Dec 15, 2011
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello Everyone

I am Philip 65 and am in the throes of considering the purchase of a Motorhome. I caravanned in the 1980s but then gave up as the family grew up. I am now very keen to tour the UK and the Continent on a semi-permanent basis by Motorhome, To use your jargon to become a Full timer.

I have read the current excellent books on Motorhomes but would like any input from fellow travellers who have advice on making my purchase and your favourite models.

The home must be no bigger than 2 berth,suitable for year round touring and second hand not new. I do like comfort and want to pay less than £30,000.

All contributions gratefully received except from dealers. The best way to ensure I do not buy from you is to send me a reply!

Philip

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
First of all welcome to Fun, continue to read find out as much as you can, then go to dealers try the different vans see what will work for you.

When you have a question just ask some one usually has a answer, also a good idea to invest £10 you will get the value back many times over in the ideas and answers you get on the forum.

Only you will know what will suit you, I personaly like the older Hymer's find them comfortable and sturdy with plenty of storage quite important when fulltiming. Good luck with your search.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hello Everyone

I am Philip 65 and am in the throes of considering the purchase of a Motorhome. I caravanned in the 1980s but then gave up as the family grew up. I am now very keen to tour the UK and the Continent on a semi-permanent basis by Motorhome, To use your jargon to become a Full timer.

I have read the current excellent books on Motorhomes but would like any input from fellow travellers who have advice on making my purchase and your favourite models.

The home must be no bigger than 2 berth,suitable for year round touring and second hand not new. I do like comfort and want to pay less than £30,000.

All contributions gratefully received except from dealers. The best way to ensure I do not buy from you is to send me a reply!

Philip
Hi philip
I am Ian 53
i have had several motor homes after caravaning in the 80/90s i would suggest you think about a 4 berth even if you do not use the extra beds the extra space will be a big bonus

i now have a 25foot American RV no slide outs its 4 berth but only 2 of us
its small enough for the UK roads yet big enough for full time living
being an American the standard of internal comforts is second to none
it has a big engine with LPG so its cheaper to run
its a 1998 model but looks and drives like new its just clocked up 45K miles so just runn in

hope you find the right motor home for you
be careful there are loads of poor quality vans out there
good luck Ian & Carole

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am Philip 65 and am in the throes of considering the purchase of a Motorhome. To use your jargon to become a Full timer.
Philip

I am Brian 67.

Do It !!

But 2 berths fulltiming. You would have so little space. 4 berths are usually 2 proper berths and cobbled together 2 extra berths just for the sales patter. Don't screw up a good plan by thinking too small.

£30K more than enough especially if you have the good sense to buy nearly new.

If possible, keep your options open, rent out your house rather than selling sort of thing.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Phil, there is loads of choice, you want to get it right first time so don't rush in. The best advice, especially if your not sure exactly what you want, is to go to a show or two where there are literally hundreds of makes and styles on display.

Buying a Motorhome should be a two stage process, first find out the precise make and style of van you want, you do this by lots of research and plenty of sitting in vans at shows and asking questions. Only when you know exactly what you want, do you go shopping for it. Too many people buy on impulse in the middle of the research, then regret it.

Best of luck, and welcome to the fun:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Hello Everyone

The home must be[HI] no bigger than 2 berth[/HI],suitable for year round touring and second hand not new. I do like comfort and want to pay less than £30,000.

Philip

Size and number of berths are not directly related, for example mine is 4 berth but next to me at the storage compound where I keep it is a Hymer half the size which is a 6 berth. It depends amongst other things on whether the beds are permanent or cobbled together from seating. If I was fulltiming I would certainly avoid having to patch a bed together every night, also would avoid a wet-room type shower as drying it down every time is fine for a holiday but not doing it every day for months on end (apologies to those funsters whose ablutions are of a more annual frequency)

Go to the shows and the bigger dealers and look at everything, lie on the beds and sit on the loo (don't actually use it of course although I have been told by more than one dealer of potential customers who needed a thorough test:Eeek:)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hello Philip,
name is John, other half is Mo or more usually 'woman' !
You are slightly further up the pencil than we are but age is something for others to worry about :Smile:

As others have said, size and berth numbers do not correlate .. We have a 7 berth Miller which we find about right for us in the 'room to live' department.

Also as others have said it is often well worth visiting shows to see what layout you really want.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but a lovely little van has just come up for sale on here.. Norman is selling his unit.. Very well appointed and worth a look.
You will find it in the adverts section :thumb:

Look forward to hearing how you get on Philip,, and perhaps meeting at a show or get together some time

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Hello Phillip. Firstly, if you are going to full time, then don't even think about a 2 berth! If you do, either you or your good lady wife will be full timing at Her Majesty's pleasure.....you'll kill each other with such a confined living space!

We full time, initially temporarily, but we actually quite like it! But we had the foresight to get rid of most of our odds and ends to reduce storage needs....but even after that, you will struggle! You have no idea how much gumpth you have until you full time....and when considering space, remember the silly things like seasonal attire.....it all needs to go somewhere! keep it to a minimum, and buy vacuum bags.

There are far more full-timers than you will ever believe......they won't make themselves known for a while, and do not openly advertise you are doing so - it is a trust game! I am on a CL as we speak, with two other full timers, and another coming in next week - so that is 4 out of the 5 pitches taken up with full timers.

There are lots of other tips you will pick up on the way - you certainly won't regret it! It is quite nice little life in truth - surprising for me as well!

Have a look around - I wuld suggest a 20ft 5 berth would probably be the smallest van to look for as it will give storage and space for a similar van length as a 2 berth.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi go for comfort in your van. It is not a lot of use having a drop down bed if you cannot climb into it or perhaps get out in the middle of the night if you had too much wine LAYOUT / comfort is the single most thing you should be looking at We have tied all sorts of layouts from 2 / 4 berth to 6 to 4 again then 6 again and now in a 2 which suits us great. Get out and look / try out as many bed layouts and don't be scared to put up climb in etc, etc, before buying Use one of the shows or a dealer to try this and get a good idea what is going to suit you then look for what you want.
Also try hiring one for a weekend or mid week this will give a good idea as to what you want
terry

Dec 6, 2011
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Ducato Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Hello Philip. Only recently joined myself and all the folks on here are very frendly so if you want to know something just ask, all the comments you have had so far seem spot on, take your time and have a good look around. all the best. Mike

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun. you need to be thinking about maybe an "A" class for fulltiming in space is all important.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi and welcome to the fun. you need to be thinking about maybe [HI]an "A" class for fulltiming in space[/HI] is all important.

Or maybe a space shuttle! :roflmto:

OP
OP
O

Openroad

Free Member
Dec 15, 2011
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Space for one

I should have made clear that I will be full timing solo so my space needs might be reduced a little compared to a couple. Welcome advice on homes with winter protection as my one hate is being cold!:winky:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Can't give advice on choosing mh as I IMPULSE BOUGHT.... but I am happy with my choice.. so just wanted to say WELCOME. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back