a good idea, I shall be borrowing that! Thank you. ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Passport

Also good satnav, the books " all the aires" or similar.

Light weight drip dry clothing if going in the summer.

Insect repellant - Smidge for me.

Books, you can never have too many, phrase books, dictionary, guide books.

Maps - the laminated Michelin atlas is good and the Michelin Zoom maps if you want to look at an area in detail for cycling or walking.

Campsite and Aires info - Vicarious guide, camper contact app etc.

Prepaid card such as Caxton or credit like the Halifax Clarity card.

EHIC card.

Breakdown and medical insurance.

Three "feel at home" sim card or similar.

Unless you have specific foods you cannot live without, why carry any more extra food than you need, especially heavy liquids. We usually carry a few tins of meals, in case we should outstay available food.
Alcohol is much cheaper overseas, so not worth carrying.
Fresh food is best bought when you want it from local stores.
We carry sun creams, shampoo's and other everyday items. Lidl's, Aldi and other supermarkets carry all of the familiar goods you buy at home.
all our documents scanned and copied , kept seperate.

Halve your planned mileage, halve your planned "necessary" equipment, double your spending money
  • In France, don't forget priority to the right in towns (unless you can see that the joining road has a solid white line or stop sign). They have a habit of pulling out as a matter of course, particularly in the larger towns.
  • The same applies on minor country roads where a junction is indicated by a diagonal cross (Saltire). The road to the right has priority. If a vertical cross then you are generally on the major road.
  • In towns, pedestrians have the right to cross in front of traffic. They have to give a clear indication that they are about to step-off. This right does not apply if there is an adjacent pedestrian crossing.
  • Hi vis vest for driver and every passenger. Must be able to put them on before exiting the vehicle so don't keep them in the garage or an outside locker.
    Warning triangle
    Spare bulb set.
    First aid kit
    Beam deflectors for your lights
    Breathalysers. Technically compulsory but no penalties are issued if you don't because the French as a nation have collectively refused to carry them.
  • these items , i photocopy & keep copies handy , originals in my safe hidden in van( plus passport)
  • Driving licence
    Insurance certificate
    V5C
  • Two pin adaptor for the EHU.
    Reverse polarity tester kit, save blowing fuse on the control panel as some electrical points in france not all wired correct .
    Broken Link Removed
Remember when approaching a town or village the town/village name sign is the speed limit start & when ends when exiting T/V sign with lines thru. they are quite strict !!!!!

Don't do what I did on my first trip , on first trip to an aire, I bought several jetons ( coins for water/ electric) thinking that they would be handy for all the other aires on our trip . Nope each aire has a different jeton, so I still have 3 jetons after 7/8 trips to france which don't fit any other aires.

Upvote 0
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!

Why oh why do they never have enough hooks in showers:doh: we used a campsite in France that had a brand spanking new shower block, I go in thinking I bet this one has enough::bigsmile:

Nope, one bloody hook:swear2:

Upvote 0
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!

Now that's a good idea, I shall be borrowing that! Thank you. ::bigsmile:

Me to(y)

Upvote 0

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp
When ~I bought my Cadac Carri Chef new, it never had the fitting that connects the hose to the actual outlet on the BBQ, may be different on the Safari model but don't leave it till the last minute as its a non standard fitting so may take a few days to track one down

Upvote 0

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Looks like you've got most of it under control, but our personal experience is that we now don't take a kettle but use a saucepan to boil water for drinks etc, that saves a bit of space also, as like most folks we have limited space in our garage we now don't take a watering can but bought a new plastic petrol can, and carefully marked it to ensure nobody used it for fuel, this fits into an oval bucket which in turn fits into a wire basket that we use to fit on the front of one of our bikes.
Everything you can do to save space is important.

P.S. Welcome to the world of motorhoming, enjoy!

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Bear in mind that most European countries do not allow sales of medicines, even paracetamol or loperamide, from any other place than a pharmacy. This makes them expensive and only available when said pharmacy is open. Make sure you have a reasonable stock of everyday remedies.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
When ~I bought my Cadac Carri Chef new, it never had the fitting that connects the hose to the actual outlet on the BBQ, may be different on the Safari model but don't leave it till the last minute as its a non standard fitting so may take a few days to track one down

Turns out I don't have a hose and may need a regulator. I've never cooked on a gas bbq, always coal, so complete newbie to this. Could someone explain what I need for my Cadac Safari Chef (LP model) in order to use it? At the moment the only thing it came with something called a valve tailpiece.

So I obviously need a gas hose of some sort. And apparently I can buy something called an EN417 regulator in order to use it with disposable gas canisters.

I've uploaded some images of the LPG system. It seems as though one of the exist pipes connects to a regulator on top left of the space, then goes on to the internal van gas supply. Makes sense. You can see the system here: http://i.imgur.com/Zc3JMA5.jpg

From the above, you can see that one of the hoses goes down to the bottom left and does not pass through a regulator, this feeds the external supply point, which you can view here: http://i.imgur.com/NJpadnO.jpg

It also splits after the internal regulator to some sort of outlet on the inside of the van, which you can see here:
Shows the split, going to the right: http://i.imgur.com/FklFUm3.jpg
Shows the outlet: http://i.imgur.com/VFgyudN.jpg

What I want to do is be able to use the Cacad bbq in a convenient location which would be just outside the side sliding door of the van. The gas outlet is on the opposite side of the van to my side sliding door. The internal outlet is toward the rear of the van. Can I make this setup work, and how?

Or should I just try use disposable gas canisters, and how? (Apparently, this would work? : )

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi mwark, I use similar to the cadac hose reg assy, on the top of an campingas 907 bottle or you can use 904, bit expensive to start with but has its good side its available about everywhere on the continent. I got a free spare bottle from the local tip because the original rental is expensive

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back