internet max...orange (dongle) in France (1 Viewer)

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I need a little info and advice.
This is a thread I copied & pasted for reference from another forum,(can not rember who posted it) it is called internet Max and is run by Orange in France but is written in english (it has now gone up to 12 euros due to the time lapse) the thread is below, what I want to know is anybody using internet max and can I get my emails from my usual provider, orange.fr or MSN (windows live messenger) in other words can you get your emails.....when the advert refers to webmail?

please use this link
Link Removed

and this is the thread
I am posting this courtesy of Orange France. I got their mobile broadband working today, so while the info is fresh in my mind, here's a 'how to':

Most of the information was lifted from this website.

You should get 500MB of data for €9.

You will need:
1. An unlocked broadband dongle. Mine is from Three (E160G) but there's no reason I can see why Vodafone and others wouldn't work.

2. An Orange France PAYG Mobicarte. Bought mine on Ebay.fr for about €16 including postage. You do not need a special data sim, any Mobicarte will do. You can buy them in France but you will need a French address (I later gave one that I said belonged to my brother's wife - they seemed happy with that).

3. An unlocked mobile phone (doesn't have to be 3G) to set up the service.

4. Connection software. I use MWConn by Markus Weber - freeware.

Once you have got the Mobicarte sim you need to activate it. Stick it in your phone and call 225. (Wait till you get to France to do this, or you may well find, like I did, that Orange get suspicious and suspend your sim until you turn up at one of their shops with ID and a French address.) Orange will text your mobile phone number to you. You should get a small amount of free credit with the sim, so test the phone works. Then buy a ten euro or more top up voucher at one of the many outlets that sell them and phone 224 to key in the 14 digit recharge code on the voucher. Once you have confirmed that the credit has been applied (call 221 and they will send an SMS with your credit), you need to change the tarrif. Phone 220 and listen for the option to change tarrif, then choose Options Multimedia and then tarrif 'Internet Max' (not Internet). €9 will be debited from your credit and you should get an SMS saying that you have selected Internet Max and it will be activated in under 48 hours. I expected a follow-up text to confirm activation, but never got one. Two days later I phoned 722 (not free) and found an English-speaking Orange employee who confirmed that it was activated. I then put the sim into my dongle and fired up MWConn and it worked! Note: you will have to type the APN 'orange' in the Network section of MWConn. I have used the shortcut UMTSGPRS.exe shortcut in the MWConn program group, and it seems pretty quick to me.

As I understand it, the €9 will continue to be taken off your credit every month thereafter. What happens if you want a break of a couple of months and then try to activate Internet Max again, I have no idea.

Hope this helps someone. Please read the link I gave above for further details.

thank you Mel in France :Doh::Doh:

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi Mel

Not heard about Internet max from orange sounds like a good deal.

You should get 500MB of data for €9. can't be bad at that,tried to read the pdf file terms and conditions ;but its in French:Sad::bigsmile:o you know if its payg or is it a contract ?

Be interesting to find ouy more.

Regards

Reveuse

Free Member
Jul 19, 2008
Normandy
Funster No
Exp
since 1996
haven't really got my head round all that I admit, but thought I would just throw into the mix the fact that most French sim cards, definitely Orange, have a very finite lifetime. Depending how much topup you buy, any credit that you have left expires at the end of a fortnight/month/two months, and subsequently after a certain length of time the card itself expires. Don't know if that is relevant here or not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
haven't really got my head round all that I admit, but thought I would just throw into the mix the fact that most French sim cards, definitely Orange, have a very finite lifetime. Depending how much topup you buy, any credit that you have left expires at the end of a fortnight/month/two months, and subsequently after a certain length of time the card itself expires. Don't know if that is relevant here or not.

Thank you for that info and yes it will help others....and yes you are correct as we live in France and having had a lot of bad experiences with the French Sim cards, two of Sims, one Orange (we lost a lot of Euros, because we had forgotten to top up, tried the next day, 1 day over the expiry date, only to find out we had just lost 150 Euros) and also on Virgin we have lost it three times 1 a 25 euro... 1 a 43 euro and... 1 a 74 euro ....you see we only use the phone in case of an emergency not on a daily basis so we just keep topping up then one day we forget, only to find out we have lost it all !!, some of the times we have been away with the motor home when it needed topping up, as we did all the top ups on the internet, and did not have a top up credit voucher from a tobac or supermarket!!!
We now use a sim card now from L,Clerc (going thro SFR network) it is a supermarket in France and they deduct 1.50 Euros per month from your credit which lasts 12 months from the date you put the credit on……we are in the process of changing the sim tariff to data…but as things move very slowly I France, it will take just over two months to activate (mid September…changed at the beginning of July)
Thank you Mel in France…born in Yorkshire

Last edited:
OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Mel

Not heard about Internet max from orange sounds like a good deal.

