Internet (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2001
Can anybody recommend , on the road internet connection , UK and abroad , at reasonable prices , probably dongle orientated , whats the best option out there. :Blush:Ronboyracer.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Around UK, a PAYG data sim card in your dongle will do the job, if there is no wifi available, something like "3" or "Vodafone" data sim.
I have both, so as to give me better signal coverage options. Some cheap data only PAYG sims can be bought on eBay.

Going abroad........ bit of a minefield.... depends on the country and what you want to do.

I'm posting this from Germany using a german "Fonic" PAYG sim working on the De, O2 network, €2.50 per day unlimited, although the speed is throttled back after the first few hundred Mb.... but I'm online the whole day for €2.50...

Sad I know:cry:

Hope that helps a little,

Callum

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Around the UK, many places have free wifi, Tesco (as long as you have a clubcard) is hte latest, I,m sure there is a database of all the free ones somewhere. Not good if you like being on MHF in the evenings while the missus does the chores:roflmto:, but OK for a bit of business or emails.

I asked my provider (orange) about the service abroad, and they offered me a (cheap bundle) for a period, which i think worked out at £2 per day for the amount i use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Why is it that dongle data cards are still so bloody expensive ?

OFTEL has managed to get some sort of control over call pricing from mobiles nowadays, yet data is still stupidly expensive and a good many are precluded from using it..

I mean, who would pay £60.00 - £75.00 a month for broadband at home ?

Yet judging by the posts on this thread that would seem perfectly acceptable ..

The first company that can do a PAYG dongle that equates to less than £20.00 to maybe £25.00 a month with more or less unlimited access ( same as most home accounts in that respect ) will probably corner the whole market ( until the other greedy buggers 'suddenly' find they can do it at the same price too ! )

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
I use the mifi gadget from 3, £18 a month for 15gb and I have never hit the limit yet watch tv episodes on catchup downloading music watching videos on youtube etc etc, It looks like a small tablet of soap and does not plug in to the usb socket on laptop (although you can to charge it) you can connect 5 devices at a time so I have cancelled our home internet provider from AOL and use it in the house for 2 iPhones and the laptop, bought a 1000ma 12v usb charger off Ebay for a couple of quid and just leave it plugged into a spare 12v socket when away in the bus.

Link Removed

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
I had a USB one from 3.

It was fine in built-up areas, but I found it terrible once you were off the beaten track, which you often are in a motorhome.

I found their customer service to be appalling and wouldn't dream of going near them again.

I've had one from 02 in the UK and that had far better coverage, although not perfect.

In Spain I had one from Orange. That cost 30 euros for 3 gig of data over a two week period. When I first got it a couple of years ago it wasn't too bad, but over the last year the connection speeds have been abismal even on 3G+. I was getting less than 5kbps, which is pretty much unusable.

Luckily, more and more sites are providing free or low cost wi-fi. I stayed on one site in North Yorkshire where for £10 a night I got EHU, water next to the MH, and free wi-fi that was so fast I did a speed check on it and found it was nearly 4 meg. Awesome!

Many Caravan Club sites are introducing a pre-paid card which is good value. I think 5 hours worked out at £5, but the great thing is you can just go on for 10 mins here and there, and it keeps a log of how long you've been on, so it has last me months.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It really depends on how you are going to use a dongle in the UK as to what is best.

If you want lot of gb, then getting a pay monthly one on contract is the way to go, the one with '3' is by far the best value for money at £18.99 for 15gb with the new mifi dongle but you have to sign up for 2 years. You can get the 'standard' mifi dongle (white one) for less (£15.99 I think) and we've been using this up to now and it is still good. Alternatively you can go for the high-speed 'standard' dongle for around the same cost and the old mifi.

However, if you don't intend to use more than, say, 1 gb a month, then a PAYG would be better especially if you get one of the older Vodaphone dongles which don't have the expiring credit so you can reduce the amount of topping up you have to do, for example if you only use about half a gb, you can keep the rest for the following/subsequent months, for all other PAYG dongles the credit only lasts for a maximum of 30 days, regardless of who they are from so you lose what's left.

We've been with '3' for nearly 4 years now - we don't have a landline telephone or broadband - and on the whole have been happy with it. The only time we tend to have problems is when they've been working on the masts in the area, but now that they've done that we're more than happy.

We are now using the new high-speed mifi dongle, unfortunately the first one we had was faulty so it has had to be exchanged, but the new one goes like the proverbial sh*t of a shovel!:thumb:

As for abroad ... sorry can't help there as it is expensive on a UK dongle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back