Introduced Signaller Crayfish (1 Viewer)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
At the local lake I have agreed to help catch and dispose of these introduced Crayfish.

All the licences are sorted but I would like some advice as positioning of traps, bait and what to do with the ones we catch.

Is there any Funsters with some good advice?

Nov 15, 2017
Chippenham, Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Quad slider 5th wheeler
cook them like mini lobsters. a friend used old cycle wheel, with bait in the middle (not sure what some sort of cheap meat) lower them in overnight and haule out the little b******s

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Signal crayfish are escapees from farms where they were bred for food, so they must be the tastiest! They are a big problem for fishermen though so we need to keep the numbers down. I believe you can buy commercial crayfish traps, which you can bait with Vesta chow mien or Morrisons 50p donuts (I.e., anything!)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yeah definitely cook them taste like prawny crab but you need loads of them . I find the crab pot things are the best overnight, never had much luck in the daytime.
If you want to keep some till you get some more keep them in wet sacks not in a bucket of water else they drown.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Signal crayfish are escapees from farms where they were bred for food, so they must be the tastiest! They are a big problem for fishermen though so we need to keep the numbers down. I believe you can buy commercial crayfish traps, which you can bait with Vesta chow mien or Morrisons 50p donuts (I.e., anything!)
Bacon or dead fish best

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Yeah definitely cook them taste like prawny crab but you need loads of them . I find the crab pot things are the best overnight, never had much luck in the daytime.
If you want to keep some till you get some more keep them in wet sacks not in a bucket of water else they drown.

Does the trap only go half under water? Is shallow water best? (y)

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
At the local lake I have agreed to help catch and dispose of these introduced Crayfish.

All the licences are sorted but I would like some advice as positioning of traps, bait and what to do with the ones we catch.

Is there any Funsters with some good advice?

Just drop into boiling water as you would a lobster th hen cook for a few minutes til they turn pink. Bodies are very small and hard to get into, can't just peel like prawns, claws are ok. I just turn them into a prawn cocktail.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

I understand our local fishing lake trap them twice a year and in a three acre lake once caught 250kg. :D2

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Does the trap only go half under water? Is shallow water best? (y)
No goes right in , they don't drown over night , I have found water about 2 foot deep the best but I catch mine in a river, a lake might be different

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back