Feb 4, 2019
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 686
Exp
Beginners
Hello,

I’m new to the forum and we’ve just brought our first motor home. We hired before buying to see if we liked it (love tent camping) and we’re completely hooked. The kids love it so much it’s hard to get them out of the van when we arrive places! Love all the useful advice I’ve been reading and I’m sure it won’t be long before I’ve got questions myself.

Thanks
Kay

AndyV

Free Member
Feb 5, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
since 2003
:welco:Do tell us what you have. You never know someone might have the same as you & can offer boundless information

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
and a warm welcome from us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
:welco:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Hi and welcome.
I really dont want to put a potential downer on your new purchase, but you said you had read some of the posts.

It is the bind of everyones life when they dont know about it and it is the weight of the motorhome.
According to the specs you should have 490 kgs of available load to fill up.
Unfortunately this is unlikely to include your extra battery, a lot of water, solar panels, awning, bike rack etc and your probable figure is likely to be closer to 200 kgs if not less, and then you can add you and your family to the weight, the bikes, the clothes, the food, cutlery and pots and pans etc.
Can i suggest going to a weighbridge and getting it weighed, either when you are fully loaded or just one person and no kit so you have some idea as to how much weight, if any, you have left to take stuff with you.

Dont worry about it as there are ways around this and having a pre 97 licence will help.

I sincerely hope I am wrong, but thought it best to bring it to your attention.

There are numerous posts about weight on here and some solutions as well.

OP
OP
Kaymaybe

Kaymaybe

Free Member
Feb 4, 2019
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 686
Exp
Beginners
Thanks for your post. Currently it’s plated to 3650kg and I can’t drive it as passed my test in 2008 (don’t fear - my husband can he’s pre 1997) However on our very first drive we loaded up and went to our local weigh bridge and we’re only 3250 with us all onboard, all our kit on, fuel full, some water, no bikes (youngest daughter only 4 so no need just yet) awning on etc. So we’re good - but thank you! I think the fact our children are still pretty young is going in our favour here. Am planning to take my test to upgrade my license so we can buy bigger next time

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Thanks for your post. Currently it’s plated to 3650kg and I can’t drive it as passed my test in 2008 (don’t fear - my husband can he’s pre 1997) However on our very first drive we loaded up and went to our local weigh bridge and we’re only 3250 with us all onboard, all our kit on, fuel full, some water, no bikes (youngest daughter only 4 so no need just yet) awning on etc. So we’re good - but thank you! I think the fact our children are still pretty young is going in our favour here. Am planning to take my test to upgrade my license so we can buy bigger next time
Good to hear. Hated having to be the one to raise the subject. Enjoy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back