Free Member
Apr 22, 2010
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel kountrylite
Exp
Started in VW Kombi in 1971
Every time I click on a new link using Google Chrome I have a new page come up promoting an online gambling site or a PC fixit site. I then click on the cross and get rid of it then the appropriate page appears. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this annoying problem?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Run your antivirus programme on a full scan. Otherwise download malwarebytes, the free version, not the paid for one. Run it and quarantine everything it finds, which could be a lot.

Alternatively, if you know what should be on your computer look through the list of programs in control panel and you will probably find the intruder listed, but you will need to be able to recognise it, a program loaded recently is probably the culprit - but some of these things can be awkward to uninstal.

OP
OP
mikeman

mikeman

Free Member
Apr 22, 2010
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel kountrylite
Exp
Thanks for your help. I did the malware scan and it found a number of problems but has not solved the original problem.
Any further ideas?
Mike

Al1

Free Member
Jul 20, 2008
Funster No
Google for and download only from Microsoft "malicious software removal tool" - tried to post a link but won't work from ipad.
Al

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
1) Have a look in the Options of the browser you use to make sure the home/start page is set to what you want.
2) As was suggested above by DevonBeekeeper, look through the list of programs in control panel. There could be a program recently installed (possibly an alternative search engine) which is the culprit.

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
I had something similar and had to look through the programme list, googling the name of each one which looked suspicious until I found the one then followed the online instructions on how to remove it.

Deleted User
I had a problem a while ago when I was getting adverts popping up on a fishing forum site. On advice from another member I downloaded a free program Adblock Plus and this cured the problem. It may be worth a try.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
MalwareBytes is free and pretty good, but if you pay £17 you can have the Premium Full version of it - you also get the key codes do protect up to 3 computers, so for less than £6 year you get to install it on 3 PCs - not bad me thinks (y)

OP
OP
mikeman

mikeman

Free Member
Apr 22, 2010
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel kountrylite
Exp
Thanks for all the suggestions. I now need to try Adblock Plus. I am off the costa del sol in the morning so will continue trying to solve this problem when I get there.

Sep 11, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
There should be a pop up blocker in you browser settings ,just turn it on
Should sort out your problem. Simples

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I had the same problem just a few days ago. It became frustrating in the extreme.
I also used free Malwarebyte which identified several problems and I also reinstalled the free AVG. I used this for several years previously. They did the trick and I now appear to be clear.
I tried Spyhunter which had also been recommended and although it identified several issues, it needed registering for a fee before they could be removed. Interestingly when I uninstalled Spyhunter I had an offer page slashing the price!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back