Introducing The B Box New Prototype MH From ARV (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
This is one for the engineers amongst us to drool over, The wives would probably never let us have one as some could say as far as aesthetics go, its an ugly duckling.
That said, I had to hold my jaw up at times, as this van must be the future in terms of being not only self sufficient off grid (no mention of solar yet), but stealth also.
I love the control systems, also everything can be got at to service or repair easily, no LPG needed, diesel boilers for heating & continuous hot water, excellent water recycling and tank designs, and much much more.
As mentioned this is a prototype, so I wont bother listing the couple of design flaws that I noticed, but the fact that they invite their customers in for their input/ideas really impresses me.
I have no idea of cost, but it cannot be cheap as they say it is over engineered in places:giggle:
So what do you think Guys?
LES

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
A technical wonder I am sure. A home it is not.
Why must American designs be either too huge for our roads, too heavy for our licences or like this, a techies dream with no humanity.

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Why must American designs be either too huge for our roads, too heavy for our licences or like this, a techies dream with no humanity.
You see I knew the ladies wouldn't like it. :giggle: You could always add a few scatter cushions :giggle:
I did say it was an ugly duckling
Its not as big as our van in length, or width , and will no doubt be over 3500KG so need a C1 license.

This though, as an engineering feat deserved applause from me, as I dont see anything coming from the UK or the EU that involves direct consultation from their client base,and as has been said many times, do these various MH engineers actually ever use the vans they design, well I think these guys do.
The video will be of most interest to those looking at ideas for self builds I would guess, as many are looking at diesel heating, lithium battery packs/inverters, water tanks & insulation methods, even the clever use of water recycling etc.
I like the touch screen control system that monitors & adjusts everything in the van, but that's just me loving the fact that these guys are keeping up with technology.
This B box concept would be great perched on top of a vehicle like a unimog, or any all terrain vehicle, although I have no idea of the cost or availability for that purpose.
All the best.
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Years ago I had a Dodge Grand Caravan , American original of the Chrysler Voyager. Great car, but I thought at the time it was designed by a team of a 15 year old technical whizz kid and an 80 year old blacksmith. Most of American vehicles I've seen since, including our RV haven't convinced me to change my mind.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Certainly looks like some pretty heavy engineering in places it would be interesting to see what it weighs, he makes a big point about keeping the height down by building straight onto the chassis which is great but where is the outside storage?

Might look better with some "Ocado" signage ;)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I found myself looking for the tail lift. Looks like Drew Pritchard’s wagon out of salvage hunters

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Personally i loved it ...i think its an awesome piece of equipment ..love some of the ideas especially the water recycling etc and no uglier than some of the offerings from uk converters

Hate to imagine the price of it though

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That's easy..... They have proper roads and relaxed licencing laws.
Can't find an excuse for the last bit.
3 minutes into the video and I was sick of listening to him

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Maybe a bit ugly on the outside but stealth you want it's perfect. The build quality appears to be way ahead of most yank offerings and the ability for the customer to customise is great. Love the control panels,
The water recycling is something every van should have, a great idea.
The only thing I wouldn't be happy with is the sealed box relying on electronics to keep it ventilated I would want some permanent ventilation.

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I was surprised that the van was so airtight to need electric air recycling to expel the CO, bearing in mind its not closed off at the front cab end, like most C class vans. Still they know best I guess and would have seen the need for such a thing.
I guess the air vents for our 3 way FF must negate the need for CO extraction, as every orifice is closed at night in cold weather on our vans (well nearly every orifice except one:whistle2:)

They didn't mention solar power either, I think the system relies on an auto engine start when the batteries get low. With a compressor fridge, heating, and all the electrickery I think he mentioned that he was down to 50% on the battery bank, but after how long? hopefully at least 2/3 nights.
Still love the systems though.(y)
LES

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
The price of their panel van conversions, fully kitted out with VB, EP levellers etc etc is around $250k upwards, the order and build process takes about a year to 18 months. Mike and Marcia use the vans all the time, they frequently do improvement blogs for things they want to improve whilst away using them. They are built to be fully self contained. We have spoken to them about their vans, thought about 2 years touring the states.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think he mentioned that he was down to 50% on the battery bank, but after how long? hopefully at least 2/3 nights.
It was just the aircon running for 6 hours and the batteries down to 50%.

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Love it! surprised there was no solar panels though, the roof space looked ideal

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Not a good looking van but technically brilliant.
There are some great ideas there including the displays for water, batteries etc.
I wouldn't want a moho that looks like a delivery van but I can appreciate that a lot of people would and I would love to see some of those ideas being incorporated into 'mainstream' vans.

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back