You should get 500MB of data for €9. can't be bad at that,tried to read the pdf file terms and conditions ;but its in French:Sad::bigsmile:o you know if its payg or is it a contract ?

Be interesting to find ouy more.

Regards

Roy sent you a chat.............Mel

Reveuse

Free Member
Jul 19, 2008
Normandy
Funster No
Exp
since 1996
We now use a sim card now from L,Clerc (going thro SFR network) it is a supermarket in France and they deduct 1.50 Euros per month from your credit which lasts 12 months from the date you put the credit on……we are in the process of changing the sim tariff to data…but as things move very slowly I France, it will take just over two months to activate (mid September…changed at the beginning of July)
Thank you Mel in France…born in Yorkshire

Yes I am on Leclerc Mobile too and happy with it, also it is v. easy to top up online. Didn't know they did a data tariff

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Yes I am on Leclerc Mobile too and happy with it, also it is v. easy to top up online. Didn't know they did a data tariff

Hi Reveuse........Yes you can change the tariff online.......when we purchased our sim the tariff was called "simple" but they do not do simple anymore, you can change the tariff to the new one with data online, BUT it says you can not go back to the simple tariff, this has now finished, but anybody on simple can continue...it does take a couple of months before it becomes active.....I hope info is of some help to you.

You never know we may see you sometime in our travels, as we are just above you... bottom part of pas-de-Calais near the Somme...we like Normandy very much, if we ever moved it would most likely be Normandy

Mel

Last edited:

St.Cyr

Free Member
Aug 23, 2009
West Wales/Normandy
Funster No
MH
Merc self-build
Exp
On & off, 30 years ...
Hi Reveuse - are you anywhere near St.Cyr-du-Bailleul? (Mortain/Barenton/Sourdeval area):Smile:??

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I need a little info and advice.
This is a thread I copied & pasted for reference from another forum,(can not rember who posted it) it is called internet Max and is run by Orange in France but is written in english (it has now gone up to 12 euros due to the time lapse) the thread is below, what I want to know is anybody using internet max and can I get my emails from my usual provider, orange.fr or MSN (windows live messenger) in other words can you get your emails.....when the advert refers to webmail?

please use this link
Link Removed

and this is the thread
I am posting this courtesy of Orange France. I got their mobile broadband working today, so while the info is fresh in my mind, here's a 'how to':

Most of the information was lifted from this website.

You should get 500MB of data for €9.

You will need:
1. An unlocked broadband dongle. Mine is from Three (E160G) but there's no reason I can see why Vodafone and others wouldn't work.

2. An Orange France PAYG Mobicarte. Bought mine on Ebay.fr for about €16 including postage. You do not need a special data sim, any Mobicarte will do. You can buy them in France but you will need a French address (I later gave one that I said belonged to my brother's wife - they seemed happy with that).

3. An unlocked mobile phone (doesn't have to be 3G) to set up the service.

4. Connection software. I use MWConn by Markus Weber - freeware.

Once you have got the Mobicarte sim you need to activate it. Stick it in your phone and call 225. (Wait till you get to France to do this, or you may well find, like I did, that Orange get suspicious and suspend your sim until you turn up at one of their shops with ID and a French address.) Orange will text your mobile phone number to you. You should get a small amount of free credit with the sim, so test the phone works. Then buy a ten euro or more top up voucher at one of the many outlets that sell them and phone 224 to key in the 14 digit recharge code on the voucher. Once you have confirmed that the credit has been applied (call 221 and they will send an SMS with your credit), you need to change the tarrif. Phone 220 and listen for the option to change tarrif, then choose Options Multimedia and then tarrif 'Internet Max' (not Internet). €9 will be debited from your credit and you should get an SMS saying that you have selected Internet Max and it will be activated in under 48 hours. I expected a follow-up text to confirm activation, but never got one. Two days later I phoned 722 (not free) and found an English-speaking Orange employee who confirmed that it was activated. I then put the sim into my dongle and fired up MWConn and it worked! Note: you will have to type the APN 'orange' in the Network section of MWConn. I have used the shortcut UMTSGPRS.exe shortcut in the MWConn program group, and it seems pretty quick to me.

As I understand it, the €9 will continue to be taken off your credit every month thereafter. What happens if you want a break of a couple of months and then try to activate Internet Max again, I have no idea.

Hope this helps someone. Please read the link I gave above for further details.

thank you Mel in France :Doh::Doh:

I would just like to put a closure to this thread on internet max in france by Orange...
I have just received this email/ thread from another forum...and I would not want anybody waisting anymore of there time chasing internet max in france......
Mel in france

This is the email below.

We managed to get this working last week - though we've had a couple of issues.

We went into an orange shop yesterday and got through to their customer services line. Internet Max has now been discontinued - so this little loophole has been closed. Ours will continue until the end of the month subscription then it's over.

regards

I will keep the name private, as he is off another forum.............Mel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back