Introduction and request for help (1 Viewer)

NickTarn

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Compass Cruiser 750
Hi all

Just joined and after some advice and help.

We have a Compass Cruiser 750 (2001) on an extended (by ALKO) Peugeot Boxer base vehicle. it is a UK constructed vehicle and is RHD. We are trying to register it in France and have hit a series of problems.

The three main problems are to do with the braking, the rear field of view and the forward facing seatbelts in the back.

The braking problem has been solved by ALKO

The field of view and rear seat belts could be solved by a letter from Erwin Hymer but they are unwilling to provide a document saying that they meet EU type approval. They say they cannot identify the vehicle as we cannot provide the SGE number, I have since found that pre about 2002 the number was not etched on the vehicle windows. We have none of the original vehicle documents.

As I understand it when a Motor home is first designed it has to obtain class approval, which would involve a field of view test and a destructive test on the rear seatbelts.

A type approval number is put on a plate under the VIN. We have found our VIN plate but there is no type approval number on it.

Does anyone out there have a Compass Cruiser 750 and could let me know if there is a type approval number on the VIN plate and does anyone have the original documents with reference to the rear seat belt mounting and fixings.

We are reading a stage where we might have to bring the vehicle back to the UK and sell it.

Best Regards

Nick

OP
OP
N

NickTarn

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Compass Cruiser 750
Hi DBK

Yes I think you are right but we have spent over a year trying to get this done and it seems a shame to give up now.

Regards

Nick

Reactions: DBK

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
The problem with vehicles of that age there is no Certificate of Conformity so I think you are fighting a losing battle. Best to throw the towel in and sell it in the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi and welcome.

I know it's not what you want to hear but I suspect your best option is as others have said. Sell it in the UK and buy a French van. The UK market is pretty hot at the moment so you shouldn't have any issues selling it quickly and should get a very good price for it.

Sep 9, 2020
Deepest Lancashire
Funster No
MH
One day hopefully
download (1).png
Hope you get sorted one way or another.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
:welcome4:

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Noneā€¦ā€¦..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from Ciren! (y)
(come back to the UK to sell.........šŸ¤ž)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back