internet when abroad (yet again) (1 Viewer)

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
Hi,

Having just returned from 5 months abroad, I found internet access a right pain in the neck. Now--we met people on our travels who used a unlocked dongle. Whatever country they were in, they just bought a pay as you go sim card for the best network and topped it up as required. This got around doing it in the UK and getting clobbered for the roaming charges. This is what I am thinking of going for when we head off again shortly. Any comments very welcome.

ken

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Ron & Marj

Just returned from 2.5 months in Spain & France. You are right Internet can be difficult, some of the campsite we visited were online but did find the local libraries had a free service for your own L/T also the 'Moneygram' shops excepted your L/T on their line at about 1E per 30 mins.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This has got to be the way to go Link RemovedHigh Speed internet and Eastenders anywhere in Europe :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Free wi-fi at MacDonalds...

I think you will find that MacDonalds have free wi-fi access in their restaurants. I know they have in the UK and Portugal and I am, at this very moment, using the Poitiers restaurant to post this...

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Data overseas

Hi

I have an unlocked datacard - so similar to a Dongle. I also have a WIND Italian SM card for internet access - Link Removed

Italy is very much "ahead" in way of SIM access for the net. Some European countries do not offer the service. Here is a link that may assist.

Russell

PrePaidGSM.net

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Russell

You may want to check out "3" as from what i have been told there dongle works in Italy and so apparently does there phone, for the same rates as in the UK

Hi

I have an unlocked datacard - so similar to a Dongle. I also have a WIND Italian SM card for internet access - Link Removed

Italy is very much "ahead" in way of SIM access for the net. Some European countries do not offer the service. Here is a link that may assist.

Russell

PrePaidGSM.net

OP
OP
J

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
I agree with you Jim but it's the high initial outlay plus the subscription, especially if you already have a satellite system on your van. With the unlocked Dongle, you just buy a pay as you go sim card in each country you visit (except France, Who like the UK, have you stuffed on the charges) then top it up with credits like you do a phone. It is a lot cheaper than the Alden system.

Only draw backs as far as I can see are that you end up with a sim card for each country plus you have to be in range of the signal. But where you can pick up a phone signal, you will get the internet.

cheers.

ken

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I think you will find that MacDonalds have free wi-fi access in their restaurants. I know they have in the UK and Portugal and I am, at this very moment, using the Poitiers restaurant to post this...
Mate of mine whose always nipping off down to Spain uses McDonalds. You won't find him paying for an internet connection....anywhere!!

2escapees

Deleted User
This seems a good idea.. so all I need is a pay as you go dongle how do you then get it unlocked?

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Will a pay as you go T-Mobile dongle work. I only need occasional access and if I cannot find a free WiFi wondered if it would work????

EzeeRider

OP
OP
J

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
You need an unlocked dongle. I bought mine from ebay (there is one on there at this moment for £50.00 from the same place I bought mine.) It is unlocked, meaning it will work with any pay as you go sim card just like an unlocked phone. You get free sim cards with the dongle but for use in this country only but at least you can check if it works. I set mine up and it does work.

Then when you are in Germany for example, you just buy a pay as you go sim card, put credit on it and away you go. When you move to another country, you just repeat the proccess. They won't work in france apparently, they want to tie you in with charges etc. but any-other contry will work.

See this link and read the coloured FAQs: Damm--I don't know how to put a link in.

Go to ebay-type: unlocked dongle and selected the dongle in the box from a seller name Charlottefox. I got mine the next day. Don't forget to scroll down and read the FAQs

Hope this helps. Ken

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Jacken

Thanks for the information do you need a telephone number to dial when you use a PAYG Sim from Germany etc, like you use to need here when we had dial up Internet, also do you have any idea of the cost per minute or per MB or how they charge

There seems to be a lot of companies offering to unlock broadband dongles if you use google, but the prices seem quiet high so £50 for one already unlocked doesn't appear to bad a price.

Thanks

You need an unlocked dongle. I bought mine from ebay (there is one on there at this moment for £50.00 from the same place I bought mine.) It is unlocked, meaning it will work with any pay as you go sim card just like an unlocked phone. You get free sim cards with the dongle but for use in this country only but at least you can check if it works. I set mine up and it does work.

Then when you are in Germany for example, you just buy a pay as you go sim card, put credit on it and away you go. When you move to another country, you just repeat the proccess. They won't work in france apparently, they want to tie you in with charges etc. but any-other contry will work.

See this link and read the coloured FAQs: Damm--I don't know how to put a link in.

Go to ebay-type: unlocked dongle and selected the dongle in the box from a seller name Charlottefox. I got mine the next day. Don't forget to scroll down and read the FAQs

Hope this helps. Ken

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
Thanks for the reply Brauston.
Most sim cards nowadays work with phone and data (internet). When you buy a sim card abroad you can put it in your phone Provided it's unlocked, or your dongle. You do get a number which you would use with your phone. All the sim card is doing, is allowing access to the their network for internet or phone. You top up as normal with credit. I don't know the pay as you go charges but they will probably be on a par with the UK.

ken

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
internet abroad

I have a Blackberry handset and a data SIM, which costs me £20 a month and gives me free roaming ANYWHERE in the world (It worked in the middle of the Masai Mara in Kenya!).

Only thing I can't do is use it as a modem for my laptop. I do however get all my emails (3 addresses) and can access most websites (even my Bank's).

cazd

Free Member
May 4, 2008
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New - since August 2008
I have a Blackberry handset and a data SIM, which costs me £20 a month and gives me free roaming ANYWHERE in the world (It worked in the middle of the Masai Mara in Kenya!).

That sounds good value! Which provider is that through?
Many thanks in advance.
Carol

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I'm confused, if you have a dongle why do you need a sim card. Surely the laptop and dongle give you direct access to a network without the phone?

EzeeRider

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, EzeeRider

The 3 Broadband Dongles have the same SIM cards as the mobile phones, you actually credit a mobile telephone number that is on the SIM that you slot into the Dongle, you can also use the SIM card that comes with you phone if you want to

hope that makes sense

I'm confused, if you have a dongle why do you need a sim card. Surely the laptop and dongle give you direct access to a network without the phone?

EzeeRider

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Thanks didn't realise dongles had sim slots:Doh:

EzeeRider

mikeange

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
wimborne near new forest
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
2 year (caravan before)
Internet abroad

HI
I HAVE JUST RETURNED FROM A THREE MONTH TRIP TO SOUTH OF FRANCE....THE INTERNET CHARGES ON SOME SITES WERE STEEP..SOME FREE,SOME QUITE CHEAP.
THE CHEAPEST WAS MCDONALDS...JUST PARK IN OR NEAR THEIR CAR PARKS,AND HEY PRESTO...FREE INTERNET USAGE...JUST LOG ON AND STAY ON AS LONG AS YOU LIKE...
(I HAVE AN INTERNAL WI-FI CARD...NO DONGLE REQUIRED):whatthe::winky:
MIKE AND ANGE....RAINY BOURNEMOUTH

blackie

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
N IRELAND
Funster No
MH
C/CLASS
Exp
10 YEARS
casmos 40 cm dome static

Anyone give me any info on above satalite system for southern spain,thanks blackie

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
casmos 40 cm dome static

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone give me any info on above satalite system for southern spain,thanks blackie

Hi Blackie

To get people to notice this thread I feel you should start a new one. I have a camos 40cm dome, and use a dreambox so I can get my sky package. It worked for me in Northern Spain Roses, but when we moved to Benidorm could not get anything. Hope this helps.

Happy Days from Lesley from Ilfracombe :Smile: :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back