Internet Router, some questions (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Good day to all, I am about install (DIY) a 4G/LTE system into my PVC, it will be a external roof mounted MIMO antenna from Solwise and a Router in the Van. Target price on the Router is <250 GBP, I already have a Data only sim.
I have some questions on the Router choice, I note some lack of clarity (to my eyes at least) on the specs so any info from the forum members who have fitted a similar setup is appreciated, my questions are
- Router will have its own battery, I note they are supplied with a charger for 100-240v, how are you charging the Router battery from the 12v van battery, is it like a phone setup with a small in car type charger running at 5v output, if so are there any recommendations as to what has worked well with the routers you have?
- Router choice, are there any recommendations on the Models (Huawei/Netgear/Other) and I am thinking it will be models produced over the last two years for current availability?
- Mobile Router types, its not clear if all models have the double external antenna connections (SMA/TS9/TS5), the specs do not always identify that. Is there any advice on models that have proven to be reliable and have the external antenna connections
- I note on Amazon there are 'renewed' models, has anyone tried these, any comments on them?

Thanks in advance
(and it looks like the brakes are off in April and I will try the new setup on the first trip booked for the 20th)
Just installed a RUT 240 £90 used this at the weekend and it worked well, I did not need the external ariel this time but all performed well with around 6Mb download and an o2 SSIM its a commercial product packed full of features.

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
If anyone else has difficulty understanding my question, it was a reaction to this thread's post #11 which suggested saving money on the £299 cost of the Motorhome Wifi product by buying the bits separately.
#46 asked how could the £290 be better spent.
Foe the avoidance of doubt, I hoped to hear suggestions for how you could still commit the £299 but by buying "better" (different) kit, you could result in an improved set up.
"Better", I imagined, might include wider versatility or an element of future proofing, bearing in mind 5g is becoming more widely available.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
La Strada
Exp
Me, I need simple. I will always do more ill than good when attempting DIY, so I limit my ambitions. The Netgear router I bought just plugs into a 12v USB and is 5G ready as is the sim card. But 95% or more the places we will visit will still be 3/4G fir a while to come.

Although there may be benefit in an external aerial I won't fit one. I'll break stuff.

The kit will jump on to any available free WiFi but I've always found that when you're at the end of the pontoon the signal is scant, certainly not enough to grab Wednesday's final!

Someone above bought a used one for £90 and seems happy. Great.

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
My RUT955 arrived today - got it setup with a 3 and Adsa (Vodafone) SIM card. Seems to be working fine - have also had it using the house wifi - it is now in the van running the internal cctv and going great - seems a lot better than the netgear it’s replaced.
just need the rain to stop so I can swap over the external aerials!

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
We have been using a Huawei 5577c mifi for a few years, we have a good external aerial which we use rarely as the mifi does a good enough job of connecting to mobile most of the time. Also the battery means we can if needed (not often) take it out of the van with us when we go away.

We have tried some others NetgearAircards/TPLink but not impressed by interface or performance in comparison to the 5577. Teltonika and the new Netgear look very good but at the moment the Huawei does a good job 99% of the time so having difficulty justifying a change.

We always use the mifi to connect to external WiFi hotspots at home or on site when the WiFi is available and fast enough. We could connect devices directly to the external WiFi but would have to do this for each device in the van (Firestick, Android TV, kindles, tablets, sat nav, phones, cameras, Nas box, laptop) if we connect the mifi then all other devices just work, really simple 😁.

For connecting to a distant WiFi or a weak signal we do have a directional aerial and an Alfa Router, but am thinking about removing this as 4g is becoming so widespread we never use it and seem to always use the Huawei 5577 mifi.
I have two 5577c's sitting in a box as I've never been overly impressed with their downloading or streaming capability. In this day and age a Cat 6 with a 150mbps max download mobile router isn't exactly modern and WiFi will always be governed by narrow bandwidths & be overly reliant on local area networks, it's why all of the campsites have poles everywhere.

3G's downfall was due to narrow microwaves, 4G gave us radio waves and LTE capability, 5G LTE radio waves will be like going from the Apollo 11 to the Millennium Falcon.

I'll never go back to WiFi in a motorhome, LTE everytime now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back