Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
8 years motohoming and counting
Hi all

My partner & I are looking to buy a motorhome in the not too distant to enjoy our retirement - she's already retired, I'm not far behind ! This forum looks like it is a mine of useful information and a good crowd too from what I've read so far :) I live near Manchester.

We have never owned a motor-home before but want to travel the UK and then into Europe once we get the hang of it. Having never driven one before, I am looking for an easy learning curve as possible so I think we are settled on max 6m panel van conversion, anything longer wont fit on the drive anyway. For now, coach built models are not for us. We did think about a VW California and actually rented one last weekend. It was way too small for us and not having toilet or shower was a big issue. Trekking to the loo at 2 in the morning in the Welsh wind and rain is no fun ! So next up is a rental of a 6m PVC ideally in a couple of weeks time and before we go to the NEC to have a proper look at whats available and compare the different models. Who knew there were so many variations?! I have been researching late into the night most nights , looking at web sites, video reviews etc and my head is full of facts figures weights payloads heating systems ( gas/electric or diesel, 3 way fridge or compressor - so many decisions. I was getting so confused I have started to put together a spreadsheet of everything each different manufacturer offers down the left then across the top, list each Van Type and then tick who has what as standard, what the options are and then a total price to try & compare like with like. My idea is to print a sheet off for each manufacturer and go through it with them at the NEC to make sure I haven't missed anything - webs sites and brochures don't always give the full picture and everyone sets out their info in a different way.

Our basic spec is ( & subject to change as we learn more I am sure and we are open to suggestions) -
Budget ( started at £30k but realise it needs to be nearer 40k or more if we buy new.
6m PVC 2 berth Rear Lounge, preferable U shape.
Not bothered about extra travel seats although a 3rd would allow partner to take her elderly parents out on day trips
Swivel seats and a small table up front for morning coffee or one of us is still in bed the other can read etc or go out for a walk round.
Automatic preferable but not essential
Fully winterised as want to use the Van all year round
Storage for walking coats boots and outside chairs, bike gear
I like the Fiat base van but I believe Peugeot and Citroen are pretty much the same?

So far looked at in the metal :
Vantage Med used ( 5.4m) Neo new (6.3)
IH 4 year old 6m Rear lounge
Globecar fixed/lift up rear bed
AS Warwick Duo & Stanway plus Warwick XL ( new)
Autotrail V line 610SE
Tribute 670
Autocruise Rythmn - used
looked on-line at
Wildax Aurora Leisure - going to Lincoln Motorhome show to view their range
IH 600RL
Shire Phoenix 2
Vantage Sol
Devon Aztec ( poss able to rent one of these soon)

Sorry for a long first post and I hope someone here may be able to help us with identifying a few of the pros and cons of some of the above PVC's as our quest to find a layout and Van that's right for us.

Many thanks for reading
Steve & Wendy

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN, get the layout right and your laughing but you might have to compromise, some say that you don't get it right until your on your third van but you've made a start by hiring so at least you know what you don't like. (y)

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Hi and welcome to the forums :)
@Ralph-n-Bev might be able to give you some pointers , as they did their won conversion "Pug" which turned out lovely.
Also im sure many others here will be able to guide you a bit, mind you , you seem to be doing a super job so far in making sure you get the right one for you.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
train welcome.gif

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
:hiya2:
From us in East Sussex and
:welcomesign:
I'm not a PVC expert but there are many on here that will be along to help (y)
Good luck with your search.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S
Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
Thanks all so far.

I just found a rental place in Milnrow who also do conversions for a living. Anyone heard of ranger motorhomes?

I've booked one of their 6m 2 berth pvc with rear lounge for 3 days at the end of the month.

OP
OP
S
Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
Thanks,
I think whatever I choose it will be a compromise of some sort but layout & features wise, I like the Vantage Sol and the Wildax Aurora leisure, particularly the washroom layout, which offers a bit more space to shower due to the fold up basin & doesn't need a clingy shower curtain :)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome
We have the Possl/Globecar Roadcruiser/Campscout ours comes in at 6.36 M and so far we are more than happy with it, you can get similar at 5.99M with the bed going across the back instead of back to front.
I would definitely get one with toilet, we also have a shower and we use ours but im sure you could get away without a shower just depending on what type of camping you do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back