Internet Scammers (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2013
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
HI
Be aware. There are internet scammers out there trying to take your hard earned cash!

A tip I was given this week.

If you are paying by PayPal and your want to check if it is genuine

Enter your genuine user name
then
enter a fake password

If it is a fake site it will let you in because a fake site does not know you password.
There is some very convincing PayPal fake paperwork out there don't get caught out!!

OP
OP
woolsykejosh
Jan 31, 2013
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
They are getting clever now, they are setting up their own pp chat line and the terms are working. I know someone who was unfortunate enough to get snared. All the terms etc worked on that site!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
You can often spot the scammers sites by looking for spelling mistakes!

Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
Paypal is safer than using a credit card - I´ve been a victim of credit card fraud, but not Paypal (so far).

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I think I had a fake site. I put my password in and it didn't work, so I re entered it carefully, still didn't work. So I left the site and immediately logged into the real pp and changed my password. The "fake" looked the same.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
never touch paypal can't be assed with all the fake emails after telling you they need to update etc etc etc

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Paypal is safer than using a credit card - I´ve been a victim of credit card fraud, but not Paypal (so far).
I was robbed via PayPal about 5 years ago (eBay transactions for camera equipment in Estonia), no idea how they got to do it. However, I did get a full refund, no quibbling.
I still use PayPal and haven’t had any problems since, but have had problems with my credit card. Recently my card was used for a series of Uber taxi transactions in Amsterdam. Again, money promptly refunded with no quibbling.
I always use the additional level of security on PayPal requiring a security code to be sent to my mobile phone to login.

Cards are the new cash and it’s inevitable that at some point most of us will be victims of fraud. I can live with that as long as the money is promptly refunded assuming no negligence on behalf of the cardholder. If the transaction is recorded as ‘cardholder not present’ e.g. no PIN used, repayment is more-or-less automatic.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
If you get any emails from ” PP “ Saying you have a problem & login to resolve , Ignore them , do not log in viva the email they sent but login to PP through the way you usually do & you'll then see if there is any problems which there never has been for me , all scams

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
As said above, two factor authentication is the safest way to go, a security code gets sent to your mobile to enter when you make a transaction, simples.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
2 factor coding is being rolled out (slowly) by most if not all "providers", the issue is it requires you to carry a "Smart" phone at all times!. I got caught out recently as my phone was inadvertently left in the car centre console "bin" charging.!. I was forced to spend some "Beer Tokens":( instead.

I NEVER, click on a "link", when dealing with Finance. I always go to the provider site via their official log on.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Likewise, and not even on line, but by phone at the forestry commission (parking permit). A couple of days later used for a hotel bill in New York, a place Ive never been.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back