Internet when travelling in Europe (1 Viewer)

Paddyfrog

Free Member
Mar 25, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
We live in France, but wonder if you know how to access the internet in France, Spain and Portugal? We want to keep in touch with the offspring. Hope it doesn't mean we have to use organised camping sites all the time? We love to disappear for a week into a very large forest...... can it be done and still remain in contact should they and we want it?

Any experience and recommendations? Thank you

OP
OP
P

Paddyfrog

Free Member
Mar 25, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Geez Boringfrog, you were quick off the hop, a reply within 2 mins of posting!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
A lot of us have a Mifi device such as a HUAWEI. If you get an unlocked one, you can buy a data sim from 3 preloaded for use abroad. HOWEVER, you have to use it in UK first if you buy it here. I would imagine that you could get similar in France though.
With a Mifi you can use things like laptops, tablets and phones, up to 10 devices at a time I believe.

Another option is to get a smartphone with a large data allowance. They seem to be dropping in price and have plenty of data for emails and things like that. Mine from EE in U.K. allows me to use half my data allowance each month roaming abroad.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Using a 3 sim in my phone now (in Spain). Should be a 60 day limit, but see how it goes.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
A lot of us have a Mifi device such as a HUAWEI. If you get an unlocked one, you can buy a data sim from 3 preloaded for use abroad. HOWEVER, you have to use it in UK first if you buy it here. I would imagine that you could get similar in France though.
With a Mifi you can use things like laptops, tablets and phones, up to 10 devices at a time I believe.

Another option is to get a smartphone with a large data allowance. They seem to be dropping in price and have plenty of data for emails and things like that. Mine from EE in U.K. allows me to use half my data allowance each month roaming abroad.
Sorry, but they don't need activating in the UK.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
IF you are wild camping then look out for truck stops as a lot of their cafes have wifi and a decent priced meal (Les Routiers especially in France) also find a Mcdonalds and sit out side

then there's MiFi as described above

Also there are USB Dongles that work on 3G/4G mine is PAYG so gets topped up as necessary

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
The official 3 line is they do, but I found mine would not activate in Europe over WiFi, as I remember I had to use my phone data 4G link to do it. Have you activated yours over WiFi ???

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
We have always managed by finding either an Office de Tourisme or a bar with wifi so haven't needed to purchase anything extra.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
The official 3 line is they do, but I found mine would not activate in Europe over WiFi, as I remember I had to use my phone data 4G link to do it. Have you activated yours over WiFi ???
WiFi? Needs to be activated using the 3 data network. Put sim in MiFi unit turn on, done.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
i just connect via my phone, usually enough speed and capacity for what we need

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I meant mifi (senior moment:doh:) it wouldn't activate in my mifi but did in my phone o_O

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Don't forget the "3" sim only lasts only fot two months while abroad.

Colyboy

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Mine neede to be activated in Europe. I got it and it worked just fine here but when I had a problem in France it DID NOT WORK, they had not activated roaming, that was EE and I also could not ring in either as they need +44 on the front of the UK code not ++44 or 0044 or 1944 or anything else, it had to be +44, all the websites i had contacted gave me the other code and not +44 so I just could not ring anybody. I do not know if different companies used the the other codes or just phone boxes over ther. That is the trouble on you first trip, you just do not know these things.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have used about 7 data sims on the Three network in the last year all activated in France and Spain without any problems whatsoever.

We are data hungry and a 12gig sim lasts us about 2-3wks so the 2mth limit doesn't effect us and the huawei mifi has never failed to get a signal....(y)

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Mine neede to be activated in Europe. I got it and it worked just fine here but when I had a problem in France it DID NOT WORK, they had not activated roaming, that was EE and I also could not ring in either as they need +44 on the front of the UK code not ++44 or 0044 or 1944 or anything else, it had to be +44, all the websites i had contacted gave me the other code and not +44 so I just could not ring anybody. I do not know if different companies used the the other codes or just phone boxes over ther. That is the trouble on you first trip, you just do not know these things.
EE......shudda gone with 3. ;)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We live in France, but wonder if you know how to access the internet in France, Spain and Portugal? We want to keep in touch with the offspring. Hope it doesn't mean we have to use organised camping sites all the time? We love to disappear for a week into a very large forest...... can it be done and still remain in contact should they and we want it?

Any experience and recommendations? Thank you
If you are based in France your best bet is to see what roaming deals you can get from a French operator. For UK based folk Three are a good option but I doubt they are the best in your case.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Paddy frog.. what internet provider are you with in France... and what are you paying a month ..not being nosey

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
There is one package on at the moment ( I think it is still activve )....40 gb of mobile data anywhere in europe..unlimited home live box internet..unlimited text sms ..mms..unlimted home phone...unlimited mobile in and out of france and also ulimited phone to mobile phone and to landline in europe also other mobiles whiile out of france in europe to france or other european countries also free mobile calls to USA & Canada ..plus what you may not be interested in french tv

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I have a large data allowance on.my phone I can use anywhere in Europe with no extra cause and just got a tablet deal with 20gb from ee that can also be used anywhere in Europe so if the signals ok It should be fine

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Caveat. Not tried outside he UK. But, I have a Cheap "Smart" phone, originally bought for Granddaughter to use whilst with us from America, with a 3 Sim (24gb lasts up to 2 year). I can Host up to 10 devices on it. Cost me £35 off fleabay. Plus £22 for the sim. (Also fleabay) worked up as far as the Isle of Skye. Earlier this year. It is alleged that you can use it all over the EU (Spit!(n):whistle:) if you register for roaming?.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We have an EE dongle. It's faster than our wifi at home and, I think, really cheap to use.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I have a contract with Orange in France, 30 gig a month for €25ish all data available for roaming.
In saying that it has not worked in Spain, will have to visit Orange shop on our return to France.
We carry 3 payg sims 12 gig and a 24 gig one. These are 12 month and 24 month.
3 has worked for us in France, Spain and Portugal!
Hope this helps.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
As OP is living in France, surely this will affect what options are best? French data tariffs always seem very dear (certainly compared to Portugal) - and a lot of options require you to have a French bank a/c (which OP presumably has.)

The best domestic sim option in France always used to be the Joe network - easy for a foreigner to get - but they were taken over by Virgin a couple of years back, and suddenly you needed a French bank a/c. Might still be worth looking at Virgin Fr though to see if they still offer that sort of tariff - similar to Giffgaff in the UK.

Another vote for Huawei mifi - preferably unlocked, although in the uk you can often buy them via a network (often EE) very cheap on a 30 day rolling contract (which you can then cancel immediately) and it’s easy enough to find unlock codes on eBay. Again, not sure what options there are in the French market?

(Edit - Started writing this before 2 previous responses, both of which relate to French accounts.)

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have a contract with Orange in France, 30 gig a month for €25ish all data available for roaming.
In saying that it has not worked in Spain, will have to visit Orange shop on our return to France.
We carry 3 payg sims 12 gig and a 24 gig one. These are 12 month and 24 month.
3 has worked for us in France, Spain and Portugal!
Hope this helps.
Have you tried logging in to another network? If you get it to scan for networks and don't see orange try and get it to connect to another provider.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Using my EE based smart phone,has worked fine through France, Spain and Portugal.I get 3/4 of my UK allowance for data and unlimited calls and texts per month

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We regularly use the free WiFi at French McDonalds outlets. It’s reasonably fast and reliable but, when we tried to do the same on our last visit to Spain, the McDonalds we found did not have free WiFi.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back